Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I am a mother of a Year 10 student, new to British System. I am writing under this nickname as I do not have one. I need some help if you have time to read my post.

So, my child is in Year 10, studying GCSEs. He was put by his school in set 2 and set 3 out of 6 for Maths, English, Science because there is no room in set 1 where he should be, as he is an excellent student.

My question is how this will affect his performances, what tier he will take for exams (foundation or higher), any other disadvantage that might result from here. How these sets work?
    Sorry for my lack of understanding of the system, hope you can help me.

Thank you all.

ReputationRep:
    Being in a lower set doesn't mean lower grades. Generally, sets close to each other are doing practically the same work, and if I was dropped a set for each subject I don't think it would have changed my grades, as long as I still put the effort in

Also which tier he takes depends on himself and not the set, if he is good enough then he will be taking higher

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Every school sets their class sets up differently so there is no standard top, middle, bottom sets therefore it makes it difficult to answer seeing as your child's school has their own procedure with regards to foundation/higher.
    I do know that, no school can force a child to do the foundation paper if you and the child believe they can at least pass a higher paper. It is worth noting that most papers for higher now go A*ABCDU so unless if you are absolutely sure your child can get a D, do not force them to do it. Otherwise with foundation they can achieve CDEFGU.
    The only thing that I would be concerned about is the content covered, if they are in a lower set some schools will not teach them B/A/A* content i if everyone in the class if predicted a C.
    If you think your child can do it, leave them in the set allocated by the school and ensure at home they are using mathswatch, mymaths and frequently completing higher past papers. Then at mocks if they do really well, your child will almost certainly move up a set allowing higher content to be covered.
    If not, there is nothing to be worried about as they can still achieve a C.

Hope this has helped and not made you more confused.
    Any questions, let me know.
    All the best,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanshelley97)
    Being in a lower set doesn't mean lower grades. Generally, sets close to each other are doing practically the same work, and if I was dropped a set for each subject I don't think it would have changed my grades, as long as I still put the effort in

Also which tier he takes depends on himself and not the set, if he is good enough then he will be taking higher
    Thank you so much.
    He is a very good student. So he can take higher tier exams even if he is in a lower set, right? I have read somewhere that if he is in a low set he can sit for foundation tier only. These sets might be changed during the school year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_queen)
    Hi all!

I am a mother of a Year 10 student, new to British System. I am writing under this nickname as I do not have one. I need some help if you have time to read my post.

So, my child is in Year 10, studying GCSEs. He was put by his school in set 2 and set 3 out of 6 for Maths, English, Science because there is no room in set 1 where he should be, as he is an excellent student.

My question is how this will affect his performances, what tier he will take for exams (foundation or higher), any other disadvantage that might result from here. How these sets work?

Thank you all.
    Being in lower sets does affect grades in a negative way. I was in "Support Set" for Maths, English Literature and English Language but I attained AAB respectively, higher than some people in the sets above!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Hi,
    Every school sets their class sets up differently so there is no standard top, middle, bottom sets therefore it makes it difficult to answer seeing as your child's school has their own procedure with regards to foundation/higher.
    I do know that, no school can force a child to do the foundation paper if you and the child believe they can at least pass a higher paper. It is worth noting that most papers for higher now go A*ABCDU so unless if you are absolutely sure your child can get a D, do not force them to do it. Otherwise with foundation they can achieve CDEFGU.
    The only thing that I would be concerned about is the content covered, if they are in a lower set some schools will not teach them B/A/A* content i if everyone in the class if predicted a C.
    If you think your child can do it, leave them in the set allocated by the school and ensure at home they are using mathswatch, mymaths and frequently completing higher past papers. Then at mocks if they do really well, your child will almost certainly move up a set allowing higher content to be covered.
    If not, there is nothing to be worried about as they can still achieve a C.

Hope this has helped and not made you more confused.
    Any questions, let me know.
    All the best,
    Lee
    The text I put in bold does not sound very encouraging. I have to ask the school about this. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    The text I put in bold does not sound very encouraging. I have to ask the school about this. Thank you!
    Check with the school on exam entry policy and how the students can move up a set.

It really is down to the school how the teaching content varies between sets.

ReputationRep:
    Not every school does this but I know for example my school did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Not every school does this but I know for example my school did.
    good to know! I will check. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

Thank you all.
    Don't worry- he will still be put in the right tier because they decide that according to how an individual works not the whole class, however, as the speed is likely to be slower, make sure he has a tutor to get through everything quickly so he isn't at a disadvantage

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.