Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had a Toshiba A200 for a long time and the laptop is in regular use so I leave it on sleep most of the time and then power up when I need to use it, primarily for the internet.

Recently, I've found whenever I boot it up and open up a Chrome window (tried it with Word) and after around 5/10 minutes, it freezes and then I have to power it off or after a brief usage of the laptop, a blue screen appeared with the words Memory Management?

The normal sounds a laptop makes (fan rotation) can't be heard. There is a faint noise but it's not as noisy as it used to be overall.

Help appreciated!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like the heatsink is clogged up with dust and the air can't pass through to cool the chips.
    To start with, try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out the vents.

If you have the skills and are confident, you can remove the cover and clean the heatsink.
    Otherwise you will have to take it to a computer repair shop.

This seems to be a common problem with this model, an internet search of "toshiba a200 overheating" brings up a lot of results.

If you want to replace the laptop, Lenovo and Asus are more reliable brands than Toshiba or Acer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st*r)
    It sounds like the heatsink is clogged up with dust and the air can't pass through to cool the chips.
    To start with, try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out the vents.

If you have the skills and are confident, you can remove the cover and clean the heatsink.
    Otherwise you will have to take it to a computer repair shop.

This seems to be a common problem with this model, an internet search of "toshiba a200 overheating" brings up a lot of results.

If you want to replace the laptop, Lenovo and Asus are more reliable brands than Toshiba or Acer.
    I was hoping it wouldn't something I'd have to take to the repair shop but looking at a few things on Youtube, typing in memory management shows it could be something with the memory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I was hoping it wouldn't something I'd have to take to the repair shop but looking at a few things on Youtube, typing in memory management shows it could be something with the memory?
    If you think it is the RAM, then you can run a memory test to check it.
    What version of Windows are you running?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st*r)
    If you think it is the RAM, then you can run a memory test to check it.
    What version of Windows are you running?
    Windows Vista. I've tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool but it reported no issues but the blue screen appeared and the error that came up was along the lines of 'bug code USB driver'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Windows Vista. I've tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool but it reported no issues but the blue screen appeared and the error that came up was along the lines of 'bug code USB driver'?
    If a laptop is overheating then it will just show random blue screens.
    There is a free utility called "speedfan" you can download, this will show you the temperatures and fan speed within your laptop.

May also be worth running a scandisk on your C drive, in case any files have become corrupt from all the crashing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.