Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Forced to do BTEC, do I have options next year?

ReputationRep:
    In simple, I only got 4 GCSEs and so my options was very limited due to the fact I failed my english lang and maths, I'm retaking both of these and are confident over english language but I am going to revise INTENSELY to get atleast a C in my maths.

Now I was told during my interview that if I get my A*-C's in english and maths, and then my D*-P in my BTEC I would be able to do A levels, now my current teacher talks so much about a BTEC Level 3 to me where I just want to do my original A Levels choices I wanted to do.

Is it possible for me to do a complete change starting my second year into doing first year A Levels or am I limited now?

ReputationRep:
    Simple solution which is what I done :
    AS/Year 12 - 3 AS Levels alongside a BTEC
    Results day - Do good in everything, drop the BTEC
    A2/Year 13 - Work for three A-Levels
    Leave with 3 A-levels and a BTEC certificate.
    Uni = No problem

But I think you have to be honest with yourself- why did you fail those GCSEs?

While there will be people who turned 4 GCSEs into a good degree via what Lee did, that's only really possibly if a) you failed because you were lazy and b) those results shocked you enough to pull your finger out.

IF you didn't do so well due to ability issues, AS/A2 are not for you. It's a huge leap from GCSE to AS which is why some colleges won't let you on their AS course without at least a B in the GCSE, plus a decent across-the-board GCSE pass profile.

Your teacher talking BTEC level 3 is probably got your best interests at heart, and recognises that 4 GCSEs isn't that great as a basis for AS/A2 levels.

Anything is possibly (within reason!) but you have to be honest with yourself about why you failed.

ReputationRep:
    I have enrolled several students in the exact same situation as you this year and a couple of assignment in I can clearly see that A Levels would definitely have killed them off! Some are retaking Maths and English and a couple of Level 2 BTEC courses in order to increase their GCSE and Level 2 grades, they are doing ok. I have one student who insisted he could do BTEC Level 3 and he is now really struggling even though we have only done one assignment todate.

As one of the other posters said, you really have to be honest with yourself as to why you failed in the first place. Another thing to think about is that most A Level subjects are now linear and you wont sit an exam for two years. You will also be enrolled onto the New BTEC Level 3 which will incorporate an exam and controlled assessments, so it wont be easy either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btectutor)
    I have enrolled several students in the exact same situation as you this year and a couple of assignment in I can clearly see that A Levels would definitely have killed them off! Some are retaking Maths and English and a couple of Level 2 BTEC courses in order to increase their GCSE and Level 2 grades, they are doing ok. I have one student who insisted he could do BTEC Level 3 and he is now really struggling even though we have only done one assignment todate.

As one of the other posters said, you really have to be honest with yourself as to why you failed in the first place. Another thing to think about is that most A Level subjects are now linear and you wont sit an exam for two years. You will also be enrolled onto the New BTEC Level 3 which will incorporate an exam and controlled assessments, so it wont be easy either.
    What do you teach, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    What do you teach, if you don't mind me asking?
    I don't mind you asking ,but im not telling as I do try to be sort of anonymous.
    I like to recommend The Student Room to my own students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btectutor)
    I don't mind you asking ,but im not telling as I do try to be sort of anonymous.
    I like to recommend The Student Room to my own students.

My son wanted to do A level Maths , Computing and Physics - but because he didn't get a B in Maths the college wouldn't let him do A levels in Physics (because it is quite maths based ) or in the Math - so he took A level Computing A level electronics and A level IT re-sat his GCSE maths to try to get it up to a B and re-sat his
    English as he only got a D - in the hope that he could do A level maths and physics the next year - the College and his old teacher at school had told him he would be better doing a BTEC but he insisted he was better doing exams rather than course work.

He didn't get the maths up to a B- he failed electronics and scraped a pass in Applied IT and Computing - He then switched on to a BTEC level 3 in IT and with a
    LOT of hard work came out with a DDD and is now studying computer science at uni (even without a B in maths, as they teach you the computer maths you need to know - discrete maths I think its called)

He has just started his second year after finishing his first year on a first averaging over 70% on his course and getting a £1000 bonus from the uni for doing so - plus he found he knew a lot more than the students who had done the maths and the physics as he had covered a lot of the first years subject matter in some way shape or form and knew how to write reports where as the A level students didn't - don't
    listen to anyone who tells you BTECs aren't as good as A levels.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to pharmacy this year with a BTEC.

Keele 4 year
    UEA 4 year
    Reading 4 year
    Manchester foundation
    Wolverhampton 4 year

I HIGHLY reccomend that you check the course structure, because if there isn't at least 6-7 chemistry units (mandatory units not considered) you are not getting accepted into any chemistry degrees without an A level on the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miljee)
    But I think you have to be honest with yourself- why did you fail those GCSEs?

While there will be people who turned 4 GCSEs into a good degree via what Lee did, that's only really possibly if a) you failed because you were lazy and b) those results shocked you enough to pull your finger out.

IF you didn't do so well due to ability issues, AS/A2 are not for you. It's a huge leap from GCSE to AS which is why some colleges won't let you on their AS course without at least a B in the GCSE, plus a decent across-the-board GCSE pass profile.

Your teacher talking BTEC level 3 is probably got your best interests at heart, and recognises that 4 GCSEs isn't that great as a basis for AS/A2 levels.

Anything is possibly (within reason!) but you have to be honest with yourself about why you failed.
    I failed in highschool as well. I got 4 gcses and had to beg to be let on my course. people change and people are capable. I am not the person I was when i left high school, not even close.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.