wbnurse
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've just been set my second one and I'm pulling my hair out already. The learning outcomes are like another language. I'm going to just do spider diagrams or something I don't even know where to start!! 😢
Trapped
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I always refer to the lecture powerpoint, my own personal notes from the lecture, and the module guide/learning outcomes. I then make a rough plan. Based on this plan, i research and use a combination of journals, books, policies and professional guidelines to support my points.

We all work/learn differently, but the above works best for me. *
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Contact your lecturer or personal tutor if you have any difficulty.
Break the title down into parts. What is the main body of the title? What is giving you clues of what to research?

Use spider diagrams or mind maps.
Put key words up.
Write what you plan to put on the introduction, main body and the conclusion.
Look at the marking criteria, look at the learning outcomes in the module handbook.
Look at what topics you have covered as the essay will relate to this.
Do some extra reading. Many degrees are all about that extra reading. That self directed learning.
I personally make a plan of what topics need included and what the marking criteria are and remember to pee to a certain extent (point evidence explain).

But always contact someone if you're struggling. That's what they're there for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arianax
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I usually print out lecture slides and handouts.. Whatever is available. I make a mind map and write down all my thoughts. Then I decide how I'm going to structure this essay, am I going to use quotes? If yes, what books do I need? I use headings like introduction, main and conclusion etc. Then I number my points and use quotes to back it up, hopefully so it'll flow!

I also use colour coding and highlighters to help me make notes as I find that easier. This might work you?
PaediatricStN
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wbnurse)
I've just been set my second one and I'm pulling my hair out already. The learning outcomes are like another language. I'm going to just do spider diagrams or something I don't even know where to start!! 😢
I would write a very rough plan with headings and a few bullet points. I'd also make a quick list of the key policies I knew I'd need to include. E.g. NMC Code, NHS Constitution etc.Then I'd heavily research the topic I wanted to write on, and on a separate document/piece of paper, make bullet points of direct quotes or points I may want to include, and allow any findings from my research to lead the way I wrote and structured my essay. Then I'd adjust my original plan, and write my essay. Turning the bullet points I'd written earlier into full sentences and adding in my own input to that. A little more research was sometimes needed along the way but not much. If I'd researched well enough, I could quite easily write a first draft within a day.

I never used spider diagrams or anything like that. Just two sheets of paper and some intense research. That's not to say graphically presenting things in diagrams is wrong, it just didn't work for me - I've always been more of a list maker. Try a variety of ways of planning and find a method that works for you
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh, it all depends on the assignment brief and how broad or narrow it is. What's your assignment on op?
wbnurse
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for all replies! Not been on here much been too busy. All great helps. I still haven't found my learning style at all. At the minute I can't even break down my learning outcomes because I simple don't understand what it's asking me to do. Moonkat it's basically ethics and morals and how it's applied to healthcare and what contemporary influences have etc. I know they word it a lot more difficult than is needed and I know if they explained it in laymans terms I'd probably get it but at the minute I'm struggling. Doesn't help that I also have another and 4 exams all in 8 weeks either but hey ho that's the fun of nursing!
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well look at your title and pick out the key words and what you understand them to be etc and then the doing words as such...like critically analyse, or examine...etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads