Does refreshing rapidly slow a site down?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Spider
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
This always seems to be a dodgy issue. I always assumed pressing refresh really quickly( ie holding teh F5 key down) doesn't affect the server greatly, as sometimes a connection isn't even made. However, I was on a messageboard and my F5 key got jammed! took me a while to find a screwdriver and prise it back up again, but by that time, the number of views for that topic had reached 3000 and something. I tried it on another site ( for less than a minute) and I noticed it had nearly no effect..it went up by about 8. I'm assuming it's do do with the badnwidth of the site and server in question, but since I have no way of visiting the site from two different locations at the same time, I can't tell if it gets slowed down.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It seems to on this site, especially if you've alreay got a server busy message - it's better not to press refresh.
Revelation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Spider)
This always seems to be a dodgy issue. I always assumed pressing refresh really quickly( ie holding teh F5 key down) doesn't affect the server greatly, as sometimes a connection isn't even made. However, I was on a messageboard and my F5 key got jammed! took me a while to find a screwdriver and prise it back up again, but by that time, the number of views for that topic had reached 3000 and something. I tried it on another site ( for less than a minute) and I noticed it had nearly no effect..it went up by about 8. I'm assuming it's do do with the badnwidth of the site and server in question, but since I have no way of visiting the site from two different locations at the same time, I can't tell if it gets slowed down.
whats wrong with pressin refresh once?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Everytime you refresh your questing that packets are sent from the server to your PC. If enough people refresh then this can put severe load onto the server. On a database driven site like this there is a bit of processing power involved as well to get the correct records out of the database.

So refreshing:

1)Uses bandwidth
2)Drains the processing power of the server
Revelation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks for the computing lesson, once again
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (29)
8.48%
Confident (45)
13.16%
Indifferent (51)
14.91%
Unsure (83)
24.27%
Worried (134)
39.18%

Watched Threads