Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I read a lot about flags for underperforming schools or schools which don't send many people to Oxbridge. Does this apply to international applicants too?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by scblx)
    I read a lot about flags for underperforming schools or schools which don't send many people to Oxbridge. Does this apply to international applicants too?
    They have data on Oxbridge applications, but not GCSE / A-level performance of all schools, etc.

In fact they only have school performance data for England, not the whole of the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    They have data on Oxbridge applications, but not performance of schools, etc.

In fact they only have school performance data for England, not the whole of the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would they consider this information for internationals? I attended a (state) school which (afaik) never sent anyone to Oxbridge (my referee was our headmaster and he had never encountered it before, also, for my year I was definitely the only one to apply to any UK university)
    Ah okay, didn't know that it was only England.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by scblx)
    Would they consider this information for internationals? I attended a (state) school which (afaik) never sent anyone to Oxbridge (my referee was our headmaster and he had never encountered it before, also, for my year I was definitely the only one to apply to any UK university)
    Ah okay, didn't know that it was only England.
    They probably do but I doubt it would make a huge difference in your favour.

Cambridge: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ontextual-data

ReputationRep:
    I can't for certain but that'd be highly unlikely.

It's totally normally for non-UK schools to not send anyone to Oxbridge. They're not in the UK after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    I can't for certain but that'd be highly unlikely.

It's totally normally for non-UK schools to not send anyone to Oxbridge. They're not in the UK after all.
    Hmm, I am not to sure about that. I am a reapplicant and was at the interviews last year, most other internationals were from schools which do send people to Oxbridge regularly.. Quite a few of them from international schools or highly ranked schools.
    But of course it's probably more common for a school outside the UK not to send people to Oxbridge..
    I just thought it might be worth asking because my school and especially my year performed significantly below average in our A Level equivalent here.. And I would already be thankful if they consider that I didn't have support with my personal statement and don't blame me for a potentially weird reference (as my referee has never written one before) - it's not really a "never sent anyone to Oxbridge"-thing, judging after their reaction it's more a "never sent anyone to any UK uni"-thing
    I am aware that this will in no way get me an offer or a real advantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Hmm, I am not to sure about that. I am a reapplicant and was at the interviews last year, most other internationals were from schools which do send people to Oxbridge regularly.. Quite a few of them from international schools or highly ranked schools.
    But of course it's probably more common for a school outside the UK not to send people to Oxbridge..
    I just thought it might be worth asking because my school and especially my year performed significantly below average in our A Level equivalent here.. And I would already be thankful if they consider that I didn't have support with my personal statement and don't blame me for a potentially weird reference (as my referee has never written one before) - it's not really a "never sent anyone to Oxbridge"-thing, judging after their reaction it's more a "never sent anyone to any UK uni"-thing
    For schools overseas, they have data if your school has sent their school to Cambridge in the past (not sure how many years, though, but perhaps at least 5 yrs or so), but that's all they have. All the things you mentioned that you/your referee think may make difference to your application can be mentioned in the reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Of course there are schools that send students to Oxbridge regularly, but clearly it is a different situation. A school that's not sending any in the UK is a poorly performing school. Outside you can't make that judgement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.