Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming up to 27 years old and have never really known what I wanted to do with my life, at the moment I'm working at an engineering consultancy as a secretary having done some A levels (Business Studies, History and economics - BBC) and a law degree (2:2).

I've decided I need to have a career change and something that has always been in the back of my mind is working with animals. I've never pursued it because of my mum constantly telling me there were no jobs in working with animals/not good pay but having gone through years of being quite lost I've decided to finally go with it.

The only issue is I don't have any science background other than a BB at GCSE and I'd ideally like to work at the same time and the start of the term for most colleges/universities has just gone.

I guess my question is - what routes can I use to study Veterinary Science/Medicine?
    I've seen a course at Bristol University that is a gateway to veterinary science but the entry requirements are a little confusing to me - is it for people who didn't do science at all?

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    Contact some of the Universities and ask for their advice.

Possibly an access course or A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassini)
    I'm coming up to 27 years old and have never really known what I wanted to do with my life, at the moment I'm working at an engineering consultancy as a secretary having done some A levels (Business Studies, History and economics - BBC) and a law degree (2:2).

I've decided I need to have a career change and something that has always been in the back of my mind is working with animals. I've never pursued it because of my mum constantly telling me there were no jobs in working with animals/not good pay but having gone through years of being quite lost I've decided to finally go with it.

The only issue is I don't have any science background other than a BB at GCSE and I'd ideally like to work at the same time and the start of the term for most colleges/universities has just gone.

I guess my question is - what routes can I use to study Veterinary Science/Medicine?
    I've seen a course at Bristol University that is a gateway to veterinary science but the entry requirements are a little confusing to me - is it for people who didn't do science at all?

Thanks for any help.
    For the Bristol gateway course you need to have BBC at A level, which includes Chem, bio, physics or maths. Because you didn't take those A levels you would be required to do them to be eligible. Unfortunately I think most of the gateway courses require you to have chemistry as an A level, therefore you would be expected to sit those exams and get the required grades

None of the universities will accept applicants who have got any less than a 2:1 in a degree unfortunately, I would ring up admissions and speak with them about it personally as you may be considered however if you have the right A levels.

I think your best bet would be to do biology and chemistry A levels and apply from there

You do also need to bear in mind if you are doing a second degree there is NO funding whatsoever for tuition fees, which means you have to pay a minimum of £9000 a year for at least 4 years for the veterinary medicine degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't know when you completed your degree but you may be eligible for the year 0 course at Liverpool

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation to you 3 years ago. I've just been accepted to Surrey for Vet, will be 27 when I start. It's taken me 3 years. Happy to chat to you about it if you pm me. It's hard when your a mature student and in limbo land when it comes to no science background.
    Ive worked my arse off for it. I wouldn't loose hope 😊

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.