Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there! I have an offer to study M.Sc international accounting and finance (with placement) at London SouthBank University next year. Going to London is quite interesting for me as i will like to settle there atfer my M.Sc course.Hence ,I want to make sure that i study at the best /good University that can at least guarantee job connection after the programme. On the contrary , I had just got an information about the bad reputations of LSBU, its not funny at all am afraid!. My questions are:

Does LSBU really have bad reputations, If yes what are they?

Have anyone been to LSBU or heard any positive stories about LSBU?

Do they specialize in accounting and finance course very well or should i chose another?

What are the prospect of getting a good job placement in London with msc international accounting and finance immediately after graduation ?
    Your advice please!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying in accounting as well. Though I've never heard that LSBU has had a "bad" reputation it's not a top tier university. It's pretty much in the middle of the pack. Saying that their Accounting/Finance/Business courses are probably the best ones they offer and are among the better ones in the country. Not sure about the job prospects after graduation, but you might be able to do placements after the second year for valuable experience witch will allow you to get good work waaaay easier in the future. Other than that you should look into their JobShop. I hope this helps, good luck with your course.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly not well thought of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kotton)
    It's pretty much in the middle of the pack.
    Have you seen the rankings?

Saying that their Accounting/Finance/Business course [...] are among the better ones in the country.

... is very, very incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    I'll summarise LSBU and the types of student for you

Yes their entry standards do mean that a percentage of students still use velcro shoes, these can be observed in the student bar or huddled around building entrances having a chat at quarter past 10, indicating that they're either 15 or an hour and 15 minutes late to a lecture, although, these have seen a steady decline in recent years in favour of the statement student, the lefty liberal who's idea of rebellion is going against their parents dream of attending an oxbridge graduation, these can also be found outside building entrances at a far more conservative time of quarter to 9. (probably an hour and 15 minutes early tbh lol, and tend to do really quite well academically)

Then we have a majority like most universities of the standard model of a modern student who's vocabulary seems to be limited to "do you have the mark scheme?" and is always very keen to discuss said mark scheme with academics,..... these can later also be found in the offices of academics demanding a thorough explanation for their low mark.

Finally we have the troubled genius, a minority, these randomly appear in lectures often still drunk without as much as a pen but has some serious intellect going on, there's like a secret society of these types, who instead of doing any relevant work sit around getting high discussing philosophy or spend their nights getting barred from pubs and kicked out of halls but are on another level, no idea where they even come from or how they've ended up at LSBU but these will always seem to consider things most haven't even thought of, it's just a fact of life i've come to accept, although... i should write a book about some of these characters lol. For example, I walk into the library and find a chap alone in one of the glass group study booths laying across the sofa with his feet up on the armrests wearing a blue shirt, football shorts and desert boots with a stack of books and bottle of wine cracked open on the table at about mid day, middle of winter..... Genius

I guess i fit into the lefties, although did vote conservative..

The reputation comes from the halfwits that end up enrolling (god only knows why) failing first year, dropping out and blaming the University

Second year Psychology student, just love Jung..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BarthesRoland)
    I'll summarise LSBU and the types of student for you
    That was hilarious, mate. Never came across the troubled genius though...

Let me make my own attempt at summarizing LSBU student types:

(1) The Local - 50% of the student body
    Usually black, from South London, no history of higher education in the family, can't believe a bank will lend her/him money to go to uni, wants to save money by living at home so LSBU is the natural choice. Parties and the Student Union bar are her/his life, always in the company of friends, rather loud. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, struggles to graduate with a second-upper. In any case, pretty disillusioned about what university is. And always late to class.

(2) The Oriental - 25% of the student body
    Usually Desi, speaks modest English, wants to get a decent, European education to return to his home country with a valuable degree. Has no idea about LSBU's rankings, or why it's worse or better than other poorly ranked universities, she/he is just happy to have gotten in, to have a visa, and to get to live in London. Often times it's the first time she/he is abroad and naturally gravitates towards fellow countrymen. Struggles in class but makes an effort and usually makes it through.

(3) The European - 15% of the student body
    Did ok at European A-Levels equivalent, wants to get out and live in a cool city without breaking the bank, and found LSBU to be the lesser of evils in the presence of London Met, UEL, and the likes. Open to staying in the UK after graduating. Usually from eastern or southern Europe, often Greek (understandable, given their outlook). Makes an effort when she/he feels like it (and isn't hung over from partying all night), but rarely pushes the academic envelope.

(4) The Pragmatic - 10% of the student body
    Did well at A-Levels or European/American equivalent, researched league tables for his area of study and LSBU courses in depth, spoke to faculty and past and present students, flew in for an open day, often takes advantage of LSBU's rather cheap postgrad courses (at least it used to be that way), recognises LSBU for its top location and one of the best student halls in the city (McLaren), a stone's throw from Waterloo and Covent Garden. Tries hard and usually graduates top of the class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)

Usually black, from South London, no history of higher education in the family, can't believe a bank will lend her/him money to go to uni, wants to save money by living at home so LSBU is the natural choice. Parties and the Student Union bar are her/his life, always in the company of friends, rather loud. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, struggles to graduate with a second-upper. In any case, pretty disillusioned about what university is. And always late to class.

Usually Desi, speaks modest English, wants to get a decent, European education to return to his home country with a valuable degree. Has no idea about LSBU's rankings, or why it's worse or better than other poorly ranked universities, she/he is just happy to have gotten in, to have a visa, and to get to live in London. Often times it's the first time she/he is abroad and naturally gravitates towards fellow countrymen. Struggles in class but makes an effort and usually makes it through.

Did ok at European A-Levels equivalent, wants to get out and live in a cool city without breaking the bank, and found LSBU to be the lesser of evils in the presence of London Met, UEL, and the likes. Open to staying in the UK after graduating. Usually from eastern or southern Europe, often Greek (understandable, given their outlook). Makes an effort when she/he feels like it (and isn't hung over from partying all night), but rarely pushes the academic envelope.

Did well at A-Levels or European/American equivalent, researched league tables for his area of study and LSBU courses in depth, spoke to faculty and past and present students, flew in for an open day, often takes advantage of LSBU's rather cheap postgrad courses (at least it used to be that way), recognises LSBU for its top location and one of the best student halls in the city (McLaren), a stone's throw from Waterloo and Covent Garden. Tries hard and usually graduates top of the class.
    For the most part i agree, although think what you're more accurately describing is the current state of British academia, Universities are overrun with Both Oriental and European students.

It does sound as if you're not particularly fond of the Orient though, you must not be familiar with Yukaku and Tayuu culture? Since becoming a student i've developed a real appreciation for Oriental, in particular Japanese culture and find it encouraging that the university is also embracing it, i hope to be an active member of any society or events next year.

(Also i should note that Oriental students often live in halls and having a 25kg bag of rice permanently based in the communal cupboard under the sink is very convenient, however like your "Local" student i too was somewhat disillusioned with University as living with Chinese girls in halls was not what i imagined, however still a very cultural experience)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GenialGermanGent)

You're a disgusting, racist ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinahiwo)
    You're a disgusting, racist ****
    Those were my factual observations, slightly generalised. I am not saying all Orientals or Black kids are like that, but sure enough many at LSBU were like that. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Those were my factual observations, slightly generalised. I am not saying all Orientals or Black kids are like that, but sure enough many at LSBU were like that. Deal with it.
    Don't tell me what to do. Yes, in those circumstances there may be students that conform to some stereotypes but your colonial, derogatory thinking is what lingers in the depths of the lowest IQ. Who are you to decide what race is more acceptable for a university? You need to take a long, hard look at the mirror and remind yourself that you are a nobody. And one that one wouldn't listen to.

ReputationRep:

Complete stupidness and ignorance on your part

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell me what to do.
    That's exactly what I am doing. People who make nonsensical comments get told what to do.

Yes, in those circumstances there may be students that conform to some stereotypes but your colonial, derogatory thinking is what lingers in the depths of the lowest IQ.
    What circumstances? The environment of a lowly ranked university?

Colonial, derogatory thinking? Again, these are just factual observations, and I am not saying all Black or Oriental folks are like that. But the ones I saw, met, and/or studied with at LSBU were.

Who are you to decide what race is more acceptable for a university?
    I am not. Where are you getting that nonsense from?

You need to take a long, hard look at the mirror and remind yourself that you are a nobody. And one that one wouldn't listen to.
    A nobody who graduated top of his class with a distinction, won an academic award, and went on to be one of the faculty's most successful graduates of the decade, making six figures and having lived on three continents. So yeah, people do listen to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Uniqueness)
    Complete stupidness and ignorance on your part
    Ignorance - lack of knowledge or information

How does this term relate to my post, a tongue-in-cheek, provocative description of the reality that I observed? As said before, this is not racial stereotyping, this is a generalized, slightly cynical view of the LSBU micro-cosmos.

ReputationRep:
    Some of these comments are actually beyond me. Not everybody attends london southbank because they are lazy or do not hold the necessary qualifications to attend one of a higher ''rank''. I myself attend LSBU and in no way fit into your innacurate, shallow, and ignorant perception of the students at LSBU. Most of the posters here are nothing but narrow minded people, flaunting their lowest level of thinking capacity quite explicitly and shameslessly. Yes, the students may not be like the ones at Cambridge, but this by no means is to suggest that they are 'disillusioned about what university is. And always late to class.'

I achieved 5A*s and 5As, soaring with 4 Alevels at Grades- A*,A,A,B and with the grades I achieved, I had the opportunity to attend the top 7 universities across the UK effortlessly. However, I still chose to attend LSBU. Evidently, most of the ignorant posters on this thread are just too ignorant to fathom the idea that there is much more to life than just ranks and the false belief that, the instituion you attend provides you with the automatic pass of approval to construct a seemingly abnoxious persona as an attempt to distance yourselves from the students at LSBU who ''Part[y] and the Student Union bar are her/his life, always in the company of friends, rather loud''. Futile...

To the end comes the day, and many of these so called top university attendees obtain nothing more than a distorted perception of reality, and may well find themselves flipping burgers at burger kings, dropping out of university early, because they are too stressed out or think that they have the right to do as they please, reinforcing their early constructed belief that the world revolves around them or that everyone else owes them something (of course they know no different, so I myself don't blame them).

let me enlighten you with some experience:

It is NOT so much where you go, or what you do; if you have the drive and motivation, the consistency and the determinantion, to get up and do something with your life, you will most definitely get yourself to where you deserve to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralEssence)
    Not everybody attends london southbank because they are lazy or do not hold the necessary qualifications to attend one of a higher ''rank''.
    I achieved 5A*s and 5As, soaring with 4 Alevels at Grades- A*,A,A,B and with the grades I achieved, I had the opportunity to attend the top 7 universities across the UK effortlessly. However, I still chose to attend LSBU.
    Good for you - same here! I decided to do my Masters at LSBU after very successful undergrad studies in Europe and the US and a career start in management consulting, arguably one of the most intellectually demanding industries, I had offers from RG schools but decided on LSBU based on value and structure of the course.
    Thing is, people like us are a small, small minority at LSBU. Most LSBU students can choose between LondonMet, UEL, and LSBU - at best.

I myself attend LSBU and in no way fit into your innacurate, shallow, and ignorant perception of the students at LSBU.
    Again, my post was clearly a tongue-in-cheek and generalising caricature of the LSBU student body. There is no way to capture every single type of student at LSBU even if I tried.

Evidently, most of the ignorant posters on this thread are just too ignorant to fathom the idea that there is much more to life than just ranks and the false belief that, the instituion you attend provides you with the automatic pass of approval to construct a seemingly abnoxious persona as an attempt to distance yourselves from the students at LSBU who ''Part[y] and the Student Union bar are her/his life, always in the company of friends, rather loud''. Futile...

To the end comes the day, and many of these so called top university attendees obtain nothing more than a distorted perception of reality, and may well find themselves flipping burgers at burger kings, dropping out of university early, because they are too stressed out or think that they have the right to do as they please, reinforcing their early constructed belief that the world revolves around them or that everyone else owes them something (of course they know no different, so I myself don't blame them).

let me enlighten you with some experience:

It is NOT so much where you go, or what you do; if you have the drive and motivation, the consistency and the determinantion, to get up and do something with your life, you will most definitely get yourself to where you deserve to be.
    Do you honestly believe I would've gone to LSBU (with RG school offers on the table) if I religiously believed in league table rankings? Quite the opposite - and my career is proving myself right. Again, this doesn't contradict the observation that most students at LSBU are not very bright and not very hard-working.

ReputationRep:

A nobody who graduated top of his class with a distinction, won an academic award, and went on to be one of the faculty's most successful graduates of the decade, making six figures and having lived on three continents. So yeah, people do listen to me.
    One would have thought that, with so many years of life experience and all of these awards, you would have the very least obtained some dignity and some common respect for others. I find it rather strange, and on your part, embarrassing, that myself at the age of 19, still have to come here on TSR and lecture 'the most successful graduates making six-figure' sums... If you don't mind me putting that forward.

But, my discussion with you ends here, have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    One would have thought that, with so many years of life experience and all of these awards, you would have the very least obtained some dignity and some common respect for others.
    Calling out reality (which may or may not include stupid, lazy people) is undignified? You think I got as far as I did by sugarcoating things?

I find it rather strange, and on your part, embarrassing, that myself at the age of 19, still have to come here on TSR and lecture 'the most successful graduates making six-figure' sums... If you don't mind me putting that forward.

Only that you didn't lecture anyone. You *****ed and moaned about political correctness, making countless false assumptions and blatant errors in reasoning. It really shows you're 19 - and maybe you do fit into one of those student groups after all.

But, my discussion with you ends here, have a nice day.
    To be expected, since you couldn't make a single point after I took your incredibly flawed argument apart in my last post.

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance - lack of knowledge or information

How does this term relate to my post, a tongue-in-cheek, provocative description of the reality that I observed? As said before, this is not racial stereotyping, this is a generalized, slightly cynical view of the LSBU micro-cosmos.
    I know LSBU rejected you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.