Turn on thread page Beta

Happy Birthday New Labour :)! watch

ReputationRep:
    Tony Blair celebrates 10 years since becoming leader . What are people's thoughts on how he's done as Labour leader. Even though he's probably not your typical labour type (middle class background etc...), i'm very pleased that the reforms that he made to make us electable ended so many horrible years under the Tories .

ReputationRep:
    Personaly all have witnesses is more spin, more strikes, and higher taxes. My parents would be better of under tory leadership and they are not rich, but having -£500 is too rich for this government.

They promise us everything and fail to deliver. Their transport policies stink and I don't agree with the top up fees or the iraq war. In fact this week I hate labour more than I ever have done. The council tax rises means my parents will be forced to sell up as they can't afford somthing stupid like £2000 a year they will probably have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    The last 7 years of labour rule may as well be merged with the time of John Majors conservatives as its simply a continuation of the mediocrity achieved under him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Tony Blair celebrates 10 years since becoming leader . What are people's thoughts on how he's done as Labour leader. Even though he's probably not your typical labour type (middle class background etc...), i'm very pleased that the reforms that he made to make us electable ended so many horrible years under the Tories .
    I think he has done a pretty good job as leader in my oppinion better than thatcher or Major. I am deffinately going to vote labour in the next election because I think that they have done a good job.

ReputationRep:
    Although the PM has been unpopular (especially against his own party) on issues like top-up fees and Iraq, there has been a lot off good that's come out.

Economy is stronger and growing faster whilst most other world economies are struggling
    Lowest unemployment is a generation
    Record investment in public services
    Devolution
    Tax credits
    etc...

and best of all...

Tories ain't in power, and probably won't be for a generation

ReputationRep:
    I am voting the national loony party next year, as they are currently running the country anyway just under a different name, Labour. They promised Manchester, Leeds and Hampsire tram systems yesterday they scrapped it as Lodnon is more important. I know for a fact Manchester needs it, its currently just gridlocked but Labour don't care about that.

In fact people are so annoyed about it they are in serioius danger of loosing their Manchester seats which would have an impact on next years election results.

If there proposed council tax reforms go ahead that will be the last straw for me its as bas as Maggie's poll tax.

ReputationRep:
    Although the PM has been unpopular (especially against his own party) on issues like top-up fees and Iraq, there has been a lot off good that's come out.

Economy is stronger and growing faster whilst most other world economies are struggling
    Devolution
    Tax credits
    etc...

and best of all...

Is that why Labour lost 400 seats in the last local elections? Is that why the UK debt is very high at the moment and the government are having to cut back ten of thousands of public service jobs?

This government is far too London based, they don't give a sh*t about the rest of the country.

ReputationRep:
    and best of all...

One can hope. I wouldn't mind the Lib dems just not the tories.

ReputationRep:
    I respect the decision to go to war, i just think its a shame he felt the need to make up a ******** excuse for it.

The economy is a definite plus, as to employment id question the need to force every school leaver into higher education when the workforce does not require the mystical 50% of the population to have qualified under tertiary education - were even making active attempts to bring in immigrants to take the jobs where were short of staff ffs.

Devolution
    Record investment doesnt mean much when the bureaucracy is so incompetant. Devolution has become an utter farce, its an embaressment and total waste of money

and best of all...

I agree, though id be just as happy to see Labour out of power. Daft conservatives and daft liberals (or in labours case daft conservatives masquerading as liberals) are all equally useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    One can hope. I wouldn't mind the Lib dems just not the tories.
    I think the lib dems have far more honest members than either the tories or labour (thus they will never win). That doesnt make me think that they would be any more competent as the ruling party though.

ReputationRep:
    Just another couple of moans before I shut up:

1) The Millenium Dome, I think even the Loony party would have done a better job of wasting 650 million.

2) The Railways, fair enough they have put extra investment in but they have made an absolute mess of it so far, costing far too much money compared to similar projects in mainland Europe.

3) Public transport is getting worse as traffic is getting worse, what ever they promised in 1997 I am afraid its too little too late.

4) The 50% university target sucks.

What have labour done right? The only noticable difference I can tell is the NHS, I am not too convicned that education is imrpoving at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    If there proposed council tax reforms go ahead that will be the last straw for me its as bas as Maggie's poll tax.
    They are not their proposals - as many seem to already wrongly think. To quote from the horses mouth "The Balance of Funding Review paper to be published on Tuesday is a report to government, not by government," said Mr Raynsford. (He's the local government minister if you were not already aware).
    The government is considering reforming local government finance, following recent fiasco's over huge hikes in some areas, it issued a review - as governments do on many things - and they issued these proposals, they are of course just a starting point and Mr Raynsford has said that he recongnises in their current format the proposals could hurt low/middle income earners who have simply benefited from the rising value of their property - thus (having read your previous fears about this on another thread) your parents may well come under this category and whatever proposals the government itself eventually issues may be much more satisfactory.

Although this may sound somewhat patronising surely it is entirely unfair to judge the quality of the government on the basis on what non-governmental reviews come up with, surely you should judge the governments competence on the basis of its proposals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imagashead)
    They are not their proposals - as many seem to already wrongly think. To quote from the horses mouth "The Balance of Funding Review paper to be published on Tuesday is a report to government, not by government," said Mr Raynsford. (He's the local government minister if you were not already aware).
    The government is considering reforming local government finance, following recent fiasco's over huge hikes in some areas, it issued a review - as governments do on many things - and they issued these proposals, they are of course just a starting point and Mr Raynsford has said that he recongnises in their current format the proposals could hurt low/middle income earners who have simply benefited from the rising value of their property - thus (having read your previous fears about this on another thread) your parents may well come under this category and whatever proposals the government itself eventually issues may be much more satisfactory.

Although this may sound somewhat patronising surely it is entirely unfair to judge the quality of the government on the basis on what non-governmental reviews come up with, surely you should judge the governments competence on the basis of its proposals?
    What about promising stuff and failing to deliver like the promised Metrolink extension which is vital is now not going ahead which will directly harm business and quality of live in the Greater Manchester area? £200 million has already being spent and now all that money is wasted.

ReputationRep:
    Is that why Labour lost 400 seats in the last local elections? Is that why the UK debt is very high at the moment and the government are having to cut back ten of thousands of public service jobs?

This government is far too London based, they don't give a sh*t about the rest of the country.
    UK debt is not very high, in comparison to other Western nations the UK has one of the lowest rates of national debt in the Western world. Admittedly Gordon Brown has chosen to in New Labour lingo 'borrow to invest' in recent years and this has increased the debtpile somewhat, but it is certainly not 'very high', since it still remains one of the lowest in the Western world. Arguably one could say Brown was irresponsible if he continued his spending splurge indefinately, but this does not seem to be whats likely to happen since many of his spending increases stop in 06-08 in various areas.

ReputationRep:
    What about promising stuff and failing to deliver like the promised Metrolink extension which is vital is now not going ahead which will directly harm business and quality of live in the Greater Manchester area? £200 million has already being spent and now all that money is wasted.
    I sympathise with this - whilst knowing very very little about it - since a similar - albeit rather smaller scale - plan was scrapped in my city Bristol to built a single Supertram commutor line, with an anticipation that central government wouldn't fund it, with much money squandered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imagashead)
    I sympathise with this - whilst knowing very very little about it - since a similar - albeit rather smaller scale - plan was scrapped in my city Bristol to built a single Supertram commutor line, with an anticipation that central government wouldn't fund it, with much money squandered.
    I wouldn't mind so much if there wasn't any money availible but Manchester was asking for £520 million which they agreed, now Darling has suddenly said no when work has already started, houses has been knocked down etc.

The government backed a 10 billion pound scheme for a single railway line in London and have billions to pure into the 2012 olympic bid.

It sends out all the wrong messages, plus they are widening motorways just to allow more cars onto them (this what happened when the M25 was exteneded)

ReputationRep:

You're intelligent enough to know that is unlikely - even the Tories couldn't manage that when Labour were unelectable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think he has done a pretty good job as leader in my oppinion better than thatcher or Major. I am deffinately going to vote labour in the next election because I think that they have done a good job.
    Better than Thatcher??? Ah you're just saying that because you don't like the Iron Lady Yes the Conservatives should have never picked Major and gone for Portillo I think, then maybe Kenneth Clarke. They keep fussing over Europe which will cause them to die - look at Scotland.

No doubt the Liberal Democrats and Respect will also remind New Labour of the 10th Anniversary of the Iraq war too.

However I think Labour have become overoptimistic. Do they really think they are going to be in power for ever? This road scheme to be able to start in 2014? Who says they don't have another split which will cost them the GE?

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the recent election results, true that the Tories did OK in the council ones, but in the by-elections they were very poor indeed. I think they should watch their backs cos the Liberals are gonna be moving in.

Interestingly when people are asked which party they prefer to look after the economy, invest in the NHS, who'd make a better PM etc, Labour wins hands down, so domestically Labour are doing very well .

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the recent election results, true that the Tories did OK in the council ones, but in the by-elections they were very poor indeed. I think they should watch their backs cos the Liberals are gonna be moving in.

Interestingly when people are asked which party they prefer to look after the economy, invest in the NHS, who'd make a better PM etc, Labour wins hands down, so domestically Labour are doing very well .
    Most of the by-elections were is what were once Labour strong-holds, of course the Tories won't win there.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.