Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just looking into courses and which universities etc and was wondering if people request prospectus' from the internet?

Whats the quickest you have received one? Got one from Warwick 3 days after asking for one. Does this indicate there university is effeicent and so on?

The vast majority of prospectus' come within a week. But whats the longest it has taken you to receive one? Well im still waiting for them of a few uni's after 2 and half weeks. Is this a sign that they are not effeicent or am i reading too much into it?

What about others?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think that it really reflects the Universities standard, only the staff who post out prospectus's.
    Also you have to remember that if you requested a prospectus on a Friday, they may not get the email till the Monday.

I do think a good prospectus affects how you judge a University though. I think Leeds has a nice prospectus

ReputationRep:
    Just go to one of those events where they hand them out - I picked up about a dozen.

ReputationRep:
    Well I went crazy last year and ordered loads (I think it was 20-odd) prospectuses off the unis' websites. Some took a few days, others a week... I don't think it reflects the uni tbh. I agree with Crystaltears - I practically picked my six choices on what was in the prospectuses and what they were like (okay, probably not the greatest idea, but I didn't go to any open days). I remember one especially (I think it was Surrey's)... it was a personalised one with specific information only relevant to me, which I thought was quite nice and only took a week to reach me. Anyway, I also agree with Dionysus - I went to the UCAS event at Aston Uni and picked up any prospectuses from unis I'd forgotten about. Even though I guess two-and-a-half weeks is a long time to be waiting for a prospectus, I wouldn't read too much into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Just go to one of those events where they hand them out - I picked up about a dozen.
    At the UCAS convention at Sheffield arena, I picked up 41.:cool:
    My chem teacher said it was impossible to get more than 20. How wrong he was.

My mate ordered about 20 off the net and stuff, so yeah you can do it for most unis I should think. I wouldn't use their response time as any sort of measure of their efficiency though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishfinger Sandwich)
    At the UCAS convention at Sheffield arena, I picked up 41.:cool:
    My chem teacher said it was impossible to get more than 20. How wrong he was.
    How on earth did you carry 41 prospectuses around!?! I barely managed with about 15! (And don't say it's because I'm a girl, lol.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx Anneka xxx)
    How on earth did you carry 41 prospectuses around!?! I barely managed with about 15! (And don't say it's because I'm a girl, lol.)
    I had a rucksack full of them, and two carrier bags full. (well, I say two, but each 'bag' actually consisted of about 3 bags in one, for extra strength).
    I heaved them around and kind of hurt myself (my back hurt a little after and my arms were aching). The bus was the worst, we had to walk pretty far to the stop and it was a boiling hot day. Then on the bus, the man that was sat next to me (he had the window seat)wanted to get off, so I had to move all my insanely heavy bags so he got impatient.
    I had to get that many though. I had absolutely no idea what to do, or even what was going on university wise. I could name like 5 unis, I needed all the help I could get. I probably wouldn't have decided to go to uni if it wasn't for that convention.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't I think of a rucksack!?! Yes, doubling (or trebling, in your case) of carrier bags was essentially. I wasn't entirely happy though, because my college's slot was the afternoon of the last day... and by that time most unis had run out of prospectuses and leaflets. And I agree, prospectuses help so much when you have no idea where you want to go... and being able to talk to lots of uni people and ask them any questions was a big bonus too. (And the day off college wasn't bad either...)

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't I think of a rucksack!?! Yes, doubling (or trebling, in your case) of carrier bags was essentially. I wasn't entirely happy though, because my college's slot was the afternoon of the last day... and by that time most unis had run out of prospectuses and leaflets. And I agree, prospectuses help so much when you have no idea where you want to go... and being able to talk to lots of uni people and ask them any questions was a big bonus too. (And the day off college wasn't bad either...)
    I forgot to hand the slip in to let me go on the coach so I had to go on the bus by myself (well, i convinced my mates to ditch the coach and come with me:cool: ). This turned out to be beneficial. My college had a rubbish slot too. By the time they were arriving, I was heaving my bounty away.

ReputationRep:
    You guys had a coach? We had to make our own way there, lol. (Which wasn't a problem for me because I know Birmingham really well, but some people had never been before.) When I got there, I was expecting to get registered and everything, but what happened? The dude (I had no idea who he was, some random teacher) goes 'Well off you go then'... no register, nothing! If I knew that, then I would have bloody gone earlier! So advice to anyone going to the UCAS convention - ignore your teachers and go when you want.

ReputationRep:
    You guys had a coach? We had to make our own way there, lol. (Which wasn't a problem for me because I know Birmingham really well, but some people had never been before.) When I got there, I was expecting to get registered and everything, but what happened? The dude (I had no idea who he was, some random teacher) goes 'Well off you go then'... no register, nothing! If I knew that, then I would have bloody gone earlier! So advice to anyone going to the UCAS convention - ignore your teachers and go when you want.
    Exactly. Worked out great for me. All the other suckers were late. I don't know why we had a coach because I just went to the bus station and bused it into the centre of Sheff, which took about 15 mins. The coach was kick ass too; air con and everything. We were only going into Sheff ffs, we could have walked it if need be. then when we went on a trip to London we got this crappy shed on wheels with no toilet and had to ride it for like 5 hours all the way down there. Whoever organises coach at my college must be a right clown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishfinger Sandwich)
    Exactly. Worked out great for me. All the other suckers were late. I don't know why we had a coach because I just went to the bus station and bused it into the centre of Sheff, which took about 15 mins. The coach was kick ass too; air con and everything. We were only going into Sheff ffs, we could have walked it if need be. then when we went on a trip to London we got this crappy shed on wheels with no toilet and had to ride it for like 5 hours all the way down there. Whoever organises coach at my college must be a right clown.
    :laugh: So true...

EDIT: We are talking about this quite late. All the conventions are gone now, I think.

FURTHER EDIT: But not in Scotland!

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: So true...

EDIT: We are talking about this quite late. All the conventions are gone now, I think.
    Oopsies. Suppose it might be remembered by the odd TSR browser at next year's conventions...

EDIT:Oh yeah!

ReputationRep:
    Check my 'further edit' above.

And I totally blame Dionysus for starting us off!

ReputationRep:

Oh yeah, it was totally his fault. I just couldn't resist the urge to quote him and share the tale of my glorious UCAS convention bounty.

ReputationRep:
    I ordered 40!!!! :eek:. I don't know why I ordered so many. It was like being on an impulsive streak that I was thoroughly enjoying:p:. My mum thought I was insane!!!! Some arrived early within 2 days and some took a while. It depends on the officer handling the prospectus requests actually not the university as a whole.

:tee:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you also have to remember that postal strikes are still on-ish so the mail could be delayed even further. and no how fast a prospectus gets to you does not show how efficient the university is.:rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I love getting prospectuses - it's practically the only time I get mail. :p: The quickest one I ever got was the RSAMD in Glasgow which came the morning after I ordered it. Slowest was Royal Holloway I think; they had post problems or something.

I have a whole cupboard devoted to 'em (I've got all the 2006-7 ones as well as this session's). And they're all arranged in height order, just to make my cupboard even cooler...

ReputationRep:
    Think of all the trees that had to be sacrificed to provide us with all those glossy prospectuses! :eek:

Although, I suppose most will be recycled.

ReputationRep:

But you know you love those conventions! You get crushed like a sardine, pick up a ridiculous amount of prospectuses, get them home and realise that you would never go to 90% of them

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.