Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im going to st hildas (was pooled from jesus).

good intro books:

the world we're in/the state we're in by Will Hutton. - very argumentative, lots of facts, readable, good intro to politics and economics

The Worldly Philosophers by Robert Heibroner. More a biography/life and times of various economists and groups. good background though and readable.

The Philosopher at the end of the universe (titles some thing like this anyway). it explains sci-fi films like the matrix, minority report in terms of the philosophical ideas behind them. its quite funny, gives an overview of kant, mill, descartes, nietschze(spell?) and some others as well. not the most intellectual of books but its got a lot of basic philosophy.

otherwise check deianra's economics reading list - lots on there, you can pick and choose the ones you're interested in. dont read ones youre not, not worth it really. and if youre not interested in any of them after reading them, you're applying for the wrong thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Yes It is, but you may find it difficult getting into very popular places like oxford, because you are not doing A-level Mathematics. History A-level is also desirable but your doing English Lit so thats fine.

If i were you i'd declare that i will be doing AS Maths in year 13 and start working on it now. You done Physics AS which covers 90% of M1, you just need to learn P1 and P2, Ur offer may not even include AS maths anyway but its nice to have it because Economics at degree level requires a good knowlege of stuff like calculus which u learn in A-level Maths.

I think if u do AS MAths u 'd have a good chance of getting into a top place.
    Whats M!, P1 and P2?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcr8iv)
    Whats M!, P1 and P2?????
    Mechanics 1, Pure 1 and Pure 2 - they're all modules in A Level Maths

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I know this post is a bit old. But with ABB predicted grades, is there any chance I can get in for PPE? (surely not for Oxford and Warwick I suppose)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lost_in_cyberia)
    Sorry I know this post is a bit old. But with ABB predicted grades, is there any chance I can get in for PPE? (surely not for Oxford and Warwick I suppose)
    At some places quite possibly, although both of those usually ask for AAA, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't. I'm not sure really which places do PPE other than those, York and Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcr8iv)
    Whats M!, P1 and P2?????
    Mechanics 1, Pure 2 and Pure 3. 3 maths modules. In AQA AS Maths, you take P1, P2 and either S1 (statistics 1) or M1.

ReputationRep:
    Theres always a chance! You have good grades and a wide variety of subjects, so theirs no reason not to give it a go, just don't expect to get all 6 offers as the competition is very fierce.

As somebody has mentioned not that many unis do PPE. Oxford obviously does, York, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham as people have mentioned, check on the UCAS directory.

The thing with Maths is so complex, and I'd strongly advise as somebody has done checking with every university individually what the requirements are for maths. Many require a full A Level now and don't even accept AS Maths which is quite harsh Often maths is just a trip criteria to reduce the number of possible applicants, and once you are on the course you can do as much/as little maths, within reason, as you want.

Some good books on philosophy that are basic introductions are written by a guy called Nigel Warburton. Free Lunch is an economics book by David Smith, writer in the Times, which also includes sort of philosophoical and political ideas in a way, so thats quite a nice one. Amazon marketplace is where people sell old text books and you can pick up some good value stuff there

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Sophie's World is a good book about philosophy, I only got half way through before I gave up though Didn't leave myself enough time before my interview to read it. Will finish it one day...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 24, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.