Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,
    I am a third year adult nursing student currently going through the difficult task of deciding upon a dissertation topic:
    So far I have decided to either focus on fluid balance charting or nursing handovers, as I find both interesting and they would both relate well to service improvement in my final module!
    My problem: I am struggling to format and refine a specific question and would be very grateful of some advice on this.
    I have written these so far:

An exploration into the efficacy between written and spoken handover within an acute setting in nursing practice.

An exploration into the effectiveness of fluid balance charts in preventing dehydration for patient with Dementia in the acute setting.
    An exploration into the barriers of optimal use of fluid balances charts within the acute adult setting in nursing practice.Many thanks,Chloe

ReputationRep:
    Have you researched any of the titles you're looking at?
    See what you can find the most information on to then write about. And try to make sure it's one you're going to like writing about too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have indeed. I'm thinking of doing the one about handovers as there is lots of research on it and it is pretty interesting. I'm just finding it difficult to adapt my original idea into a proper dissertation question/title!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, what's the exact "brief" for your diss? More than happy to help but to know what is expected of you would be useful so I can give the best advice. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    7000 word, literature based dissertation that is related to nursing practice. It needs to include practice based material in order to reflect upon and critically analyse practice. Must contribute to an identified aim related to the nursing aspect examined. Must show a comprehensive knowledge base.
    That is really all we've been given at the moment!
    Thank-you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlo_22)
    7000 word, literature based dissertation that is related to nursing practice. It needs to include practice based material in order to reflect upon and critically analyse practice. Must contribute to an identified aim related to the nursing aspect examined. Must show a comprehensive knowledge base.
    That is really all we've been given at the moment!
    Thank-you
    Gosh that's not much to go on, really is it!? I'd definitely look into the handover subject. There was quite a lot of work done on SBAR around that too.

I don't think your title necessarily has to be a question, unless this is something you have been asked to do - however your third sentence about an identified aim seems as if having a question might be a way to go. Sorry, that's probably not a huge amount of help. The best thing to do is go and ask your supervisor for more information. My university were the same, but I used to hate how unclear instructions for assignments were!

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you, it has been helpful! I have found probably a little too much information, so I am going to have to specify my question a bit more. I think the topic has a good amount of scope and literature

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.