Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A level physics help!!!! Electric fields Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Could someone please help me with part b of this problem?

Calculate
    a) the force between 2 charges of +1.4nC and +1.6nC on point conductors 40cm apart in air.
    b)What size of charge on a third point conductor placed midway between the first two conductors would result in doubling of the magnitude of the force on the 1.4nC charge?

My answer for the first part was 1.2586x10^-7

Thanks in advance!!!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skipper12345)
    Hi
    Could someone please help me with part b of this problem?

Calculate
    a) the force between 2 charges of +1.4nC and +1.6nC on point conductors 40cm apart in air.
    b)What size of charge on a third point conductor placed midway between the first two conductors would result in doubling of the magnitude of the force on the 1.4nC charge?

My answer for the first part was 1.2586x10^-7

Thanks in advance!!!
    Hi,
    you know the force in part a) is  \vec{F_1} = \frac{-q_1q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_o r^2}\vec{x}
    So you want this force to be doubled when we introduce a charge q3 between q1 and q2

2\vec{F} = -2\frac{q_1q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_o r^2}\vec{x}= -\frac{q_1q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_o r^2}\vec{x}-\frac{q_1q_3}{4\pi\epsilon_o (r/2)^2}\vec{x}

now you can solve this for q_3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.