Turn on thread page Beta

in answer to another post but the oppotunity of creating my *own* thread was far too exciting an oppotunity to pass up

theres about 60,000ish students in all from notts, trent and the random colleges in the local area. add to that students from derby and lufbura coming into town as they have nowhere else to go plus the nottingham locals *shudder* all makes it a pretty young and fun town.

this is my attempt at vague catagorisation of the main clubs around, bearing in mind i havent explored lenton or radford etc as that is a "second year" thing and my friends are lame and only like cheesy clubs

clubs

the works - you will attend at least four monday night works nights in your first year, whether you like it or not, generally plays a decent mix of music with the obligatory 'rock'-nirvana,darkness,blur and dodgy trance avec lasar show at about 1.30 to drive everyone out -pretty fun generally

media - rnb/mainstream hip hop mix, nice inside but not enough cheese imo, drinks a little expensive

mode - only went once in freshers and got promtly chucked out for letting people in the fire exit, is lush inside but can be expensive. rnb/dance music(apols for crap descriptions)

ocean - ahhhhh the *best* club in nottingham, student night is tuesday but the groovy people such as myself head for 80s ocean on a thursday, far more of a laugh than it sounds bellive me, inside it pretty much is a scum hole but a decent amount of bars makes tuesdays a good night too, generally plays cheese

isis - outside nottigham near main campus/the showcase cinema, if you get a taxi there then ask for a receipt and you can get drinks worth that amount at the bar, ace. again only been once but wednesdays is isis night for the sportier individuals, massive place and cheap as far as i can remember. mainstream/rnb

the bomb - too cool for me but plays drum and bass/hip hop etc, apparently the ceiling sweats but this is 'a good thing', pretty cool place

jumpin jaks - i'm sure i should feel ashamed for putting this in here, if you have a jaks near you then you will know how terrible they are, in my experience of jaks (3 different ones! the horror!) the nottingham jumpin jaks is by far the most pleasant and is actually a great night out provided you are drunk enough, DO NOT GO THERE SOBER! serious mental damage will ensue. wednesdays are a laugh and it plays uber cheese, think the fresh prince of bel air, postman pat, saved by the bell, the hocky coky etc have all been heard. mainstream/cheese

rescue rooms - redeeming myself slightly, the rescue rooms is the heart of nottinghams indie scene and has some great bands playing, saturdays are ace but be warned that people may look at you strangely if you arent wearing the obligatory converse drinks too expensive really but they have lovely pizza. indie

rock city - just up the road from the rescue rooms, does what it says on the tin, it rocks, thursday is student night but saturdays are far better imo, drinks generally cheap and with three different rooms you should find something you like, too many young kiddies can be a pain and the efforts to swap over to cheese at 1.30 on student night can be annoying, the mens toilets are horrendous or so i have been told. rock/indie/cheese

the cookie club - tries too hard to be as indie as the rr but fails dismally, ignore that and try it on a wednesday and its a lot of fun, they will ply you with badges and lollies at freshers so make sure you grab a membership card, rock/pop/indie

obsessions - mondays are notinghams best punk/ska night and generally are a laugh, its a pretty small place but the atmosphere is good and the drinks are cheap so whos complaining? also has the monthly su indie night which i havent checked out yet but have been told is good. punk/rock/indie

the palais/the zone - first night of freshers *shudder*, huge place with not a lot of bars, not a fan though the huge mirrorball is cool, downstairs is the zone which is where any friday night in town should end, huge queues and insanely hot, rnb/mainstream

NG1 - nottinghams gay club, only been on friday nights but the monthly poptastic is fab - rock upstairs and cheese down, my dream, lots of skanky men in unpleasant jeans and occasional skinhead lesbians but past that its a nice club and again has a good atmosphere, drinks *very* expensive later on, mainstream

other clubs
    -stealth - just opened but seems to be a big mixture of hip hop/indie etc, hosts the nme night on a thursdays, shall have to check it out
    -ohm - think its drum and bass but not sure
    -faces - hockley therefore expensive, rnb/mainstream
    -spiders -hah spiders is cool if you like beards and leather, a proper metal place but cheap drinks and decent playlists
    -junktion 7-poss not a club but hosts bandnights and have a small dance floor upstairs-rock/indie etc al

i'm sure i've missed some but there we go, nottingham city centre clubs, i'm actually very impressed with the variety whilst typing this, will have to explore some more next term

and if anyone bothered to read all of that well then clearly you are as bored as me

i think the bars can wait....

ReputationRep:
    nice, thanks even if the descriptions were a little vague, haha. lol @ 'rnb/dance music'

haha

do you know of any predominant hiphop clubs around nottingham??

im sure there are some, but just wondering if you knew of any

ReputationRep:
    also the Irish... great place <cough cough> Medic hangout (only reason I can think of why anyone ever chooses to go - including me!!!)

ReputationRep:
    How easy is it to get back to campus after a night out? It's not going to be like Manchester where I have to pay stupid amounts for a taxi is it?

ReputationRep:
    Taxi fares obviously vary, but £7-8 max should get you back to campus.

(Original post by Streetwize)
    nice, thanks even if the descriptions were a little vague, haha. lol @ 'rnb/dance music'

haha

do you know of any predominant hiphop clubs around nottingham??

im sure there are some, but just wondering if you knew of any
    hah sorry mate, the bomb is probably the best bet but i realised i missed out the edge as well, nottingham is known to be a drum n bass/hip hop area although i've seen little evidence of it there's gonna be pretty much something on every night for you to go to. oh and theres somewhere in radford, god i cant remember its name but saturday nights are meant to be awesome.

...hah you'll find em all when you get here, i wont even bother trying to list the best bars, the numbers are stupid, but remember city bar triples for £1.80, oh yes!

(Original post by joyabbott)
    also the Irish... great place <cough cough> Medic hangout (only reason I can think of why anyone ever chooses to go - including me!!!)
    i thought the happy return and the quilted llama is where you guys hang *ahem* only place you are welcome *ahem*

am living with two medics next year, its gonna be hell!

ReputationRep:
    lol

yeah, the Happy

Used to be the White Hart until we were banned.

Quilted Llama, although think we'll be 'moving' as they're not continuing the drinks deals - Don't think they fully thought through the effects of 50% off all drinks for over 1000 medics (plus their friends for whom they bought the drinks). Snug is doing some good deals now though.

The Irish is very much a Drs hangout - not sure why as it's a dump, but hey, you never know when you might find yourself a nice doctor

Living with medics will be great!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.