Oxbridge or ...Cambridge?

Announcements

I noticed that majority of Oxbridge students on here or aspiring Oxbridge applicants are applying to/a student at Cambridge. It's like Oxford is always picked second for a team.

I want to know why did/are you picked Cambridge over Oxford?

I'm choosing Cambridge because I prefer their course structure for the subject I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Canbridge because I have been told that Oxford place a lot more emphasis on strong GCSEs, while I have been informed that Cambridge like an upwards trajectory eg. Decent GCSEs to spectacular AS (AAAA)

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Oxford because I preferred the city and because it offered my desired course.

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on the course. I want to do biochemistry at Oxford but they don't offer it at Cambridge so that's my reason :-)

ReputationRep:
    Because C goes before the O.

ReputationRep:
    Well Cambridge was better in my opinion because they seemed to care more about state school students and they visited our school and stuff, the admissions tutor or something from Peterhouse came in while some random student from Oxford so yeah seems like Oxford didnt really care

ReputationRep:
    Because GCSEs, and uh, also because Cambridge is clearly superior to Oxford in Computer Science. Pretty much everyone is superior to Oxford for Computer Science. By everyone I mean Cambridge and Imperial. Basically everyone though.

ReputationRep:
    Because Cambridge doesn't look at UMS

oh wait wrong thread :3

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Brookes though

ReputationRep:
    Because Maths at Cambridge easily outstrips Maths at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge because Newton!

(Original post by Zacken)
    Because Maths at Cambridge easily outstrips Maths at Oxford.
    We want evidence.

ReputationRep:
    coz i heard oxford is shet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    coz i heard oxford is shet
    :angry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    We want evidence.
    http://results.ref.ac.uk/Results/ByUoa/10

Evidence (...to the contrary)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    We want evidence.
    Do the maths.

ReputationRep:
    Because Oxford cares a lot about GCSEs and my GCSEs were not up to scratch. I would rather apply to Oxford though if I was in a position to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Do the maths.
    Lol, over an order of magnitude more at Cambridge than Oxford. That's pretty impressive.

ReputationRep:
    better for my course and a nicer place to live.

ReputationRep:
    This might be relevant http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post66700726

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.