Turn on thread page Beta

Going out uni clothes - Help! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    it kind of pisses me off that everyone thinks students have to dress like hobos, otherwise they're 'immature' or 'shallow' or whatever.

it really takes no more effort to bung on a cute dress, some comfy boots and some beads than it does to put grungey jeans, baggy hoodies and ratty trainers on, now does it?!

sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine - when people think 'stchooodents' automatically have to adopt some kind of sheep-like uniform. you can dress nicely and still care about your studies - you just put more effort into waking up more than 5 mins before your bus arrives!

[/rant]
    I'd just like to say, wearing a hoody and jeans doesn't mean you have to look like a hobo. Why assume that the jeans are grungey, the hoody baggy and the trainers ratty?

That's a pet peeve of mine - the assumption that hoody = tramp! Personally I'm more comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans (a la Beyonce here: http://theskinnywebsite.com/site/wp-...eyoncetrl2.jpg) than I am in dresses and boots, but that doesn't mean I look unwashed and sheeplike.

And FYI, despite the hoodies/t-shirts and trainers, I do still wake up with more than enough time to shower, sort my hair out and do my makeup :p:

Anyway, the general point was, a lot of people find hoodies comfortable for lectures. That doesn't mean they are lazy student bums dressing that way to fit in with the crowd, it simply means it's an easy choice that many people choose to take. Other people make other choices, like dresses and boots, but at university, no-one really cares either way. Pinelem won't be judged for dressing smartly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    it kind of pisses me off that everyone thinks students have to dress like hobos, otherwise they're 'immature' or 'shallow' or whatever.

it really takes no more effort to bung on a cute dress, some comfy boots and some beads than it does to put grungey jeans, baggy hoodies and ratty trainers on, now does it?!

sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine - when people think 'stchooodents' automatically have to adopt some kind of sheep-like uniform. you can dress nicely and still care about your studies - you just put more effort into waking up more than 5 mins before your bus arrives!

[/rant]

definitely, people at my uni dress so ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    I'd just like to say, wearing a hoody and jeans doesn't mean you have to look like a hobo. Why assume that the jeans are grungey, the hoody baggy and the trainers ratty?

That's a pet peeve of mine - the assumption that hoody = tramp! Personally I'm more comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans (a la Beyonce here: http://theskinnywebsite.com/site/wp-...eyoncetrl2.jpg) than I am in dresses and boots, but that doesn't mean I look unwashed and sheeplike.

And FYI, despite the hoodies/t-shirts and trainers, I do still wake up with more than enough time to shower, sort my hair out and do my makeup :p:

Anyway, the general point was, a lot of people find hoodies comfortable for lectures. That doesn't mean they are lazy student bums dressing that way to fit in with the crowd, it simply means it's an easy choice that many people choose to take. Other people make other choices, like dresses and boots, but at university, no-one really cares either way. Pinelem won't be judged for dressing smartly.
    lol sorry that rant wasn't aimed directly at you!

of course hoodies and jeans can look supercute if you have the right style and are clean and well-groomed, but there are a huge amount of people who think that if you bother to shower everyday and make sure your clothes don't have baked bean stains on them you are stuck-up and shallow and don't care about your studies as much as those who rolled out of bed and fell into their laundry bin!

those are the people who annoy me, and the ones who i think are actually immature! - the op must be warned that people like this exist; at least, they do at my uni! (thankfully i tend to associate with the more well-groomed folk :cool: :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    lol sorry that rant wasn't aimed directly at you!

of course hoodies and jeans can look supercute if you have the right style and are clean and well-groomed, but there are a huge amount of people who think that if you bother to shower everyday and make sure your clothes don't have baked bean stains on them you are stuck-up and shallow and don't care about your studies as much as those who rolled out of bed and fell into their laundry bin!

those are the people who annoy me, and the ones who i think are actually immature! - the op must be warned that people like this exist; at least, they do at my uni! (thankfully i tend to associate with the more well-groomed folk :cool: :p:)
    Agreed :cool:

I have to say, I can't believe the personal hygiene of some students I've met. Some people actually find it really strange that I shower every day... !?! And don't get me started about how often some people use the washing machine

ReputationRep:
    Smoothie - o0o yeah I'll have to invest in a pair of indigo jeans, they do sound smarter, more 'dressy' than light coloured ones. Still in the skinny jean style? I actually think skinny jeans look the most nicest when going out compared to the other styles.

Hehe why are people talking about hoodies and jeans!? :p: I know how to pluck out an unflattering hoody - I need to move away from it!! lol.

Btw I'm not a tomboy/doesn't care about fashion/walks around with greasy hair...just that I haven't been to pubs/clubs (sad, I know) so needed advice on those sort of clothes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)

[/rant]
    Thats silllleh. Just beacsue someone wheres ripped jeans or blaggy clothes doesn't mean they're unclean or whatever. Allthough..I do some some hoodie wearings dudes who reallly need to wash their bloody hair -screams- and never come near me when they're all sweaty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)

[/rant]
    Yup, I agree. I used to be a total slop but now enjoy making a bit of an effort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    I think you've completely missed the point of the jeans/t-shirt/hoody combo.

I've found that at uni, no-one gives two ****s what you wear. So if you want to wear something pretty/unique then no-one will judge you, and lots of people (myself included) do sometimes. But for lectures, frankly my main priority isn't tarting myself and making myself look presentable - it's getting to uni on time to sit and learn from the lecture. It's quicker and easier to grab a hoody and a pair of jeans for a lot of people, especially if you've got a 7.15 bus to catch.

It's not borne out of wanting to look like a student or fit in with everyone else, it's just an easy way to get dressed in the morning.

When I was in sixth form I used to spend ages finding unique clothes to wear to school but now my priorities have changed. I like to think I've grown up a bit.

Night time is completely different - that's when most people put in the most effort. OP, I'd really recommend getting a few dresses. They can be really cheap if you're lucky, in fact I just bought a brown jersey dress from Monsoon for £15 and my all time favourite was £25 from freespirit! They can be dressed up or down so if you fancied wearing it down the pub, you could with some flip-flops or flats and a cardi, or for a club you could wear them with heels and chunky jewellery

Edit: maybe something like this? http://www.****buymail.com/ProductDe...ryID=w_dresses (replace the stars with f c u k)
    That's good to hear that no-one cares what you wear at Uni. Because at school it wasn't like that at all.;no; :nn: Fyi I never tart myself up, I don't go in for that, unlike loads of girls at school who were forever in front of a mirror, checking their outfit and make-up constantly :nn: and that's all they were there for!:nn: and my priority has never been to look good; my priority for education has, and always will be, to learn as much as possible. I don't spend that long getting ready in the morning for early starts either but that doesn't mean that I wear hoodies, t-shirts and jeans. I just think that our styles are different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)

ReputationRep:
    i think you should go have a wee look in topshop, river island, miss selfridge and other high street shops and see what you would feel comfortable in. try outfits on and see if you would feel comfortable going to the pub or a club or where ever in that out fit. we can all say oh wear this or wear that but you'll only pull off what you actually like and feel confident in. i like to think that people will be less shallow than to judge me on what i wear to uni or out and for those who do they know where they can stick their opinions lol..im a really girlie girl and even going to the pub ill wear heels and a dressy top with jeans or whatever because thats what im comfortable in. theres no dress code so dont feel under pressure to dress a certain way or have a certain look..by all means get some new clothes (we all need some retail therapy at stressfull times lol) but dont get too worked up about it! also some days you maybe wont be bothered with putting an effort in..anyways hope you find some nice outfits..happy shopping lol! xx

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.