The Student Room Group

Doing BTEC after I did badly at AS levels

Hey guys, I want to do computer science when I'm older.
I did AS levels but I did badly in the examinations (UDDE) and I then decided to do a BTEC extended diploma.
So far the the course has been going great for me, as I have acheived D* D* from putting in hours of work. I am targeted to getting D* D* D*. Will my chances of getting into university be affected as I did badly in my AS levels?

Thanks
You'll be able to get in a decent uni providing your GCSE's are good and you get a top distinction. Only issue is the top 20 will want an A Level in maths, but I do believe some Extended Diploma courses have an equivalent.
Reply 2
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
You'll be able to get in a decent uni providing your GCSE's are good and you get a top distinction. Only issue is the top 20 will want an A Level in maths, but I do believe some Extended Diploma courses have an equivalent.

I have 5 A's and 4 B's. Aston university is number 9 in the guardian 2017 Computer Science ranking. Their requirements are DDD. I am projected to get D*D*D*
Original post by Spratty
I have 5 A's and 4 B's. Aston university is number 9 in the guardian 2017 Computer Science ranking. Their requirements are DDD. I am projected to get D*D*D*

You should be fine then :smile:
Reply 4
You should be fine then :smile:

Hopefully. I guess its just nerves talking :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Spratty
Hopefully. I guess its just nerves talking :biggrin:

Why do you want to go Aston? There are a lot better unis for BTEC applicants.
Reply 6
Aston is number 9 in guardian comp sci ranking 2017
Reply 7
Original post by Spratty
Aston is number 9 in guardian comp sci ranking 2017

You're fooled. Rankings mean nothing.
Reply 8
Absolutely nothing? :eek:
Reply 9
Original post by Spratty
Absolutely nothing? :eek:

Aston isn't a bad uni. It's just that you could go to better ones for your grades and I don't see why not. Unless you live in Aston or have some preference to it.
Original post by Spratty
I did AS levels but I did badly in the examinations (UDDE) and I then decided to do a BTEC extended diploma.
So far the the course has been going great for me, as I have acheived D* D* from putting in hours of work. I am targeted to getting D* D* D*. Will my chances of getting into university be affected as I did badly in my AS levels?

Thanks

JFC ur grades spell DUDE ffs.

Stop wasting oxygen, thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Spratty

Thanks

no , my friend got D*D*D* IN computer science and is going to queen mary to study bsc in computer science.

i bet ur doing btec too, u lot all gas eachother up lol stay dumb kid

:-)
Original post by YshaHalgoke
i bet ur doing btec too, u lot all gas eachother up lol stay dumb kid

:-)

Did you make a new account just to troll?
Reply 14
Original post by YshaHalgoke
JFC ur grades spell DUDE ffs.

Stop wasting oxygen, thanks in advance :smile:

Saying empty threats over the internet is a waste of oxygen too. My Projected BTEC grades are good enough to get into a fair number of russell group unis you elitist c***

Quick Reply