KH_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
people please help xx

how do i tackle this question by applying ratio test? i know i should go by simplify An+1 /An but i could never reach the form
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KH_)
people please help xx

how do i tackle this question by applying ratio test? i know i should go by simplify An+1 /An but i could never reach the form
What question???
KH_
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
What question???
Name:  kk.png
Views: 193
Size:  50.4 KB
sorry i wasnt able to add the picture .
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KH_)
Name:  kk.png
Views: 193
Size:  50.4 KB
sorry i wasnt able to add the picture .
Like you said, the ratio test is a good shout here, you get:

\displaystyle \frac{5^{r+1} + 1}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} \times \frac{r^r + 3}{5^r + 1} < \frac{5^{r+1} + 5}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} \times \frac{r^r + 3}{5^r + 1} = \frac{5(r^r + 3)}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3}

But \displaystyle \frac{5(r^r + 3)}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} < 5 \frac{r^r}{(r+1)^{r+1}} = 5\left(\frac{r}{r+1}\right)^r \times \frac{1}{r+1} = \cdots

then take the limit to show it goes to 0.
KH_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)

\displaystyle \frac{5^{r+1} + 1}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} \times \frac{r^r + 3}{5^r + 1} < \frac{5^{r+1} + 5}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} \times \frac{r^r + 3}{5^r + 1} = \frac{5(r^r + 3)}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3}

But \displaystyle \frac{5(r^r + 3)}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} < 5 \frac{r^r}{(r+1)^{r+1}} = 5\left(\frac{r}{r+1}\right)^r \times \frac{1}{r+1} = \cdots

thank you ! I wasn't thinking about using inequality ,it's quite helpful
KH_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)

wait there's an error i think
shouldn't it be

[tex]\displaystyle \frac{5(r^r + 3)}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} > 5 \frac{r^r}{(r+1)^{r+1}}
and then the whole thing goes weird :/
MadChickenMan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KH_)
wait there's an error i think
shouldn't it be

[tex]\displaystyle \frac{5(r^r + 3)}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} > 5 \frac{r^r}{(r+1)^{r+1}}
and then the whole thing goes weird :/
You're right. If you replace the constant with 20 say, instead of 5, that should work though.
KH_
Rep:
?
Sorry , I don't quite understand , can you explain in detail ? The 5 thing is given by the question ?
MadChickenMan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KH_)
Sorry , I don't quite understand , can you explain in detail ? The 5 thing is given by the question ?
I just mean that

\displaystyle \frac{5(r^{r}+3)}{(r+1)^{r+1}+3}<20\frac{r^{r}}{(r+1)^{r+1}}

In fact, for any constant greater than 5 the inequality will hold for r large enough. To hold for all r, the constant needs to be around 11.43, but of course any finite constant is sufficient to prove convergence.
KH_
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadChickenMan)
I just mean that

\displaystyle \frac{5(r^{r}+3)}{(r+1)^{r+1}+3}<20\frac{r^{r}}{(r+1)^{r+1}}

In fact, for any constant greater than 5 the inequality will hold for r large enough. To hold for all r, the constant needs to be around 11.43, but of course any finite constant is sufficient to prove convergence.
Thanks for the explanation . But how do you get 11.43 ? I will have the diagnostic test in the fresher week ( which is inhumanite I know lol ) and I merely remember any Alevel maths and the more I revise the more worried I am
MadChickenMan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KH_)
Thanks for the explanation . But how do you get 11.43 ? I will have the diagnostic test in the fresher week ( which is inhumanite I know lol ) and I merely remember any Alevel maths and the more I revise the more worried I am
If you rearrange the inequality you end with a function like this

\displaystyle \frac{1+\frac{3}{x^x}}{1+\frac{3}{(x+1)^{x+1}}}

which I graphed and observed that the maximum value was around 2.286 (5x2.286=11.43, hence why this is the required constant). You'd probably have a hard time differentiating the function and finding a zero.

What university is that at? Testing whether a series converges using things like the ratio test isn't usually taught until sometime in the first year, so surely that wouldn't come up on a diagnostic test?
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KH_)
thank you ! I wasn't thinking about using inequality ,it's quite helpful
You're right, would be better to do something like this:

\displaystyle \frac{5(r^r + 3)}{(r+1)^{r+1} + 3} = \frac{5(1 + \frac{3}{r^r}}{\left(\frac{r+1}{r} \right)^r (r+1) + \frac{3}{r^r}} \to \frac{5(1 + 0)}{e(r+1) + 0}

so the denominator grows and the entire thing shoots to 0.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.46%

Watched Threads