Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have just begun college and am feeling confused about what a levels to take and was wondering if anyone could give any advice. I have started with history, geography, french and either maths or english literature for AS - the college have allowed me to study both for a couple weeks and then drop the one I dislike. Does this seem like a good mix, or work overload? I am a capable student who got 6 A*s and 4As at gcse however I am already feeling the jump after just a week.
    I have always been into humanities, however I was thinking if I decided english over maths, that would probably be humanity overload, making it trickier when applying to university? I really like the idea of working as a diplomat in the foreign office.
    Finally when looking at entry requirements for universities, say it says AAB, needing an A in history, as long as you get the A in the history, does it matter what the other subjects are as long as you meet the entry requirements? Do universities take into account the other a levels and give a bit more lenience if the other a levels are 'harder' than say if they were 'soft subjects' ?

ReputationRep:
    What four subjects would you enjoy the most? I (like everyone else here) has only taken 3/4/5, i would recommend the ones i particularly enjoyed but that would be unlikely to align with your interests. As long as you take the subjects YOU enjoy, with at least one facilitating subject, you should be fine. I find i did best in the ones i enjoyed the most, with an exact correlation, don't worry about how hard people say a subject is.

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can do well in it, I would go for maths.
    Unless you want to do English literature, you already have an extended writing A level with history, and maths could go alongside geography if you decide you want to do a more science subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spicedrum)
    Hi I have just begun college and am feeling confused about what a levels to take and was wondering if anyone could give any advice. I have started with history, geography, french and either maths or english literature for AS - the college have allowed me to study both for a couple weeks and then drop the one I dislike. Does this seem like a good mix, or work overload? I am a capable student who got 6 A*s and 4As at gcse however I am already feeling the jump after just a week.
    I have always been into humanities, however I was thinking if I decided english over maths, that would probably be humanity overload, making it trickier when applying to university? I really like the idea of working as a diplomat in the foreign office.
    Finally when looking at entry requirements for universities, say it says AAB, needing an A in history, as long as you get the A in the history, does it matter what the other subjects are as long as you meet the entry requirements? Do universities take into account the other a levels and give a bit more lenience if the other a levels are 'harder' than say if they were 'soft subjects' ?
    I think you do have a good mix of subjects there. I would say you should see which of the two subjects you prefer and stick with that, there's no point in doing something that you hate and you're going to get bad grades in.

Its perfectly normal to feel challenged when you first start A levels, I know I did. It is a really big jump from GCSE but when you get used to the level of difficulty and what is expected of you, it gets easier. Make sure that you keep on top of all your work though, as this is when it can become and overload, especially as college teachers usually don't chase you as much to complete your homework.

The only thing that really matters when applying to uni is the required subjects and required grades. Although unis might look at the other subjects you are doing, and you should be able to link them to what you want to study at uni in your personal statement, I don't think you'd be at a disadvantage for doing 'too many' humanities subjects. But yes, as long as you get and A in history, it doesn't matter what your other subjects are as long as you get at least AAB. Some unis have courses which it is useful to have, but the only ones you really need to worry about are the required courses. I'm not sure about that last question, but I would say no, they treat every A level the same, no matter the difficulty, however this is something you could ask at uni open days, as some unis may be different to others in their views on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody feels the jump, don't worry about it, A levels are too hard, go for Maths because there is a lot of online support for it ie examsolutions, hegarty maths, mathswatch, physics and maths tutor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_d_e)
    Everybody feels the jump, don't worry about it, A levels are too hard, go for Maths because there is a lot of online support for it ie examsolutions, hegarty maths, mathswatch, physics and maths tutor
    What a levels did you do ? May I ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    What a levels did you do ? May I ask

I just finished AS, doing A2 this year, I did
    Biology (B)
    Chemistry (C)
    Maths (A)
    Spanish (B)

I didn't enjoy Maths tho, so I dropped it and are just doing the other 3 this year

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a very versatile subject so you might as well keep your options open unless you really want to do english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_d_e)
    I just finished AS, doing A2 this year, I did
    Biology (B)
    Chemistry (C)
    Maths (A)
    Spanish (B)

I didn't enjoy Maths tho, so I dropped it and are just doing the other 3 this year
    How hard did you find doing a language?

ReputationRep:
    You have a good mix of subjects and since you already have an essay heavy subject (history) I'd say go for maths.

Everyone experiences somewhat of a step up between the content at GCSE to A-level but once you settle down and find the way of studying that works for you you'll be fine 👍😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a moron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    Don't be a moron

?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spicedrum)
    How hard did you find doing a language?
    Honestly I loved it at GCSE then at the beginning of Year 12, I hated it, mostly because I was in a selective school and a lot of people were better than me, but my friends convinced me to stay.
    Then I moved back to my old school for sixth form and I think just that little break somehow pushed me forward.
    In my first mock I got a D and was 2 off a C
    Then the same again got a C was 4 off a B
    Then I got Bs for the rest of the year,
    I got 159 ums in the exams and I needed 160 for an A, tragic but I'll just work harder this year.

Immerse yourself in the language helps, I listen to spanish speaking artists and watch Saber Vivir (spanish version of Good Morning ish) and follow Spanish people on Twitter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.