Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    So I've started my personal statement which is proving to be pretty difficult since I have to make sure it's relevant to both radiography and midwifery. I find the only thing that links the both of them is the caring and helpful aspect of them.
    My granny (who I had been caring for for months beforehand) died the day before my first AS exam. I ended up very disappointed on results day (BCCD) but know that it was due to my situation at the time.
    So I was thinking of mentioning that on my personal statement,that that's why I didn't do as good as expected and then leading on to talk about the things I learnt from being a carer. I don't want to sound like I'm asking for sympathy because I'm not,but I would like to mention why my grades aren't good and then go on to talk about my experience as a carer.
    What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mshannon1017)
    Hi everyone
    So I've started my personal statement which is proving to be pretty difficult since I have to make sure it's relevant to both radiography and midwifery. I find the only thing that links the both of them is the caring and helpful aspect of them.
    My granny (who I had been caring for for months beforehand) died the day before my first AS exam. I ended up very disappointed on results day (BCCD) but know that it was due to my situation at the time.
    So I was thinking of mentioning that on my personal statement,that that's why I didn't do as good as expected and then leading on to talk about the things I learnt from being a carer. I don't want to sound like I'm asking for sympathy because I'm not,but I would like to mention why my grades aren't good and then go on to talk about my experience as a carer.
    What do you guys think?
    Don't bother. A personal statement is supposed to show them why you're solely interested and passionate for your future degree.
    It's not a soppy letter to address why you didn't get the grades you wanted.

Plus, if your school knows about your family bereavement, they would have already informed the universities.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Hi everyone
    What do you guys think?
    No point. It's irrelevant and misleading from the purpose purpose of a personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    What do you guys think?
    Hey I think, from what I've heard, it's down to teachers to talk about extenuating circumstances like these in the academic references that they write - it's not down to the student to write about them in the personal statement. But I definitely think that, with the extenuating circumstances, unis should be understanding. Also considering what you've been through, BCCD is still good and you should still be proud of yourself :console:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    You need to decide which of the two courses to apply for, cos although they are both in healthcare, your PS should be specific to that area of healthcare

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't write it in the personal statement because it's not needed, but i think there is a extenuating circumstances section in the teacher section of the UCAS application so I'd say talk to your teachers or call up UCAS and ask for advice from them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.