The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lord Huntroyde
Most of the by-elections were is what were once Labour strong-holds, of course the Tories won't win there.

True you wouldn't expect the Tories to win them, but at least make some sort of impression. They definately tried hard, with bus loads of MPs etc going into the areas. But they slipped to 3rd which really doesn't look all that good for next year.
NDGAARONDI
Yes the Conservatives should have never picked Major and gone for Portillo I think, then maybe Kenneth Clarke. They keep fussing over Europe which will cause them to die - look at Scotland.

Clarke, Portillo, Heseltine, Rifkind... there were plenty of very capable conservatives at the time, but theyve gone for the most average man possible on every chance they get.
an Siarach
Clarke, Portillo, Heseltine, Rifkind... there were plenty of very capable conservatives at the time, but theyve gone for the most average man possible on every chance they get.

True. I don't feel they appeal to youngsters as well as Labour or Lib Dems, this could create problems in the future. Since this young genereation will be tomorrow's politicians.

Ah Heseltine was mentioned in my politics that I read long ago.
NDGAARONDI
True. I don't feel they appeal to youngsters as well as Labour or Lib Dems, this could create problems in the future. Since this young genereation will be tomorrow's politicians.

Ah Heseltine was mentioned in my politics that I read long ago.

True, i cant really see Howard appealing to the youth quite so effictively as Blair or Kennedy. The conservatives have a definite image problem which they have to overcome before they win another election.
Reply 24
Lord Gnostic
At just the time that I will be entering politics...

Surely a man like yourself wont merely "enter" politics, buy will storm into it with all guns blazing...?

Latest

Trending

Trending