Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me like you'd be better off at your old school, I went to a pretty bad sixth form and came out with good grades. This was because of really supportive teachers and I actually enjoyed sixth form so didn't mind staying behind to do work as I had friends that would do the same.
    A-levels are pretty stressful anyway so I don't think you'd need the added stress of not liking where you have to go everyday, and maybe you could be one of the excellent performers they get each year?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by helpmeplease11)
    I am writing this at comfort yet when I have nothing on my mind I think about it all the time. I have a very hard choice to make, you may seem to think that I am overreacting but my whole future is suspended due to this issue. I have until Sunday to make my mind up on this. Soon after results day I applied to get into a grammar school 6th form; not really expecting to be accepted. I was told that they had no places left. However the day I enrolled into my current 6th form I received an offer from the grammar school. I was initially excited to go to it but I was left disappointed. The atmosphere was a complete shift in a bad way, I could sense the intensity that there was. It made me really uncomfortable. I only knew 3 other people at the school. The lessons also were not much different to my old school which was what really surprised me. I had a mental breakdown where I was crying every night and depressed during the day. I had a choice; return to my old school which doesn't have the best a level records but does have excellent performers each year. I will also be greeted with a friendly atmosphere and teachers who I have known for a long time. There is nothing to lose but some people told me I will not do as well at A Level. If I stay at the grammar school I will most likely be depressed every day and not full of life. I am willing to put the hard work in but the grammar school has a better track record for A Levels. I am a hard worker and will put the effort into my work but can I gain the same success at my old school. The teaching is not much of an improvement as I had hoped. In fact the grammar school was slightly faster in terms of pace but I learned the same amount at my old school. What do you think I should do. If I stay at the grammar school I will be no doubt depressed and uncomfortable. My old school is so nice to me and supportive. Will my grades differ if I stay at my old school. The teaching is almost identical and I am prepared to do 1 hour for every subject every day (minimum). At the grammar I must do 3 A Levels and an AS. At my old school it is 3 A Levels and also the option to do an AS. Every day this argument is on my mind. I can not enjoy life and in my spare time I struggle to revise as this argument pops up in my head. I want to do well and get into uni. I will put the work in. But will the 6th form change make a difference. Is it better to have a better environment to work in as well as support. Help me please
    From what you've written, it sounds like you'd be best off at your old school. If you feel like you've given the new school a fair chance and you're still miserable there, you're just punishing yourself by staying. You can achieve great things at either school but not everybody works well in the same environment and if the high-pressure of the grammar school isn't doing it for you, it could well be that you'd do better at your old school. And it's not all about grades after all, your welfare is important too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for being so nice, I am willing to put the effort but some people have said that a levels is more about learning it from a teacher. My teachers are not bad in any way its just that I wont be getting lower grades by moving 6th forms

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    I was in your position too at the beginning of year 12 and though I pushed on and remained at the selective school if I could go back to September Year 12 I would have moved back to my old school in a heartbeat. The support of a familiar environment and friends is very important. It seems like you do want to go back to your old school from what you have said as you're trying to justify your decision to move back. Move back if you're unhappy. A levels are mainly about your own work ethic anyway and you seem hardworking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applesandhoney)
    I was in your position too at the beginning of year 12 and though I pushed on and remained at the selective school if I could go back to September Year 12 I would have moved back to my old school in a heartbeat. The support of a familiar environment and friends is very important. It seems like you do want to go back to your old school from what you have said as you're trying to justify your decision to move back. Move back if you're unhappy. A levels are mainly about your own work ethic anyway and you seem hardworking.
    Thank you for the support and because I left the grammar school last week to visit my school, and my tutor at the grammar claimed I felt like a small fish in a big lake and that I wanted to go to my old school to feel clever. This hurt me as it is true that there are a lot of smart people in the grammar, smarter than me but it wasnt the reason I left.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.