Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just entered year 10 and i am set on getting all 9's and 8's (The A*s) in all subjects. I aim to go to Oxbridge unis. With the pressure of harder new GCSE's coming into action, i have set up a revision schedule which includes 5 hours of revision a day. I have worked with this schedule in the past and i have bneen fine, but i haven't used this for a long term result. Is this healthy for me and am i exaggerating the struggles that could come? Mainly concerned about health.
    Thanks for your time,
    Rajan

ReputationRep:
    5 hours a day is a lot, you'll probably get burned out by exam time. I recommend maybe 2 hours a day on top of homework and make sure you understand everything you learn in class. Also, GCSE's are not as difficult as they may seem so don't get stressed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happiness12)
    5 hours a day is a lot, you'll probably get burned out by exam time. I recommend maybe 2 hours a day on top of homework and make sure you understand everything you learn in class. Also, GCSE's are not as difficult as they may seem so don't get stressed out.
    Thanks, appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RajanKh)
    I have just entered year 10 and i am set on getting all 9's and 8's (The A*s) in all subjects. I aim to go to Oxbridge unis. With the pressure of harder new GCSE's coming into action, i have set up a revision schedule which includes 5 hours of revision a day. I have worked with this schedule in the past and i have bneen fine, but i haven't used this for a long term result. Is this healthy for me and am i exaggerating the struggles that could come? Mainly concerned about health.
    Thanks for your time,
    Rajan
    5 hours will burn you out. You're be mentally drained and have very little energy for school, let alone revision. Don't worry to much about the new GCSEs, I'm in the Year above you and we're the transitional year (Maths and English are 9-1, others are A*-G) Tbh, Maths is a bit harder (And I do fairly well at Maths) because there are topics that are being covered now that used to be only done at A Level. English has more texts to study for but other than that, it isn't too different. For Maths, I would look at the specification from the exam board your school has chosen and start to familiarise yourself with every topic on there. Don't worry about mastering them, that's why you have Maths lessons. You are in Year 10: 60 minutes of revision 3-4 times a week is plenty. Trust me, if you are doing so badly in Year 10, your school will make it up in Year 11. Rather than revise all the time, get some extra-curricular things in. Sports, arts, charities, anything. I personally do a lot of academic subjects (French, History, Geography, Triple Science) so I like to do less serious extra-curriculars. I attend my local youth club, where I play table tennis, watch the football and do trampolining. It give me something fun to do and stops me from feeling overwhelmed by school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahree_Ah)
    5 hours will burn you out. You're be mentally drained and have very little energy for school, let alone revision. Don't worry to much about the new GCSEs, I'm in the Year above you and we're the transitional year (Maths and English are 9-1, others are A*-G) Tbh, Maths is a bit harder (And I do fairly well at Maths) because there are topics that are being covered now that used to be only done at A Level. English has more texts to study for but other than that, it isn't too different. For Maths, I would look at the specification from the exam board your school has chosen and start to familiarise yourself with every topic on there. Don't worry about mastering them, that's why you have Maths lessons. You are in Year 10: 60 minutes of revision 3-4 times a week is plenty. Trust me, if you are doing so badly in Year 10, your school will make it up in Year 11. Rather than revise all the time, get some extra-curricular things in. Sports, arts, charities, anything. I personally do a lot of academic subjects (French, History, Geography, Triple Science) so I like to do less serious extra-curriculars. I attend my local youth club, where I play table tennis, watch the football and do trampolining. It give me something fun to do and stops me from feeling overwhelmed by school.
    Thanks mate, this has made me re-think my schedule. I'll make lots of time for extra curricular

ReputationRep:
    TBH mate, I wouldn't even know what you would do with 5 hours a day, it's really unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RajanKh)
    Thanks for your time,
    Rajan
    Hey GCSE's are nowhere near as hard as they seem! I did my exams this year (last year of the old spec) and even though you are doing the new spec, they can only make them so hard. 5 hours from the beginning of yr 10 is way too much, you will burn out and when exam time rolls around you will be extremely stressed, which could adversely affect your performance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.