Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am asking because my relative is 19 and has been told she has to pay £4000 to continue the second year of her applied science course at her local further education college despite her parents claiming ESA.

She started the first year of the course when she was 18 and apparently does not qualify for any government funding?

How does that make sense? some people end up spend an extra year in their sixth form/ sixth form college making them 19, so why is that different with a further education college.

Although being 19, she is totally dependant on her parents.

I am just seeking advice to this as she is heart broken bout this situation.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Are you sure your relative does not qualify for the 19+ loan? I think they probably do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    I am asking because my relative is 19 and has been told she has to pay £4000 to continue the second year of her applied science course at her local further education college despite her parents claiming ESA.

She started the first year of the course when she was 18 and apparently does not qualify for any government funding?

How does that make sense? some people end up spend an extra year in their sixth form/ sixth form college making them 19, so why is that different with a further education college.

Although being 19, she is totally dependant on her parents.

I am just seeking advice to this as she is heart broken bout this situation.
    Im not even sure, they changed the system a year ago and I dont even understand the system myself. I remember back in the days some people I knew stayed at sixth form till 19-21 ( some people moved from btec level 3 to do a levels).

Ok fine, we should be happy about getting free education and that but i disagree with this flawed system.

my sixth form is also doing this procedure but after the 2 years of being in sixth, you have to pay which is stupid. I have seen some of my neighbours from 2 years ago going to the same sixth form and redoing or resitting a course. its a joke now..... I guess the want to make moneyzzzzzz.

the old grannies/ elder lot got free education in uni, college etc and EMA ( back in sixth form you used to get around £30 per week, but now they scrapped everything at our generation and trying to make money out of all this.

(Original post by Light Venom)
    Im not even sure, they changed the system a year ago and I dont even understand the system myself. I remember back in the days some people I knew stayed at sixth form till 19-21 ( some people moved from btec level 3 to do a levels).

Ok fine, we should be happy about getting free education and that but i disagree with this flawed system.

my sixth form is also doing this procedure but after the 2 years of being in sixth, you have to pay which is stupid. I have seen some of my neighbours from 2 years ago going to the same sixth form and redoing or resitting a course. its a joke now..... I guess the want to make moneyzzzzzz.

the old grannies/ elder lot got free education in uni, college etc and EMA ( back in sixth form you used to get around £30 per week, but now they scrapped everything at our generation and trying to make money out of all this.
    Exactly this, its sooo annoying.

I guess, she will just have to speak to her college advisor about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Exactly this, its sooo annoying.

I guess, she will just have to speak to her college advisor about this.
    I do not think they will do anything, unless they give her a discount on the course. On of my friends wanted to do btec level 3 maths ( 1 year a college only) while taking a gap year and think about his future plans.

teachers and them lot said no, blah blah blah, this and then and started saying ' do you even know you get a free education for 2 years and blah blah'. BRUV, 80% of these TEACHERS got a FREE EDUCATION ( COLLEGE AND UNI) and they dont want to help us students out. I wish the teachers were complaining about this too, but I guess they are getting some form of compensation or money out of this. The other issue could be that if they complain, they could get fired which is debatable.

OK fine, if I was the head of the science department and they got bad grades like PP, then I would say I think this course isnt for you and blah blah. However if the student was talented and got good grades which could range from MM-D*D*, I would allow them to finish the second year for free. But I guess its a money making machine.

(Original post by Light Venom)
    I do not think they will do anything, unless they give her a discount on the course. On of my friends wanted to do btec level 3 maths ( 1 year a college only) while taking a gap year and think about his future plans.

teachers and them lot said no, blah blah blah, this and then and started saying ' do you even know you get a free education for 2 years and blah blah'. BRUV, 80% of these TEACHERS got a FREE EDUCATION ( COLLEGE AND UNI) and they dont want to help us students out. I wish the teachers were complaining about this too, but I guess they are getting some form of compensation or money out of this. The other issue could be that if they complain, they could get fired which is debatable.

OK fine, if I was the head of the science department and they got bad grades like PP, then I would say I think this course isnt for you and blah blah. However if the student was talented and got good grades which could range from MM-D*D*, I would allow them to finish the second year for free. But I guess its a money making machine.

My relative got MM for the first year which is not great considering she did science A-levels before.

However, i know that something must have hit her when she got that grade, so, she is willing to work harder.

I 100% agree with what you are saying but what i don't understand is where that £4000 goes to seeing, there is no improvements in that college whatsoever(we go the same college but are on different courses)

The ofstead rating is a grade 3 which means its inadequate and needs improvement.

I seriously feel for her and other mature students who do end up paying £4000 as what they pay for is not reflected in anything, from the teaching quality to the colleges's resources etc.

Maybe she should speak with the head of science.

Funnily enough, they somewhat get along.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.