The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

i dislike middle class people

Scroll to see replies

Interesting views here.

Would people here consider a welder making £40k working class or middle class?

How about a Cambridge grad making £20k as a teacher?

If you would consider the former as working class and the latter as middle class, who do you think can afford a better standard of living?

I think people are confounding working class people and simply poor people.
Reply 81
Original post by looloo2134
Reason Why
1) their amoral e.g smoking weed at university
2)They believe their children are more intelligent than working class children
3)They buy houses by the best performing schools so their children will get a place
4)They look down on people who live in social housing
5)they call working class white people racist & xenophobic. When the white work class work in low skilled jobs with Eastern Europeans. Also are more likely to have mixed race children.

Having this, 'them and us mentality' is the problem not the middle class. I think you know that your claims of what the middle class think in 5 easy steps, is pretty moronic seeming as the middle class makes up the majority of the population. So obviously not all middle class people have these ideas. Just like how you dont like being labelled as having the traits of the things you put in your list. So what youve done is been incredibly hypocritical.
Original post by BIGJohnson777
This^

I fully understand that social housing can be of use to people whose lives have been turned upside down by circumstances arising from no fault of their own; or if a person has been unlucky enough to grow up in such housing. However, the stereotype that the council house people tend to be drug addicts and other types of the scum of the earth with neither will nor ability to improve their living standards, still stands and has proven to be accurate to some extent (not totally, though).

1) The stereotype is wrong
2) The first time I meet a drug deal was at university and he was dealing too my middle-class housemate
3) not one of my friends was unemployed or a drug addict
4) one young lady a child career don't do her A levels because she didn't have the money to get to her local six form college. She ended up becoming a hairdresser. She still caring for sick mother who not a drug addict or drinks.
5) i never meet anyone who had a one nightstand to college at 24 years old
6) one family had a joint income of £100000 a year
Reason Why
3)They buy houses by the best performing schools so their children will get a place
5)they call working class white people racist & xenophobic. When the white work class work in low skilled jobs with Eastern Europeans. Also are more likely to have mixed race children.

What's wrong with 3? Also, as somebody who is middle class, I don't believe or act like 1,2, 4 (if they have good reasons), or 5.
i dislike you
You can't generalise people like that, it's unfair.
1) The stereotype is wrong
2) The first time I meet a drug deal was at university and he was dealing too my middle-class housemate
3) not one of my friends was unemployed or a drug addict
4) one young lady a child career don't do her A levels because she didn't have the money to get to her local six form college. She ended up becoming a hairdresser. She still caring for sick mother who not a drug addict or drinks.
5) i never meet anyone who had a one nightstand to college at 24 years old
6) one family had a joint income of £100000 a year

I still am not sure as to whether you are trolling or whether your ability to structure a sound sentence and make the use of basic grammar is genuinely lacking so badly.
Original post by malebo55
1. more working class than middle-class people smoke weed
2. intelligence is to some extent hereditary
3. fair game
4. justified
5. most of those people are racist so also justified

1) weed is smoke by all social classes equally if you read the Metropolitan Police website
2) Intelligence come through a good education it is not hereditary through i had an IQ test 128
4) 'justified' nothing to be said to that but your bigot who will still be living with their parents when your 50
5)Your talking about people from my background like we are human subspecies which is nothing more than bigotry. Also there are more working class mixed races people than any other social look at the Statics.

I think your a troll who just playing around
Reply 88
Reason Why

Where is the question here? What is this in response too? What is the point of this? Why do you hate middle class people? What class are you in that case? Who gives a **** about your opinion anyways?

All of these questions can be answered simply with the phrase "Don't feed the trolls"
Middle class people lack common sense and are not streetwise. The Home Counties accent really grinds my gears.
Reason Why

1) Ok, you have a point.
2) What? I don't believe people are more intelligent than others based on class and anyone who does is a moron.
3) We didn't buy our house, because you can't here unless you're uber-rich, and we came here for the rural location, not the school.
4) Nope. I don't give a **** if someone lives in social housing, says pretty much nothing about them as a person tbh.
5) Anyone who thinks that all people in one class are racist or xenophobic is about as stupid as a racist or xenophobe. I don't think this and neither does anyone I know.

Methinks you need to talk to a wider range of middle-class people, OP.
reason why

nice spelling!
Original post by Anon 123
pretty moronic seeming as the middle class makes up the majority of the population.

Wrong! Working class people are the majority. They don't eat CousCous though.
Reply 93
The line between middle class and working class is drawn up by hard work and opportunities, nothing more.

Also, I have no issue with social housing. I tend to judge the state of the house rather than if it was given by the state.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BIGJohnson777
I still am not sure as to whether you are trolling or whether your ability to structure a sound sentence and make the use of basic grammar is genuinely lacking so badly.[/QUO

i badly dyslexia and went to one of the worst 20 High School in Britain.By the why your sentence structure not very good ever what your excuse
Only the middle class have "dinner parties" where they can snipe at each other about who's getting paid more or what wine should go with the main course.
Reply 96
Having read this thread I am relieved that I am upper class:u:
Don't judge anything unless you have representative data and know exaclty how every element of the judged thing works.

Both the first post and some responses here deeply biased and so much oversimplified that it causes pain in teeth.

Science doesn't fully understand human brain, and some of you make attempts to desribe effects of social differences on human, with two or three short senteces. It won't do!

If you see a man who has his legs ripped off, you probably won't say that he's lazy when he refuses to run.
But because you don't know what is depression untill you suffer from this disorder, lots of people are likely to confuse laziness with depression. I don't know what is the first (probably a lack of good pattern among other reasons), the second is a brain failure.

Saying that the working class only needs to work hard to advance, is the same as saying that a person with brain disorder only needs to act.
No offence to anyone! (I went through the disorder myself) I'm just pointing that the problem is more complicated.

Not to mention other problems, I could not write a few words for three days when I had to, because they didn't have any sense to me, and I had problems reminding some words at all. Not only what sense would the words possibly make, but also what was their sound or spelling.
I would never imagine, what difference can be done with 10mgs of escitalopramum, calcium and a few coversations with someone who can help you re-figure out a few things, and remind you how to think. Not what to think, just to remind your brain how to operate while sorting out things that appear to be hopeless while they aren't.

The working class has more difficulties to overcome, and their choices are more limited if they wish to advance or even survive. Sometimes it's hard to imagine what these difficulties maybe. Those are not only limited resources, harsh background etc. did you take into account a bad died or ugly neigbourhood? One major difficulty may be challenging and motivating, while 10 tiny every day make you weaker and weaker untill you may get knocked out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by metrize
I am not sure why but a lot working class children from white families don't seem to try in school whereas in pretty much every other culture working class children are taught to be studious. Just my anecdotes from what i've seen

is this why Pakistanis are poor, or there are black working class people, or Indian working class people?
Original post by Cisco Kid
Only the middle class have "dinner parties" where they can snipe at each other about who's getting paid more or what wine should go with the main course.

No. This is a 'new money' thing to do. If you go to a dinner party with people from the establised middle class you won't hear salery figures mentioned as it's considered gauche. Your point about wine is a generalisation but isn't necessarily incorrect.

Latest

Trending

Trending