The Student Room Group

International relations vs law degree

Hi, I'm looking to apply for uni in the next few months with my predicted grades AAA. I'm looking at doing an LLB law course but recently came across the IR degree in a prospectus. I want to do a degree that's transferable to a lot of other jobs and If i did manage to get the grades I'd probably be looking to Exeter for law but with the IR I could apply to Durham.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm really stuck. PS. I think the IR would be much more interesting but. all the threads on It being useless for job finding afterwards are off putting.
Reply 1
IR is basically a politics degree. Main modules are; governance, International political Economy, Security, Foreign Policy, Social Inequality/justice, international development and Human Rights etc. There are some softer/vocational skills such as project management and negotiation. Most IR students don't work in relevant careers. Entry level pay is lower than in law, some organisations (UN) expect people to work unpaid internships and some people get only temporary work as project assistant with NGOs.

With law, you will have a professional qualification as solicitor/barrister. There is more of an established career track of qualification and natural career progress. Interestingly, many professionals in IR have a law background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending