Completed a history degree, unsure If a masters is the best path.

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Hey I recently finished my degree where i achieved a 2:1. I have never had a career path or plan, university was a last minute decision and I picked a topic that I knew would love. The last 3 years have been great, reconfirmed my love of exploring the past and the modules that i have studied have been varied and lectures engaging.However, now that I am finished i feel a bit lost. What does one actually do with said degree? I have been told that it is a bit tricky to turn a history degree into a job. I had considered a masters, possibly in culture studies (which blends history, religion, film studies, marketing etc) or a masters in the First World War. My question is, where do these degrees and masters actually take you career wise? I have looked on many graduate job sites and i have struggled to see any jobs that I could actually apply for, never mind it being something that I would want to do. I am open to any career path, just nothing to do with teaching.Before I consider a masters, i want to make sure that it will take me down the right path and i will not waste another year on study that will not make me more marketable to a potential employer. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I would be grateful. Or any other courses that i could take now i have a history degree that could take me in a completely different direction.Sooo. To sum up, I am a bit lost, could use a bit of help or guidance if anyone has any to give.Thanks chaps.

ReputationRep:
    neither of the masters that you mention will take you anywhere specific in career terms, although I have no doubt that both would be fun to study. at best you would be facing the same career dilemma in a year; at worst they could actually hinder your chances of getting entry level jobs to build experience - which is the key to career success.

if you can afford the time and fees, and are happy to study for the love of the subject, then go for it. but unless you know that you are doing it specifically to fulfil a specific requirement for a specific career goal that you have then don't expect it to take you anywhere. the last guy with a history masters I met was doing a 6 month membership recruitment contract for a charity, which he could have done without the masters

personally, I have an undergraduate history degree and I have worked as a solicitor (required the law conversion and law finals) and now I work for a conservation charity (in between I did a masters in wildlife conservation specifically to be able to tick the box of a 'relevant' degree - although it was also great fun). in both of those cases I did the extra study because it was a specific requirement for the career that I wanted. if you are not sure about your path you would probably be better getting ANY job to get experience and a work reference. history should have given you critical and analytical thinking and writing skills and the ability to master information quickly - start by looking for jobs that need the skills you have? if not start with a non *graduate* job, stay focussed and work your way up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pariah)
    neither of the masters that you mention will take you anywhere specific in career terms, although I have no doubt that both would be fun to study. at best you would be facing the same career dilemma in a year; at worst they could actually hinder your chances of getting entry level jobs to build experience - which is the key to career success.

if you can afford the time and fees, and are happy to study for the love of the subject, then go for it. but unless you know that you are doing it specifically to fulfil a specific requirement for a specific career goal that you have then don't expect it to take you anywhere. the last guy with a history masters I met was doing a 6 month membership recruitment contract for a charity, which he could have done without the masters

personally, I have an undergraduate history degree and I have worked as a solicitor (required the law conversion and law finals) and now I work for a conservation charity (in between I did a masters in wildlife conservation specifically to be able to tick the box of a 'relevant' degree - although it was also great fun). in both of those cases I did the extra study because it was a specific requirement for the career that I wanted. if you are not sure about your path you would probably be better getting ANY job to get experience and a work reference. history should have given you critical and analytical thinking and writing skills and the ability to master information quickly - start by looking for jobs that need the skills you have? if not start with a non *graduate* job, stay focussed and work your way up
    How did you afford both the GDL and the LPC AND an additional masters? Rich family?

Also why did you quit being a solicitor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DraculaMihawk)
    How did you afford both the GDL and the LPC AND an additional masters? Rich family?

It was not hard to self-fund a masters after 15 years as a moderately successful commercial solicitor.

I quit being a solicitor because I had lost interest in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by survivorsofakind)
    I have been told that it is a bit tricky to turn a history degree into a job.
    Employers generally care very little about your degree subject.

My question is, where do these degrees and masters actually take you career wise?
    Only do an MA History if your aim is a PhD/academia/teaching. For all other careers where knowledge of history is very important, e.g. political journalism, a masters will be a waste of time/money.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Hey I recently finished my degree where i achieved a 2:1. I have never had a career path or plan, university was a last minute decision and I picked a topic that I knew would love. The last 3 years have been great, reconfirmed my love of exploring the past and the modules that i have studied have been varied and lectures engaging.However, now that I am finished i feel a bit lost. What does one actually do with said degree? I have been told that it is a bit tricky to turn a history degree into a job. I had considered a masters, possibly in culture studies (which blends history, religion, film studies, marketing etc) or a masters in the First World War. My question is, where do these degrees and masters actually take you career wise? I have looked on many graduate job sites and i have struggled to see any jobs that I could actually apply for, never mind it being something that I would want to do. I am open to any career path, just nothing to do with teaching.Before I consider a masters, i want to make sure that it will take me down the right path and i will not waste another year on study that will not make me more marketable to a potential employer. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I would be grateful. Or any other courses that i could take now i have a history degree that could take me in a completely different direction.Sooo. To sum up, I am a bit lost, could use a bit of help or guidance if anyone has any to give.Thanks chaps.
    A history degree simply ticks the 'have a degree' box. The rest of getting a job is totally down to you, in terms of deciding what you want to do, getting work experience and putting together a strong application.Some areas to look into include the civil service, law via the GDL, marketing, accounting, communications and fundraising (by that I don't mean door knocking, I mean working in a charity office) so encompassing both corporate and not for profit organisations.

Neither of the masters you have named will help careers wise, a Museum Studies or heritage/archive based may potentially in combination with experience and a strong job application but you would need to do further research into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DraculaMihawk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A decent number of firms sponsor both the gdl and lpc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a recent graduate you'll still be able to access the uni's careers service. Pick their brains about careers, jobs and courses. Without having some idea about a career it would be pretty pointless doing a masters at this stage. Go get some experience in a job until you have a better idea what you want to do in life. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with doing a masters for the love of studying your subject. It could lead to other opportunities such as phd study.

The job market and opportunities are so random that there's nothing wrong with going with the flow and being a bit spontaneous. If you fancy a masters in history then go for it when I did a masters straight after undergraduate, I used the time to do part time jobs and evening courses in a range of things to help me be more informed about what I wanted to do. Twas good.

As said above cnat see the point of those masters unless they serve a specific puprose i.e academia. Just sounds like an excuse to do another years study. Plenty of jobs will take a history degree, but the bigger issue is you have no idea what you wish to do.
    =====================> careers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Only do a History MA if you can go to Oxbridge/LSE and get good grades. It will be too much of a gamble otherwise (unless you want to go in Academia). Then you may be to get a job in journalism, consulting, politics, etc. but you need a network, good internship experiences, and possible a foreign language for that, something that you apparently lack.

The number of jobs directly linked to a History degree are scarce, and you already ruled out teaching. You can try the Heritage sector, but you will need a professional master in that field as it is very competitive to get in. However, some masters will only take you if you already have one year of experience under your belt.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/archaeology/po...rammes/maichm/
    https://le.ac.uk/courses/museum-studies-ma-msc
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...-management-ma

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.