Travel discount Watch

Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
This is probably a stupid question, but do University students still get the 40p bus fayres?
Also, what is this about railcards? Do all students get one and what is the fayre?
Thanks in advance
Jsuper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A number of banks offer a Student Railcard when you open a student account, which gets you a third off all train journeys, which is obviously good if you use the train a lot! You can buy them too, but I can't remember how much they are off the top of my head.

I don't think students get reduced fares on buses - well, they don't around here anyway. Depending on how many times you use public transport, it can be worth getting a pass. A pass for bus and metro for a month in Newcastle, for example, is about £30, so if you're spending £3/4/5 a day on transport it can be well worth getting.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Railcard is £20, or free with some bank accounts.
AC_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it depens on where you are planning to study. in london a railcard costs £5.70 per day and i think the discount available is 1/3 off
Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Oh cool thanks everyone.
I don't think i'll be using busses much anyway because evertthing is in walking distance from the halls at sheff uni. The only time I will be using it will be when I go home, which hopefully wont be very often haha! Even then it's only about £2.60 full fayre.

That's good with the bank accounts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed