Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I went to the hair dressers today and dyed my hair dark red. HUGE MISTAKE. I really hate it cos it looks so fake

I don't want to go back to the hair dressers ever so I'm wondering if I can go out tomorrow and buy a dark brown box dye and just dye over this? Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It will work but the red will shine through in the sun and when the brown fades it'll look a nasty colour. You'll have to stick with it and after you've been out go to the hairdressers to avoid any disasters, trust me I've had a lot of experience with hair dye haha especially red!

ReputationRep:
    I can't go back to the Hair dressers cos I'm so skint !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    loooool

ReputationRep:
    your going to have to live with it for a long time, wait for your natural hair colour to come to a length then cut the red hair, don't dye it brown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAmaryllis)
    I can't go back to the Hair dressers cos I'm so skint !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Visit them and ask for advice, seriously red is a b-ch to get out. You could always use bleach to get it to a lighter colour and dye over it but that depends on if you can deal with the fact that your hair will be a bit damaged and you'll have to wait a day or two to rest it before applying more dye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomiNateTricks)
    Visit them and ask for advice, seriously red is a b-ch to get out. You could always use bleach to get it to a lighter colour and dye over it but that depends on if you can deal with the fact that your hair will be a bit damaged and you'll have to wait a day or two to rest it before applying more dye.
    I really don't want to have to dye my hair more than I need too! It was so healthy before I did this ☹️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really don't want to have to dye my hair more than I need too! It was so healthy before I did this ☹️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The best place to ask is at a salon or use a colour stripper like Colour B4. Bare in mind that the red will not completely lift but it will be less harsh and easier to cover.

ReputationRep:
    The best place to ask is at a salon or use a colour stripper like Colour B4. Bare in mind that the red will not completely lift but it will be less harsh and easier to cover.
    Thanks! I'm considering using colour b4 but I'm worried it might make my hair patchy? Also how long would you recommend before using colour B4 and/or a dark brown dye? I have a super important event in a few days

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm considering using colour b4 but I'm worried it might make my hair patchy? Also how long would you recommend before using colour B4 and/or a dark brown dye? I have a super important event in a few days

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Colour B4 is nowhere near as harsh as hair dyes, the instructions say that you can put a hair dye on straight away. Also, have you dyed/bleached your hair previously before the red?

ReputationRep:
    Colour B4 is nowhere near as harsh as hair dyes, the instructions say that you can put a hair dye on straight away. Also, have you dyed/bleached your hair previously before the red?
    I had a lot of blonde highlights put in back in April!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had a lot of blonde highlights put in back in April!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd recommend extra strength! http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4-Ha...ength_1000976/
    Colour B4 was formulated to work successfully removing permanent colour in 20 minutes. Therefore this was originally the stated recommended processing time. However, following 12 months consumer feedback, it has been shown that for stubborn colour build up, a longer processing time may be required. Colour B4 has therefore updated its user instructions to recommend up to 60 minutes for stubborn colour build up.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend extra strength! http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4-Ha...ength_1000976/
    Colour B4 was formulated to work successfully removing permanent colour in 20 minutes. Therefore this was originally the stated recommended processing time. However, following 12 months consumer feedback, it has been shown that for stubborn colour build up, a longer processing time may be required. Colour B4 has therefore updated its user instructions to recommend up to 60 minutes for stubborn colour build up.
    Thank you for the help! I'm just so worried it's gonna go patchy and worse ☹️ I can't decide if I should use colour b4 then box dye it brown or just box dye it brown!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the help! I'm just so worried it's gonna go patchy and worse ☹️ I can't decide if I should use colour b4 then box dye it brown or just box dye it brown!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's best to get rid of some of that red asap! You'll have more of a natural outcome once you've picked a box dye and have faded some of the red (let me know how it goes!)

ReputationRep:
    It's best to get rid of some of that red asap! You'll have more of a natural outcome once you've picked a box dye and have faded some of the red (let me know how it goes!)
    That's a good idea! I so so so appreciate all your advice! Just one last question though. Any idea how long I need to wait before I can do the colour b4 and dye? My hair Was dyed red today and I need it gone asap (it's still in good condition)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's a good idea! I so so so appreciate all your advice! Just one last question though. Any idea how long I need to wait before I can do the colour b4 and dye? My hair Was dyed red today and I need it gone asap (it's still in good condition)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say go for it! If you think your hair feels in good condition you should be fine, Colour B4 has never left my hair damaged

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for it! If you think your hair feels in good condition you should be fine, Colour B4 has never left my hair damaged
    Wish me luck! Thanks again for your help! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wish me luck! Thanks again for your help! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries! I'm sure you'll be fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.