Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ways to get unpaid research experience watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I recently graduated in MSc Medical Microbiology (merit) and BSc Biomedical Science with 2.1. It is still not easy to get a full time job in relevant field. I intended to work in clinical lab in the future but I found it difficult for the entry into this field.

Therefore I am planning to get some experience, even for unpaid first. However I have only few directions of getting into this route. Some testing industries even said there was no vacanies when I phoned to their managers, even though I mentioned unpaid and I was willing to pay for the training costs. I am now thinking of getting experience in university research labs and it was quite frustrated when comes to searching and contacting of the PI........sometimes you even got no reply at all.

Back to the topic......
    my goal is to secure a placement in a university research lab or any private industries at this moment.....and I am willing to relocate anywhere. The money is not a problem. How do you guys manage to secure an unpaid placement opportunity, especially those after graduation?

Thanks all.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Keep on pestering and emailing people. Someone will respond. This field is definitely all about perseverance. See if you're eligible for any schemes.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by cheukhonleo)
    Dear all,

I recently graduated in MSc Medical Microbiology (merit) and BSc Biomedical Science with 2.1. It is still not easy to get a full time job in relevant field. I intended to work in clinical lab in the future but I found it difficult for the entry into this field.

Therefore I am planning to get some experience, even for unpaid first. However I have only few directions of getting into this route. Some testing industries even said there was no vacanies when I phoned to their managers, even though I mentioned unpaid and I was willing to pay for the training costs. I am now thinking of getting experience in university research labs and it was quite frustrated when comes to searching and contacting of the PI........sometimes you even got no reply at all.

Back to the topic......
    my goal is to secure a placement in a university research lab or any private industries at this moment.....and I am willing to relocate anywhere. The money is not a problem. How do you guys manage to secure an unpaid placement opportunity, especially those after graduation?

Thanks all.
    The advice I always provide people in education is to try and secure work experience in the field you want to work in prior to leaving education. A t best, you have credible and relevant experience in your chosen field that will be attractive to employers OR, at worst, you will have ruled out a company or type of job - great to know!

It sounds like from your post that you have now left education - is this the case?

A well written email highlighting that you are keen to both learn and demonstrate your capacity to work in X field. Within the email you could ask, 'Would there be a good time next week to discuss this?'. As a manager I am sure they will be busy, so an surprise call may not be welcomed!

Rather than the managers direct I would try both the Human Resources team (who will organise your placement details), or their Corporate Social Responsibility Team (CSR Team). These will ultimately the people who decide who does or doesn't enter the business.
    Helpful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheukhonleo)
    Dear all,

Back to the topic......

Thanks all.
    There are so many graduate opportunities in biomedicine
    Im not sure how competitive they are though
    Just keep calling places up and emailing them
    Type in graduate biology internships: honestly there are so many

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.