Turn on thread page Beta

Exam Results Royal Mail Strike. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think we can therefore say in unison, that the Royal Mail workers do not deserve to have a pay rise. Soon they're going to be paid just as much as teachers:rolleyes: Grrrr!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Then to be honest some teachers (minority) arnt worth what they pay for them the food teacher who u ask what does whisk the egg to stiff peaks mean? and says i dont know its not my job hmmm worth twenty grand a year i dont think so.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were striking over something to do with modernisation of the service. That's what I read in the paper, but obviously you can't always trust the media to get their facts straight. Anyway, since when is it up to employees to dictate their pay? They knew what their pay, conditions etc was going to be when they signed up, so if they weren't happy with it, they shouldn't have taken the job. Striking every chance they get and affecting the whole country is just lazy and selfish. Why should they get a pay rise (or why shouldn't they get a pay cut) when their service is far from efficient? It's not unusual to get post at about 3-4 pm now and at the moment it's coming in dribs and drabs because of all the stikes. On several occasions, they haven't even bothered to knock/ring the doorbell when they've had a parcel to deliver and instead they've just pushed a card through the door saying no one was in! They also get some pretty good perks, judging by my mum's friends who are posties and get cheap tickets for loads of things like the cinema and theme parks, and they've paid off their mortgage and go on holiday abroad 3 times a year, so they're not exactly hard up. What makes them think a strike for better pay is justified???

Rant :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_qween)
    OBVIOUSLY none of you know what the dispute over pay is actually about. Royal Mail is trying to CUT their pay, and they are striking against it!!! Stop being such whiners, its not as if you OWN Royal Mail, just because they deliver the post its not as if they have to do everything for you. It takes upto midday because they only a limited number of people delivering the mail, and cant extend the workforces because they dont have enough money to. GAH!
    Shut up! No, we don't own royal mail, but we pay for stamps, and packaging costs. The least they could do is deliver our stuff on time.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't they have been a little more considerate and delayed the strike until exams results season was over. I dont have the option of colecting my results at school since it's 20 miles away and therefore they send the results out to the students instead. They should normally arrive on results day but with this stupid postal strike who knows if I am to get them on the 16th. I will seriously kick up a fuss if I dont get them. What am I supposed to do if I dont make my firm offer and I have to phone up the uni to plead for a place. I cant do that without my results. It's typical something like this has to happen. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gryffprefect)
    Couldn't they have been a little more considerate and delayed the strike until exams results season was over. I dont have the option of colecting my results at school since it's 20 miles away and therefore they send the results out to the students instead. They should normally arrive on results day but with this stupid postal strike who knows if I am to get them on the 16th. I will seriously kick up a fuss if I dont get them. What am I supposed to do if I dont make my firm offer and I have to phone up the uni to plead for a place. I cant do that without my results. It's typical something like this has to happen. :rolleyes:
    Seriously, don't worry about your results If they aren't delivered, the school will probably be able to print them out themselves for you, because schools get them on EDI too You'll be fine with getting your results Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    I dont have the option of colecting my results at school since it's 20 miles away
    My school is 24 miles away, and I will be going there to collect them - even though in the holidays, public transport is appalling in the area I go to school in.

ReputationRep:
    Even if I lived 20 miles away I'd still go (I'm assuming some kind of transport is available, I apologise if not)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    Seriously, don't worry about your results If they aren't delivered, the school will probably be able to print them out themselves for you, because schools get them on EDI too You'll be fine with getting your results Don't worry
    Yeah, the school does print them out the day before then sends them to the pupils. The results usually arrive at the students homes on results day. The school will recieve the results on time but whether I recieve them from the school on time is a whole different story. But I always worry that I am not going to recieve them even without the postal strike. So I always over react slightly:rolleyes: .

(Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    My school is 24 miles away, and I will be going there to collect them - even though in the holidays, public transport is appalling in the area I go to school in.
    It's mainly because most students live 20 miles away from the school and therefore they dont give us the option of collecting them ourselves. I'm sure that some people at my school would like the option of collecting them but unfortunately we have no choice but to rely on the mail. And even if they did give us that option I couldnt make it up there due to the same problem as you, unreliable public transport. The distance is a factor but it's mainly that they dont give us the option of collecting them.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, I thought it was an optional thing. We have to leave an SAE in the office if we want them posting out, they used to read them out over the phone but there were some problems with that before, so they stopped it apparently. The public transport in the town my school is in is appalling, I have to get a train to one town and then an hour's bus ride around the countryside to get there.

However back to the topic of the post, does your school have any 'contingency' plans in place? It may be worth ringing up and asking, perhaps they could courier them or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    Oh right, I thought it was an optional thing. We have to leave an SAE in the office if we want them posting out, they used to read them out over the phone but there were some problems with that before, so they stopped it apparently. The public transport in the town my school is in is appalling, I have to get a train to one town and then an hour's bus ride around the countryside to get there.

However back to the topic of the post, does your school have any 'contingency' plans in place? It may be worth ringing up and asking, perhaps they could courier them or something?
    Truthfully not sure, but I am sure they will find some way to get them out to us. From what I can tell the sorting centres in Northern Ireland dont seem to be as affected compared to the mainland, however you really cant tell with the Royal mail. Except for a couple of days last week the mail here seems to have been fine. I'm sure if my school do have problems trying to get results out to people then they will perhaps try and contact the students themselves. I think I am just over-reacting slightly, if you get what I mean::p: .
    I'm just slighty annoyed that these strikers havent considered the impact they could have during exam results season. Hopefully everything will be fine . *crosses fingers*

ReputationRep:
    they don't deserve the insignia anymore. i bet the queen uses email or text anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people blaming the postmen (or women) for how late the post arrives? They don't decide when the post comes. They don't set out the timetables or decide how many people are employed. Do you have instances (other than in the strike) when the postal workers have done what they haven't been told? I think your criticism needs to be directed to Royal Mail and the management, not to ordinary postmen.

ReputationRep:
    I hate Royal Mail! Stop being lazy barstards and do your job properly and maybe then you'll deserve a pay rise!

This is so totally selfish of them. They've picked that day on purpose to cause maximum inconvenience - and it's not just inconvenient, they're going to make it very difficult to do something that is vitally important for students who want to enter Clearing.

Besides, they've been having strikes for weeks on end now, why do they need to do another one on that day? To prove how pathetic and useless and disloyal they are?! They should outlaw freaking strikes, they bloody well pee everyone off!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the school does print them out the day before then sends them to the pupils. The results usually arrive at the students homes on results day.

It's mainly because most students live 20 miles away from the school and therefore they dont give us the option of collecting them ourselves.
    Oh right, I see. At our school though, they post results on results day so if you don't go get them personally you have to wait longer for them to be posted! So you can see why I'd go the distance even if it was 20 miles - rather then wait a whole extra day!

ReputationRep:
    It looks like next weeks strikes have been suspended anyway.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...diaId=51600692

ReputationRep:
    Im glad i found this thread. iv been ranting about the royal mail going on strike for weeks. though everything from ucas has made it through so maybe acceptance letters wont be effected.
    However birthday cards dont, and neither does other important mail. :|

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.