Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Does anyone go to Balliol, Oriel, Brasenose or any other college at oxford here ?

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I am considering applying to these three colleges and obviously open to other ones. I am an international student so I can't visit during open days so would love to hear from anyone that does go to oxford to learn more about the college and how important college is towards the experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danroj)
    I am considering applying to these three colleges and obviously open to other ones. I am an international student so I can't visit during open days so would love to hear from anyone that does go to oxford to learn more about the college and how important college is towards the experience etc.
    International student who went to Brasenose from 2011 to 2015! Can vouch that it's very friendly, accommodation is good and central (we also have some academic year long tenancies = accommodation during the holidays if you don't go home and no need to move out every 8 weeks), food's not bad and very value for money (although not great either).

Feel free to ask more specific questions if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Fullofsurprises went to Oriel afaik

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    International student who went to Brasenose from 2011 to 2015! Can vouch that it's very friendly, accommodation is good and central (we also have some academic year long tenancies = accommodation during the holidays if you don't go home and no need to move out every 8 weeks), food's not bad and very value for money (although not great either).

Heyya thank you for posting! I was wondering what the atmosphere is like? I'm not exactly huge on parties or 'bops' as they call it, and I don't drink either. But I am rather friendly and prefer hanging out with friends rather than going to a party and taking my clothes off if that makes sense. It is a small college and I will be older than most as I took gap year and will be 20 years old - will I be able to be friends with 3rd years and maybe graduates so people my age, or older? I have a difficult time as it is being friends with people my age and often get along with those at least 7 years older than me better so I'm worried about the social aspect. I'm honestly over partying and things like that so I fear I won't fit in. I am a bit of an introvert although I'm up for going out with friends and like minded people. How common are inter-college friendship and inter-year friendships? Can you go to dinner at other colleges as well? I found the halls at Balliol and Christ Church to be very pretty, not so much Brasenose's one though! Is it possible to get an ensuite as a first year as well? Also what made you pick Brasenose over the other colleges? Oh and what did you study there?

(Original post by the bear)
    Fullofsurprises went to Oriel afaik
    Hey thank you for posting. So what did you study at Oriel and what made you choose over Oriel over the other colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danroj)
    Heyya thank you for posting! I was wondering what the atmosphere is like? I'm not exactly huge on parties or 'bops' as they call it, and I don't drink either. But I am rather friendly and prefer hanging out with friends rather than going to a party and taking my clothes off if that makes sense. It is a small college and I will be older than most as I took gap year and will be 20 years old - will I be able to be friends with 3rd years and maybe graduates so people my age, or older? I have a difficult time as it is being friends with people my age and often get along with those at least 7 years older than me better so I'm worried about the social aspect. I'm honestly over partying and things like that so I fear I won't fit in. I am a bit of an introvert although I'm up for going out with friends and like minded people. How common are inter-college friendship and inter-year friendships? Can you go to dinner at other colleges as well? I found the halls at Balliol and Christ Church to be very pretty, not so much Brasenose's one though! Is it possible to get an ensuite as a first year as well? Also what made you pick Brasenose over the other colleges? Oh and what did you study there?
    It's friendly but cosy - we're probably below average in terms of student population (but not as small as say Corpus Christi), but big enough that everyone has their own niche.

For the record, I'm not a partier either, and I only drink recreationally (I remember doing some of the non-alcoholic fresher events, which included a trip to our local ice cream parlour, because I didn't want to go clubbing). Even then, I found a number of other activities to get involved in, whether at college or university-wide. People are also pretty chill about whether you drink or not - I've never been forced to drink/ club if I didn't want to.

20 is fine. The males in my country mostly come when they're 21 because of military conscription, and they've never had a problem integrating for age reasons as far as I know. As an undergrad, I didn't have much interactions with the postgrads though (did both at BNC), so I'm not entirely sure how you're going to befriend them, unless you do clubs/ sports/ activities that mix postgrads and undergrads. People in general are very friendly, and if they aren't, there's more than enough people out there who are.

Inter-college and inter-year friendships depend on your social circle. Since you're an international student, you're likely to get inter-college and inter-year friendships if you hang out with other internationals, including your countrymen. The other way you can do this is again by participating in clubs/ sports/ activities, which would bring you into contact with people from other years and colleges. It really just depends on what you do with your time, and Oxford is what you make of it.

You usually need a friend from that particular college to bring you in for a meal, even if it's just usual hall. There are a handful of exceptions (eg Mansfield) which allow payment in cash, but they're pretty limited. For formals, you definitely need a college member to book you in.

If you want en-suites, I wouldn't recommend BNC. We don't have a lot to begin with, and I never got one for the four years I was there, although to be honest I never really cared because sharing bathrooms is fine with me. I believe Worcester has a good proportion of en-suites, but even then there's no guarantee.

I did Law (BA Jurisprudence + BCL). I didn't actually apply to BNC; my high school has a policy of allocating colleges to applicants, and I was told to apply to Jesus. Got re-allocated pre-interview to BNC, and received my offer from BNC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)

Hi, what is the music scene like in Brasenose? (I might apply!)
    Also, I'm an international student, how likely is it that they might conduct a skype interview, because I don't think I will be able to go to Oxford if I am called for interview?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you find this quite useful for suggestions, I am international too and also used it to get some ideas
    http://apply.ousu.org/colleges/suggester/

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.