Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in geophysics at durham but I only do one science subject. (I do Maths, Geography and Business)

It says on the website all courses require 2 science subjects so will my application be rejected without even being considered?

Thanks in advance
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
    I'm interested in geophysics at durham but I only do one science subject. (I do Maths, Geography and Business)

It says on the website all courses require 2 science subjects so will my application be rejected without even being considered?

Thanks in advance
    Do you know where Durham defines what they mean by a science subject? Quite a lot of universities actually class Geography as a science subject so I think there's a reasonable chance that your A Levels are valid, however you may want to email them to check if you can't find a list of subjects they count as sciences.

Edit: For their Natural Sciences course, they do not seem to count Geography as a science. If this is the case, it's very possible that your application would be rejected, however I would still recommend emailing to check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Do you know where Durham defines what they mean by a science subject? Quite a lot of universities actually class Geography as a science subject so I think there's a reasonable chance that your A Levels are valid, however you may want to email them to check if you can't find a list of subjects they count as sciences.

Edit: For their Natural Sciences course, they do not seem to count Geography as a science. If this is the case, it's very possible that your application would be rejected, however I would still recommend emailing to check.
    In this case, would you recommend swapping Business for Physics as I am early on in the course?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    In this case, would you recommend swapping Business for Physics as I am early on in the course?
    Yes, I definitely would.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in geophysics at Durham but I only do one science subject. (I do Maths, Geography and Business)

Thanks in advance
    Hello. Where are you doing Maths now? By the way, I've applied to Durham, so I might see you there.

Also, the clue is in the title: geophysics = geo (geology, geography etc.) + physics.

Do you miss Mr Roberts?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.