Low 2.1 for placement year. Does it matter too much for competitive unis?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for a physical chemistry PhD at top places like Imperial, etc. I received my results today and I only got 63% overall for my placement year (54% on the thesis!! but that shouldn't be shown on the transcript as it just shows the overall mark for the year). However, the placement year is only worth 10% of the degree classification, and it wasn't related to the branch of chemistry research I want to go into (it was more inorganic/materials).

My physical chemistry grades in first and second year are very good (>75%) which is surely what they will be interested in, not the irrelevant work I did during my placement? Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Generally the admission considers every bit of information you have provided with your application, especially if you're also applying for funding. I'm pretty sure it would be wrong to say that they don't care about some aspects of your application such as marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agrew)
    Generally the admission considers every bit of information you have provided with your application, especially if you're also applying for funding. I'm pretty sure it would be wrong to say that they don't care about some aspects of your application such as marks.
    I never said they wouldn't outright care... my question is more to do with how much emphasis they put on marks. As I'm aware, references, interview performance and motivation count more than academic grades for PhD applications, so my question was, assuming I do well in other aspects (excellent references, interview performance, etc) will my grades prevent me from getting an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecakeisnolie)
    I never said they wouldn't outright care... my question is more to do with how much emphasis they put on marks. As I'm aware, references, interview performance and motivation count more than academic grades for PhD applications, so my question was, assuming I do well in other aspects (excellent references, interview performance, etc) will my grades prevent me from getting an offer
    Can't you see that is impossible to answer? If there is a candidate the same as you in every other way, but with a better placement grade, and there is one space left, they will get it. However, that situation is vanishingly unlikely to occur. And your chances depend not only on the actuality of your 'excellent references, interview performance etc' but the standard of everyone else who applies that year compared with the number of places available.

These are decisions made only by admissions staff and PhD Supervisors, and only in sight of the actuality of the applicants in front of them. There is no speculation that can be usefully made between 'No chance' and 'Some chance' before that point and without that information. You've obviously got 'some chance'.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, does it say on your transcript the area your placement was in? I.e. is it obvious that it's irrelvant to your PhD topic?

I did pretty badly in 2 pure maths modules and the universities I applied to didn't really care as my statistics grades were very high which is my area of interest. On the other hand I was applying to places like Cardiff, Sheffield, Bristol, etc. I purposely avoided the very top tier stats unis like Warwick, Oxbridge, Lancaster, etc. as I wouldn't recieve funding without a 1st.

If you are going to get a first over all, one poor grade won't be an issue (2:1's are usually fine but you may encounter funding issues so look into that at Imperial). However as it was a placement they may question how you'll do in a research environment (I assume you were doing some kind of research).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    It depends, does it say on your transcript the area your placement was in? I.e. is it obvious that it's irrelvant to your PhD topic?

I did pretty badly in 2 pure maths modules and the universities I applied to didn't really care as my statistics grades were very high which is my area of interest. On the other hand I was applying to places like Cardiff, Sheffield, Bristol, etc. I purposely avoided the very top tier stats unis like Warwick, Oxbridge, Lancaster, etc. as I wouldn't recieve funding without a 1st.

If you are going to get a first over all, one poor grade won't be an issue (2:1's are usually fine but you may encounter funding issues so look into that at Imperial). However as it was a placement they may question how you'll do in a research environment (I assume you were doing some kind of research).
    Lancaster? Top tier? You're having a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Lancaster? Top tier? You're having a laugh.
    For statistics it is. I was rejected from their postgraduate research summer school as I wasn't on target for a first. They clearly take only very high calibre statistics students and so I didn't apply for a PhD either (I am unsure if they have 2:1 minimum or not, I just didn't want to waste an application).

The ridiculous snobbery of TSR will never cease to amaze me.

My point was if your subject is highly competitive at that university and you may only get a 2:1 it is possible that you won't be funded and that should be a consideration.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.