Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible that a therapist would think someone is okay because of the way they look (attractivness, clothing,hygiene) and turn them down because they think they dont need help even though they have told them they need help?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Katevladinkov)
    Is it possible that a therapist would think someone is okay because of the way they look (attractivness, clothing,hygiene) and turn them down because they think they dont need help even though they have told them they need help?
    No, a good therapist wouldn't do that and I don't think that's very likely at all!

Sadly, this does happen, no matter how professional the therapist is.
    (Speaking from personal experience)

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt it. It's what goes on in your head that they want to look at.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It seems very unlikely a therapist would do this and it would be highly unethical and unprofessional but from my own experience with bad therapists, you can sometimes expect the unexpected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think it's a possibility but what you should do to ensure that doesn't happen is make one of the first things you say to them that you know maybe you might look okay but you're really not coping 'inside'. And actually that's one of your worries that your problems won't be recognised. That'll make them think twice before they think they can just brush you off.

ReputationRep:
    Professionals will take into account how you present appearance wise - for example. Are you in clean clothes, have you washed etc. It can be useful to determine someone's level of self care and how well they are coping with this.

However, it shouldn't be the only factor in an assessment for therapy. It may be that they feel that you don't need support in other areas too, or that therapy isn't appropriate for you at the moment (that can happen even if someone is quite obviously unwell).

If you can, maybe have a conversation with them about how they reached their decision and what help they would recommend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    She told me she couldnt help me if i don't know why I'm getting 'upset' but i was in and out in 5 minutes. She kept looking at me like i was being stupid and told me to give it four months to see what happens and cancelled my therapy sessions as she thought i was just going through normal things and need to help myself and that they cant help me. Even though it can get really really bad to the point where i completely break down. She just didnt seem to care. I waited a month for the appointment to see if i could get help and she said they can't help me. I've been dealing with my 'issues' for over three years. She could see i was getting upset but she just looked at me like i was being stupid. She gave me two books on depression and stress and i told her ive read them but she gave them to me, told ne she was cancelling the other appointments since they cant help me and said 'give it 4 months to see what happens.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.