• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B1053 – NHS Reform Bill 2016, Nigel Farage MEP MP
    NHS Reform Bill 2016

A
    BILL
    TO

Reform the treatments offered by the NHS

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 Qualifying treatments

(1) Plastic surgery that has not been carried out to correct disfigurement after an injury, to prevent injury, or to correct an abnormal bodily feature.
    (2) Alternative medicine which includes but is not limited to;
    a. Acupuncture
    b. Cupping therapy
    c. Acupressure
    d. Aromatherapy
    e. Ayurvedic medicine
    f. Balneotherapy
    g. Homeopathy
    h. Naturopathy
    i. Reflexology.
    j. Reiki
    k. Biofeedback treatments, and chiropractic are excluded from this list.
    l. The Department of Health shall review the list every five years to add additional treatments where there is no scientific consensus the treatment works.
    (3) Additional cycles of IVF after four cycles have been completed.
    (4) Gender reassignment surgery.
    (5) Hormonal treatment for individuals identifying as transgender.

2 Treatment

(1) All treatments listed in section (1) shall no longer be funded by the NHS.
    (2) Patients receiving a cycle of IVF past the fourth cycle shall have the cycle completed before being refused further cycles of IVF treatment.
    (3) Patients receiving any alternative medical treatments listed in section 1(2) shall have treatment immediately stopped.
    (4) Individuals scheduled for gender reassignment surgery shall have their operations cancelled.
    (5) Individuals receiving hormonal treatment for gender dysphoria shall have their treatment stopped immediately.
    (6) All individuals with a treatment from section 1 scheduled shall have their treatment plan cancelled.

3 Interpretations

(1) In this Act, NHS refers to any public health provider in the United Kingdom.
    (2) In this Act a public health provider is a provider of healthcare funded directly, or indirectly by the government, or any public body.

4 Commencement, short title, and extent

(1) This Act shall come into force after Royal Assent.
    (2) This Act may be cited as the NHS Act 2016.
    (3) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.

Notes
    Each year the NHS spends £25m on acupuncture, over £25m on gender reassignment surgery, and millions more on other treatments. Lots of alternative medical treatments have no scientific basis behind them, have not been proven to work, and cost a lot of money. When the NHS is facing an increase in demand it is sensible to save money when possible to reinvest in service which provide better outcomes. We believe it is a good idea to end costly, non-essential treatment to use the resources to boost other services.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Easy aye.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Nay!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, I believe that the NHS should decide what is warranted and what is not and it shouldn't be politicised.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No, I believe that the NHS should decide what is warranted and what is not and it shouldn't be politicised.
    Good, can we get along and privatise it then to keep the politics out?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Good, can we get along and privatise it then to keep the politics out?
    Umm no? Because only the most insane Tories want a private NHS and health care should be free at the point of service, just run independently.

ReputationRep:
    Reiki and homeopathy I can understand, but HRT?

Remove 1(4), 1(5), 2(4), and 2(5) and I'd say yes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Reiki and homeopathy I can understand, but HRT?

Remove 1(4) and 1(5) and I'd say yes.
    Gender reassignment surgery is individuals choosing to modify their bodies for no medical reason, when their bodies are healthy. If an individual wants to modify their body the individual should pay the costs, the NHS exists to cover medical treatment to save lives, and restore the ability of individuals to live an as normal life as can be lived.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Gender reassignment surgery is individuals choosing to modify their bodies for no medical reason, when their bodies are healthy. If an individual wants to modify their body the individual should pay the costs, the NHS exists to cover medical treatment to save lives, and restore the ability of individuals to live an as normal life as can be lived.
    You do know that it's a last resort...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You do know that it's a last resort...
    It should not be any resort, the NHS could offer counselling, anything else is an expense that is not needed.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It should not be any resort, the NHS could offer counselling, anything else is an expense that is not needed.
    Council and drugs don't always work, the NHS believes that it is worthwhile and helps people then just because you have certain views doesn't mean it is the truth.

ReputationRep:
    By that logic, surely the NHS shouldn't cover STD treatment? It's not like their lives are in danger or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a really, really easy nay. About what I suspected though when I saw the bill title and who had written the bill
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even going to reason with you tbh, Nige. Mental Health is a medical reason, those with gender dysphoria/GID (a mental health condition, which is extremely debilitating and can severely affect quality of life) should have this option available to them. What if their minds aren't 'healthy'? Or doesn't that matter to you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Council and drugs don't always work, the NHS believes that it is worthwhile and helps people then just because you have certain views doesn't mean it is the truth.
    But that is not true, the treatments offered by the NHS are influenced by politics, it is politics that is stopping the NHS from ending support for unscientific treatments where there is no evidence of the treatments working. Treatment for transgender individuals is one debatable area, however, for acupuncture, cupping therapy, and aromatherapy there is research to say the treatments do not work but the NHS still funds those treatments.

(Original post by Mactotaur)
    By that logic, surely the NHS shouldn't cover STD treatment? It's not like their lives are in danger or anything.
    That is absurd, if an STI is not treated infertility, and death can result, those things go against the NHS's aim of restoring the ability of individuals to live an as normal life as possible. Treating an STI is treating a medical condition to prevent the worsening of an individual's health, using unproven, unscientific alternative medicine is an elaborate placebo policy.

(Original post by iEthan)
    I'm not even going to reason with you tbh, Nige. Mental Health is a medical reason, those with gender dysphoria/GID (a mental health condition, which is extremely debilitating and can severely affect quality of life) should have this option available to them. What if their minds aren't 'healthy'? Or doesn't that matter to you?
    We are in agreement, it is a mental health condition which is why counselling should be offered, this bill does not stop counselling, this bill stops surgical treatment, and hormonal treatment for a mental health condition.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We are in agreement, it is a mental health condition which is why counselling should be offered, this bill does not stop counselling, this bill stops surgical treatment, and hormonal treatment for a mental health condition.
    For shame! Cannot agree with this bill unfortunately for you as I feel to stop access to such treatment is fundamentally and morally unacceptable.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay, due to 2(4) and 2(5). I'd be fine with a provision ensuring a person has to have counselling for a certain period of time before hand, but ultimately I agree with the points iEthan has made

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.