The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Agamemnon
The requirements are just BBC.

Really? My best friend who does Religious Studies at Lancaster was offered BBB, although they let her in with AAC. From what I've heard, they tend to be pretty lenient with grades though.
Reply 22
kellywood_5
Really? My best friend who does Religious Studies at Lancaster was offered BBB, although they let her in with AAC. From what I've heard, they tend to be pretty lenient with grades though.

Yeah, I don't think it's a very popular subject. Some subjects which are not very popular have low entry requirements even at some of the best universities, Sociology would be another example.

Mind you, I would much sooner admit someone with AAC than BBB to a course. They have shown excellent ability in two A level subjects, and should not be penalised for the C, which may just be due to bad luck on the day.
Reply 23
My friend takes Theology and Religious Studies at Univ of Bristol. I know it's not just Religious Studies like you were looking for but she seems to have covered a wide range of religions in first year and is concentrating on Buddhism in her second year with only one module on Christianity.

It's probably best to just check all theology/R.S courses, you might find that they modules available to you are fairly flexible. I'd have thought that R.S is one of those subjects were the course can have the same name at several universities but completely different structures/topics/objectives.
Agamemnon
Yeah, I don't think it's a very popular subject. Some subjects which are not very popular have low entry requirements even at some of the best universities, Sociology would be another example.

Mind you, I would much sooner admit someone with AAC than BBB to a course. They have shown excellent ability in two A level subjects, and should not be penalised for the C, which may just be due to bad luck on the day.

And another example would be languages. God bless unpopular subjects :p:

True, and in her case, the As were in religious studies and sociology and the C was in art, so with As in 2 relevant academic subjects and a C in a completely irrelevant practical one, it would have been stupid not to take her.
Reply 25
kellywood_5
And another example would be languages. God bless unpopular subjects :p:

Yes, you're very lucky.

The other side of the coin is when you choose to apply to a fiercely popular course, such as Law. Despite having very good grades, say for example, 300 points, or BBB, you find yourself only able to apply to former polytechnics, or universities of that level, which does make it difficult to secure a job in the field.
Agamemnon
Yes, you're very lucky.

The other side of the coin is when you choose to apply to a fiercely popular course, such as Law. Despite having very good grades, say for example, 300 points, or BBB, you find yourself only able to apply to former polytechnics, or universities of that level, which does make it difficult to secure a job in the field.

That's when you get the dilemma of doing the course you love at a not so good uni or doing a course you're not as keen on at a top uni, which is a toughie. You'd have to either go to the not so good uni, get a First and do lots of other things like work experience to make you stand out, or do a less competitive subject at a top uni, get at least a 2.1 and then do a law conversion course. Thank God so many people hate languages :p: I had no idea about the relative competitiveness of various courses/unis before TSR, but it's a good thing I didn't want to do English or history or I'd have been screwed!

Latest