Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just started year 10 and I chose dance because I absolutely hate P.E (I hate the people in it, the teachers, I can't do it,ect.). The thing is I can't dance. I'm usually out of time or I can't do the move/s. I see all my friends doing it just fine and one of my friends' just looks at me and laughs when I dance. I can't change options. The thing is, I used to do dance when I was younger for 4-5 years. Do any of you have any tips or advice?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to do one particular style or can you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a moron.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by crybaby28sg)
    I've just started year 10 and I chose dance because I absolutely hate P.E
    ihatePE I've found you a new friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagnumPhoenix)
    Do you have to do one particular style or can you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's usually mixed, we do hip-hop then other times we usually do contemporary mainly. But they put it salsa and other styles aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Y don't u just not turn up?
    Y did u pick dance in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    It's usually mixed, we do hip-hop then other times we usually do contemporary mainly. But they put it salsa and other styles aswell.
    Hmm... I've never done hip hop or salsa 😅. I've done ballet and my speciality is contemporary. The only advice I can give is to practice a lot, at school, and at home. Good thing with contemporary is that you can do ANYTHING as long as you have some bull **** to back it up.
    Trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc_123_)
    Y don't u just not turn up?
    Y did u pick dance in the first place?
    Becos my form tutor is the dance teacher and she would hate me and I chose it becos I hate PE
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    funny.

i hate pe
    i had dance as a subject in year 7, got up and danced and embarrased myself to death (got over it eventually)
    but i didnt give up dance, i post dance covers on youtube now as a hobby :rofl: dont give up dancing, the more you do it the better you'll get (have a full mirror body when u dance to see the mistakes and awkward posture)

ReputationRep:
    Becos my form tutor is the dance teacher and she would hate me and I chose it becos I hate PE
    So did you have to choose either PE or dance?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry it's not a real subject anyway, I'd worry about something more important like maths. Now there's a subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    Don't worry it's not a real subject anyway, I'd worry about something more important like maths. Now there's a subject.
    I see you trollin'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you HAVE to chose between dance and PE?

Either beg to drop it or just try to get on with it. Even if you don't get a good grade it won't matter too much.

ReputationRep:
    i took gcse dance as an option for my gcses at the end of year 8 and regretted it as soon as I got into y9. However I kept going and I am currently in Y11 and enjoying it alot more than I did throughout y9. GCSE Dance does get better as you go through the course. I am not an incredible dancer as I never danced when I was younger but I enjoy doing it and at the end of the day if your passionate about something then especially in a subject like dance, that will show through and will help you to achieve the grades you want as you will work harder for them. Try practicing at home in a big enough space or ask your teacher if you can go back after school and go through the dances with them. Teachers are there to help but aswell if you find yourself really struggling and begin to get embarrased then maybe the best idea is to get a parent or career to call in as usually teachers can't say no to this (what ive found when my mums rang in to school). Whatever you choose just make sure its what you want and not based of other people around you because a the end of the day its your gcse qualification.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started year 10 and I chose dance because I absolutely hate P.E (I hate the people in it, the teachers, I can't do it,ect.). The thing is I can't dance. I'm usually out of time or I can't do the move/s. I see all my friends doing it just fine and one of my friends' just looks at me and laughs when I dance. I can't change options. The thing is, I used to do dance when I was younger for 4-5 years. Do any of you have any tips or advice?
    i know how annoying it is when you get told this but you have got to just keep doing it over and over again. i am also a dancer but for some reasons did not take dance for gcse. now i realise just how much of a mistake it was.

it seems to me that you are quite passionate about it which is a start.i hear this'i can't dance' from loads of people,and tell them that everyone can dance. if you can walk, you are dancing,if you can reach for something up high or find something under the table very low you are dancing. dancers do not have to be slim and fit or have past experience to become a dancer. and the assumptions of big (fat)/disabled people dancing is not funny or ridiculous.

now being a dance freak the things i do to get more into dance is join dance classes outside school.
    try different styles so you find out what is your type/or at least watch more performances,choreographies by people who have done your type of dance.(its how you get addicted)
    research about different styles maybe even through watching dance shows.
    when watching these videos see the good moves and try them. critise them (not literally) on what they are doing wrong.
    listen to music whilst travelling you will automatically start choreographing a dance in your head
    dance when you are angry(aggressive dance),dance when you are sad(maybe contemporary)dance when you are happy (anything jazz tap) this is when you are at home.

keep loving dance!

ReputationRep:
    There were no other options? Was it just P.E or Dance?

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up already, practise makes perfect

ReputationRep:
    Why did you choose it in the first. Place?
    This is why before you pick something, think about if you like it instead of choosing it because other people told you to

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.