Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Therapist told me that they cant help me if i dont know the reason for my break downs Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to see a therapist to try to get help for how i feel and she told me that she cant help me unless i knew why i was getting upset etc. but thats why i went there to try to find out through talking. I was in and out in under 5 minutes but it was supposed to last at least 30 minutes. She told me that what i go through is normal and everyone goes through it and she didnt ask much and kept saying that she cant help me if i cant tell her whats wrong? Is she right or did she just assume that since i looked fine and dressed that there was nothing wrong with me? I feel worse than before i went to see her and i now feel that there is no hope and that i cant get help 😔

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like a helpful experience. If you are getting nowhere, are you able to see another therapist?

You want to know why you are getting upset. Is that your treatment goal? What are you "going through that is normal"? For her to say that this is normal, she believes that the connection has been made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All in the mind)
    It doesn't sound like a helpful experience. If you are getting nowhere, are you able to see another therapist?

You want to know why you are getting upset. Is that your treatment goal? What are you "going through that is normal"? For her to say that this is normal, she believes that the connection has been made.
    Good response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimkarsd)
    therapists are a waste of space anyhow.
    Rubbish, they have been and can be a life changing experience for many people.

OP, that was awful, and completely not what a therapy session is meant to go like! I think it's awful she only had you for 5 minutes, and demanded to know your problem. The whole point of therapy sessions is to draw that out of you, as you become more comfortable, and find out for yourself. To expect you to provide that answer within 5 minutes is ridiculous.

They do say that it takes a few attempts to find a therapist suited to you, but you sounded like you were unfortunate enough to encounter a very poor one indeed. I wonder whether there's a way for you to complain, she can do more harm than good to some people in fragile states.

If I were you I'd complain, and find another. Please don't lose faith, that is not how they are meant to be.

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katevladinkov)
    I went to see a therapist to try to get help for how i feel and she told me that she cant help me unless i knew why i was getting upset etc. but thats why i went there to try to find out through talking. I was in and out in under 5 minutes but it was supposed to last at least 30 minutes. She told me that what i go through is normal and everyone goes through it and she didnt ask much and kept saying that she cant help me if i cant tell her whats wrong? Is she right or did she just assume that since i looked fine and dressed that there was nothing wrong with me? I feel worse than before i went to see her and i now feel that there is no hope and that i cant get help 😔
    Wow :/ well I would say there's always a chance she's acting that way to draw out your feelings but I think that kind of therapy is ****ing stupid and misguided they're there to talk to you that's how they're supposed to unpick and deal with problems with you. I'd say go to the next session if it's the same have stern words with her that none of her behaviour is helpful and request a new therapist! :hugs: don't worry people go into therapy a mess and completely broken often completely out of touch with their feelings and that's what therapy should help to resolve/get to the bottom of, so it's not your fault she's not doing her job properly!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry you feel this way, its a really difficult time dealing with mental health.

I had a breakdown at Uni in the third year, had a similar experience with a counsellor and didnt know where to go from there. Massive panick attacks, sweating so much i'd take a change of cloths everywhere, narky, didnt sleep, ate poorly etc.

I spent a long time wallowing in self pitty after that ( I couldnt see it at the time).

One of the things i've done since that has helped me no end is meditation, sounds mumbo jumbo but seriously if you want to gain some insight into yourself its worth it.

I dont think student life in general is very good for mental health, its unstrucured and you are constanly being assesed for performance.

One of the major things you can do (if you dont already) is go to the gym, its by far the best way to quickly produce your own happy chemicals. If you end up at the Doc asking for pills its one of the first things they'll suggest.

Thirdly get a job caring for someone else, even if its for an hour a week. Its another way of giving yourself perspective, people compare and contrast their situations and this is the most direct and effective way of doing it. Some peoples lives are so awful and giving them support can do as much for you as for them, its fulfilling to be needed and to know you make a difference.

I do hope you feel better, after pills, counsellors and therepys that went no-where these are things that really made a difference to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry you had this experience. Perhaps try another mental health professional, such as a clinical psychologist? Yes, if you're paying privately it's going to be more expensive but I doubt they'd do the same.

It's such a shame some mental health professionals are like this :no:

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, this is clearly a problem with her and not you, I'd seriously recommend seeking out or asking for a new therapist/professional tbh, it's her job to help you through dealing with your problems and that includes getting to the bottom of what exactly is the problem you're dealing with and might be causing it, not judge you instantly as being fine, that's unprofessional to say the least.

If I say to my therapist I'm not entirely sure what exactly the problem is, he'll say 'okay' and help me to work through it to try and pinpoint what exactly the problem is, not just send me away and all therapists should be the same. Hope you get this resolved
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I agree with the others that have posted. Ideally, you want someone to help you figure out where your problems lie rather than to tell you to go away and do it yourself before coming back. I'd say try another session, but 5 minutes and then brushing off your problems is quite poor. That's not at all how it's supposed to be. Are there any others in your area you'd consider seeing? They aren't all as unhelpful as that!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.