Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Centrism and Social Justice: What do you think? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Reading an 'Opinimum' poll from September 11th, I was quite surprised to see the following data:

On the political spectrum, Britons identify as:

Left-Wing: 10%
    Centre-Left: 15%
    Centre: 45%
    Centre-Right: 17%
    Right-Wing: 13%

There is quite a significant support for centrism, which most would assume to be affiliated with the Lib Dems, however they aren't exactly treading much water right now, and I feel with the boundary changes in 2018, they'll lose some seats - and I don't see them as "true centrism".

I'd love to know your thoughts on centrism, and the idea of social justice. Do you think there needs to be a new party in this country putting the people's interests first, and doing what is right, rather than what is popular?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, high support for "centrism" is also known as "I want to think I'm in the centre," it doesn't actually mean they;re in the centre.

AS for boundary changes, if the last election were done on the proposed boundaries the Lib Dems would have 4 seats.

Something worth considering:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wouldn't take any poll showing a high support for centrism as actually being an indicator for centrism support. It seems most people just say they're 'in the middle' because they haven't fully thought out their political view (little from column A, little from column B, kind of thing). What do you mean by social justice exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Blair was centre, he was one of the most popular prime ministers we've ever had

ReputationRep:
    All positions in politics are relative. Left, right and centre aren't fixed in time or geography.

Bernie Sanders is halfway to being a communist in the States, but here he would be right of Theresa May. Most Conservative politicians, outside of Mrs Thatcher would be assumed to have very left wing policy in the States.

Time wise, what was a left or right policy in the past is seen as centre ground today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryEd9899)
    There is quite a significant support for centrism, which most would assume to be affiliated with the Lib Dems, however they aren't exactly treading much water right now
    I think when most non-politicos say centrist, what they generally mean is moderate, not particularly politically inclined and opposed to extreme right or left. They're generally happy to take a bit of policy from both sides, they're not wedded to any one party and they tend to vote strongly against the government the older it is (they will usually support a new government, but by the time a government has won three or four elections, it's coming to the end of its natural life and ordinary "centre" voters will vote against it for a fresh change)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    I think when most non-politicos say centrist, what they generally mean is moderate, not particularly politically inclined and opposed to extreme right or left. They're generally happy to take a bit of policy from both sides, they're not wedded to any one party and they tend to vote strongly against the government the older it is (they will usually support a new government, but by the time a government has won three or four elections, it's coming to the end of its natural life and ordinary "centre" voters will vote against it for a fresh change)
    And if it's been a good government the new government voted in will be, at worst, in the position the outgoing government was initially elected in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    No, high support for "centrism" is also known as "I want to think I'm in the centre," it doesn't actually mean they;re in the centre.

AS for boundary changes, if the last election were done on the proposed boundaries the Lib Dems would have 4 seats.

Something worth considering:
    I agree with you.
    From my personal experience, people who think they are right in the centre, quite often tend to actually be centre right. Eg want lower taxes, generally favour free markets over public ownership bar a few industries, have a slightly negative view of welfare etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.