Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This always seems to be a dodgy issue. I always assumed pressing refresh really quickly( ie holding teh F5 key down) doesn't affect the server greatly, as sometimes a connection isn't even made. However, I was on a messageboard and my F5 key got jammed! took me a while to find a screwdriver and prise it back up again, but by that time, the number of views for that topic had reached 3000 and something. I tried it on another site ( for less than a minute) and I noticed it had nearly no effect..it went up by about 8. I'm assuming it's do do with the badnwidth of the site and server in question, but since I have no way of visiting the site from two different locations at the same time, I can't tell if it gets slowed down.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to on this site, especially if you've alreay got a server busy message - it's better not to press refresh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    This always seems to be a dodgy issue. I always assumed pressing refresh really quickly( ie holding teh F5 key down) doesn't affect the server greatly, as sometimes a connection isn't even made. However, I was on a messageboard and my F5 key got jammed! took me a while to find a screwdriver and prise it back up again, but by that time, the number of views for that topic had reached 3000 and something. I tried it on another site ( for less than a minute) and I noticed it had nearly no effect..it went up by about 8. I'm assuming it's do do with the badnwidth of the site and server in question, but since I have no way of visiting the site from two different locations at the same time, I can't tell if it gets slowed down.
    whats wrong with pressin refresh once?

ReputationRep:
    Everytime you refresh your questing that packets are sent from the server to your PC. If enough people refresh then this can put severe load onto the server. On a database driven site like this there is a bit of processing power involved as well to get the correct records out of the database.

So refreshing:

1)Uses bandwidth
    2)Drains the processing power of the server

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the computing lesson, once again

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.