Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that the maths in psychology is where I will struggle so I want to prevent it being a major problem later on for me. I'm doing AQA psychology and I looked at the specification on page 31 which states what I have to know and the maths skills that are required. Does anybody know where I can get this information in the specification with examples of questions to answer, how to carry out calculations and everything else? Is there a textbook/ revision guide that has this, a website or any other resources relating to this?

(http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...-2015-V1-0.PDF)

ReputationRep:
    The maths you'll need to know is statistics based.

Basic things like how to find the mean, median, mode and range. How to work out percentages and change them to fractions/decimals, reading data from graphs etc and plotting data in the correct graph. You've just sat your GCSEs - this shouldn't be difficult to remember!

Any maths content will be retaught during the course. You're not expected to know them already, but if you do, you're at an advantage.

Year 2, you'll learn more about statistical testing which include formulae and specific tests based on types of data you use and the situations you're in.

There's a CPG book dedicated to maths skills, but the Green Haired Girl/Pink Haired Girl textbooks are more than sufficient. You could even go on maths GCSE websites (MathedUp) and look over some videos that explain how you do them.

The maths questions are incorporated into scenarios and examples. Eg, you'll be introduced to an experiment that Jack and Jill are doing, this is their data, what is the mean? What percentage shows this? etc.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ bang on. (I'm doing Aqa psychology). It's easy stuff. It plays a tiny role in the exam and frankly as long as you passed GCSE maths you will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    The maths you'll need to know is statistics based.

Basic things like how to find the mean, median, mode and range. How to work out percentages and change them to fractions/decimals, reading data from graphs etc and plotting data in the correct graph. You've just sat your GCSEs - this shouldn't be difficult to remember!

Any maths content will be retaught during the course. You're not expected to know them already, but if you do, you're at an advantage.

Year 2, you'll learn more about statistical testing which include formulae and specific tests based on types of data you use and the situations you're in.

There's a CPG book dedicated to maths skills, but the Green Haired Girl/Pink Haired Girl textbooks are more than sufficient. You could even go on maths GCSE websites (MathedUp) and look over some videos that explain how you do them.

The maths questions are incorporated into scenarios and examples. Eg, you'll be introduced to an experiment that Jack and Jill are doing, this is their data, what is the mean? What percentage shows this? etc.
    (Original post by tg1998)
    ^^ bang on. (I'm doing Aqa psychology). It's easy stuff. It plays a tiny role in the exam and frankly as long as you passed GCSE maths you will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the replies.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.