Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

This is my first post on the website, so here goes....

I didn't work at GCSEs (3A* 2A 6B), my grandfather (with whom I was very close) died not long before they began and I became very depressed and effectively gave up on work/life altogether (I'm not going to mention this on my form), however I fell in love with both Cambridge and their English Literature course in the summer of 2015 and decided to change that.

I should mention that I attend a state (Academy-status) comprehensive, which very rarely produces any Oxbridge level applicants at all.

Anyway...

I worked really hard and got the best grades in my school in every subject ; Eng Literature-A (94%), Government Politics-A (96%), History-A (90%) and Economics-A (85%); with an average UMS of over 93% (highest in the school) across my three best subjects (the average successful English Applicant at Cambridge has an average of 92%). I am now predicted three A*s at A Level.

I have produced a good personal statement (loads of super-curricular work including a MOOC on Robert Burns and adventurous wider reading-Russian Literature and a critical work by Nabokov). I also attended the Royal Drawing school and have sold paintings at exhibitions to private buyers, I am a trained actor (through Judy Dench's Mountview Academy), and have gone to a number of subject-related lectures at the British Library. I have had my personal statement read by a fellow at Cambridge University (a family friend and professor there) who has described it as 'brilliant' (although English isn't her subject). Assuming I do well in the new Admissions Test and at the interview (I'm applying to Girton College), I should have a reasonable chance, right? I'm also applying to Durham, St Andrews, York and Edinburgh.

The point of this long-winded post is, essentially, does anyone have any ideas to make my application more competitive, or am I ready to apply?

Any help would be appreciated beyond words. I'm really quite nervous in putting myself out like this on here!

ReputationRep:
    I am no expert, but everything looks pretty good to me. You'll stand a good chance if you ace your test and the interview. Out of curiosity, of all the colleges of Cambridge, why Girton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vodka)
    I am no expert, but everything looks pretty good to me. You'll stand a good chance if you ace your test and the interview. Out of curiosity, of all the colleges of Cambridge, why Girton?
    Well, it's quite simple really. I loved Girton when I visited it. I'm rather a quiet chap, and was unsuprisingly drawn to a serene and college in a quieter area. Although I essentially liked all of the colleges! Queens or Pembroke would have been my other choices.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Oh the Byrony!)
    I worked really hard and got the best grades in my school in every subject ; Eng Literature-A (94%), Government Politics-A (96%), History-A (90%) and Economics-A (85%); with an average UMS of over 93% (highest in the school) across my three best subjects (the average successful English Applicant at Cambridge has an average of 92%). I am now predicted three A*s at A Level.
    You will have a competitive application, which you can add to with your ELAT and then you are likely to have an interview.

Don't stress too much

By the way, are you doing linear AS/A-levels? If so raw marks are not the same as UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.