Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do we like the idea of a relationship? Watch

Time and time again I see threads on here asking what it's like to be in love or to be in a relationship, I think that as well sometimes. Sometimes I sit and complain that I'm single, yet so many times I've had opportunities with guys to turn it into something more and I just come up with a lame excuse for myself and practically run away from them. It's like I like the idea of a relationship yet when it comes down to it and a guy I could realistically be dating comes along, I freak out and distance myself from them.
    Why is that

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it is because we like someone caring about us, understanding us better than anyone else and being there regardless of what troubles they may have of their own at the time. It is human nature to want these things.*

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you don't like them enough or you're afraid of something. I have rejected quite a few guys in my life and when I look back I can't even justify the reasons why I did this in some cases.

I had to take a leap of faith and give the decent guys a chance. Even if you don't end up in a relationship with someone you will probably have alot of fun throughout the dating process. You also might learn a few things about yourself too.

To answer your question, I felt very lonely before my current relationship. It wasn't the kind of lonely that your friends or family could help you to overcome. I had spent many years alone, I knew I was OK by myself but still wanted that someone. So I did wait it out until I met someone that was worth my time and I could see myself settling down with.

ReputationRep:
    Love completes me

criiingee
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Maybe you're scared of commitment, rather than the relationship itself.

(Original post by phunky_fresh)
    Maybe you don't like them enough or you're afraid of something. I have rejected quite a few guys in my life and when I look back I can't even justify the reasons why I did this in some cases.

I had to take a leap of faith and give the decent guys a chance. Even if you don't end up in a relationship with someone you will probably have alot of fun throughout the dating process. You also might learn a few things about yourself too.

To answer your question, I felt very lonely before my current relationship. It wasn't the kind of lonely that your friends or family could help you to overcome. I had spent many years alone, I knew I was OK by myself but still wanted that someone. So I did wait it out until I met someone that was worth my time and I could see myself settling down with.
    My mind just jumps ahead and thinks what if we break up, how will I get over it? Or I start thinking how do I be a girlfriend idk how to be a girlfriend or the idea of just being on a one to one date with a guy completely freaks me out and makes me nauseous

I'm destined to be forever alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mind just jumps ahead and thinks what if we break up, how will I get over it? Or I start thinking how do I be a girlfriend idk how to be a girlfriend or the idea of just being on a one to one date with a guy completely freaks me out and makes me nauseous

I'm destined to be forever alone
    If you break up, you break up. **** happens, you get over it.

Being with someone is basically just having a friend that you have sex and go out relatively frequently with. Putting too much pressure on thinking about things that are fairly straight-forward is a sure-fire way to cause a freak out, so just roll with it y'know?

Anxiety and nerves are totally normal when chasing someone, but don't let it put you off. Sure you might get shot down a few times, but it happens. Cruise towards the good whilst over-looking the bad. Optimism and ****.

I'm exactly like the OP and i don't know why. It's like that pit feeling you get when you are scared and your heart just feels like it's going to jump of of my chest, I even start shaking it's like i have some kind of guilty conscious when I've done nothing wrong. I have never been with a guy in my life. I just shut all the guys off that say they like me and have just have learnt to close them off but when i think back on things i wish i wasn't so mean to them but it just happens involuntarily and i don't want to be like this forever.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.