Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Living with someone who doesn't understand me and makes me stressed. watch

I have severe anxiety and a history of depression. I worry 24/7 about things that haven't happened/have happened/may never happen. I'm almost always stressed. I've been reasonably well for almost 2 years but I feel as though I'm walking a tightrope and if something pushed me I'd hit rock bottom quickly.

I sometimes appear selfish with my time/effort because I want to protect my own mental health above other people's desire to spend time with me/talk to me/meet them etc. I cope by walking in the park alone, reading by myself, listening to music etc. Basically having absolute peace and quiet, solitude and zero conflict.

Recently I moved into a house with someone.
    They stress me out. I feel like I have no right to say anything because they are doing me a huge favor - I pay no rent and they buy my food.

- But they invade my private space (i.e. my bedroom) not in a weird way - they just walk in and talk to me/look out the window/look at my books etc without asking. I'm in my 20's, not a child. It angers me massively, I can feel my blood boil and I want to scream at them. I'm not a child, get out of my space, respect my boundaries.

- They don't listen to me - often times I say something and they look glazed over and change the topic. It makes me feel insignificant.

- They condescend me. I'll ask where something is e.g. a bowl "It's there can't you see?!!" they'll say pointing as if I'm stupid. I didn't see, I don't know this house, I was just asking. No need to treat me as if I'm stupid.

- They don't drive. I do and I have a car. They have planned holidays that I can drive them to and they offer other people lifts in my car without asking me.

I feel ignored, condescended, walked over. But they pay the bills and I have 3 years left of my 4 year degree.

I hate it. How do I cope?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Can you move out? You need to at least put a lock on your door.

ReputationRep:
    well move out or start paying towards the rent? I think you're being overly sensitive with the condescending and not being listened to. The boundaries stuff is fair and it's worth asking them if you can put some boundaries in place e.g. ask permission to come in room, don't offer lifts etc but if they're paying the rent it's possible they won't agree.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is very simple, confront them with this. If they mention that they're paying the rent, say that you don't wanna be treated like a turd just because of that and that you'd rather live with someone else then like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have severe anxiety and a history of depression. I worry 24/7 about things that haven't happened/have happened/may never happen. I'm almost always stressed. I've been reasonably well for almost 2 years but I feel as though I'm walking a tightrope and if something pushed me I'd hit rock bottom quickly.

I sometimes appear selfish with my time/effort because I want to protect my own mental health above other people's desire to spend time with me/talk to me/meet them etc. I cope by walking in the park alone, reading by myself, listening to music etc. Basically having absolute peace and quiet, solitude and zero conflict.

Recently I moved into a house with someone.
    They stress me out. I feel like I have no right to say anything because they are doing me a huge favor - I pay no rent and they buy my food.

- But they invade my private space (i.e. my bedroom) not in a weird way - they just walk in and talk to me/look out the window/look at my books etc without asking. I'm in my 20's, not a child. It angers me massively, I can feel my blood boil and I want to scream at them. I'm not a child, get out of my space, respect my boundaries.

- They don't listen to me - often times I say something and they look glazed over and change the topic. It makes me feel insignificant.

- They condescend me. I'll ask where something is e.g. a bowl "It's there can't you see?!!" they'll say pointing as if I'm stupid. I didn't see, I don't know this house, I was just asking. No need to treat me as if I'm stupid.

- They don't drive. I do and I have a car. They have planned holidays that I can drive them to and they offer other people lifts in my car without asking me.

I feel ignored, condescended, walked over. But they pay the bills and I have 3 years left of my 4 year degree.

I hate it. How do I cope?
    Well you either need to accept it, or get a job and move out. You cant expect them to change, its their house.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.