Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Corbyn bombs in leadership election debate Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's worthwhile watching this section of the debate to see just how rubbish Corbyn is and how cult-like his supporters are. Owen Smith's supporters and the non-Labour people listen quite respectfully when Corbyn speaks; when Owen Smith speaks Corbyn supporters jeer and hiss and laugh like they are somehow really in the know (they're "in the know" in the same way a hallucinating new age hippie thinks he "knows the real truth"; they are utterly deluded).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J2t6Xd8xmI

And of course, Owen Smith made some excellent points showing that Corbyn didn't know how many seats Labour needs to win government; surely the leader of the Labour Party should have that number in their head every single day. In response Corbyn was only able to utter pieties and unctuous platitudes, and saw "How dare you make this personal", as if Corbyn's utter incompetence isn't a valid area of debate.

It's also interesting how oily and nauseating Corbyn is when he dishonestly says, "After this is over, let's all come together". He said that the same day a document was leaked from his office showing that his staffers were drawing up an "enemies list" of people who had criticised him. A list of people who have criticised the leader and must be punished... sounds like Stalin's Russia

I don't agree with everything Owen Smith says, but at least he'd have an actual chance of getting into government. Corbyn is completely unelectable; I'm a Labour member and I live in one of the safest Labour seats in the country. We regularly go doorknocking and pretty much everyone I speak to in this safe labour seat, even in social housing who are basically clients of the Labour political machine and make up our reliable political base, say he's completely rubbish and they won't vote for him. This is confirmed by the polls.

Anyway, even if Smith loses this time the moderates will issue a leadership challenge to Corbyn each year from now on. He can't legitimately complain about this without being massively hypocritical, given when he was a backbencher (and even during his first leadership campaign) called for yearly leadership elections. I guess it's one rule for him and another for everyone else

KimKallstrom KingBradly

ReputationRep:
    Also quite interesting that most of the people on Corbyn's enemies list are among the most talented and independent-minded MPs in the PLP

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ermined-leader

Can't have that; better to have hysterical yes-women like Diane Abbott and Emily Thornberry who, when questioned, simply attack the questioner and claim they are being sexist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37332287

Among the list of Corbyn "enemies" is Tom Blenkinsop. He follows me on Twitter (I'm somewhat well-known in the intelligent, moderate Labour section of the Twitter world.. of course the follow is mutual... John McTernan also follows me and has retweeted me quite a lot... he's also really nice and highly intelligent), and he is genuinely a really nice, decent guy. I had an issue with my local council and even though he's not my local MP, he immediately got in touch to help me out. He's one of the nicest MPs in the PLP that I've met. Naturally the Corbynista despise him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Also quite interesting that most of the people on Corbyn's enemies list are among the most talented and independent-minded MPs in the PLP

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ermined-leader

Can't have that; better to have hysterical yes-women like Diane Abbott and Emily Thornberry who, when questioned, simply attack the questioner and claim they are being sexist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37332287

Among the list of Corbyn "enemies" is Tom Blenkinsop. He follows me on Twitter (I'm somewhat well-known in the intelligent, moderate Labour section of the Twitter world.. of course the follow is mutual... John McTernan also follows me and has retweeted me quite a lot... he's also really nice and highly intelligent), and he is genuinely a really nice, decent guy. I had an issue with my local council and even though he's not my local MP, he immediately got in touch to help me out. He's one of the nicest MPs in the PLP that I've met. Naturally the Corbynista despise him
    Cool story bro but nobody cares about what you think

ReputationRep:
    Owen smith would be such a rubbish leader. He would be miliband number two. I'm obviously not team Owen he's full of bull

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's worthwhile watching this section of the debate to see just how rubbish Corbyn is and how cult-like his supporters are. Owen Smith's supporters and the non-Labour people listen quite respectfully when Corbyn speaks; when Owen Smith speaks Corbyn supporters jeer and hiss and laugh like they are somehow really in the know (they're "in the know" in the same way a hallucinating new age hippie thinks he "knows the real truth"; they are utterly deluded).
    Yeah they were doing this on the BBC Question Time debate as well.

ReputationRep:
    Jezza has the people's interest at heart

ReputationRep:
    Momentum are a rabble, there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. I suspect the tree hugger looking people at the back were momentum judging by all the racket coming from there when Owen Smith was speaking.

Similarly when his messiah complex was challenged he tried to change the subject rather than counter-argue. As Owen Smith said, Labour are a movement not man(I'm sure he wanted to say personality cult but was being polite).

On a positive note he had a good PMQs today, let's hope he's going out with a bang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasharAssad)
    Cool story bro but nobody cares about what you think
    :lol: You realise the guy in your profile pic is not Bashar al-Assad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fazza6200)
    Owen smith would be such a rubbish leader. He would be miliband number two. I'm obviously not team Owen he's full of bull

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Imagine how David Milliband must be feeling

ReputationRep:
    gosh op you come across so bitter about Corbyn. How about he's actually allowed to have a shot at it, with a team of ministers who fully support him rather than half of his MP's trying to bring him down! No other candidate would have to win twice, but it looks like Corbyn will have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    gosh op you come across so bitter about Corbyn. How about he's actually allowed to have a shot at it, with a team of ministers who fully support him rather than half of his MP's trying to bring him down! No other candidate would have to win twice, but it looks like Corbyn will have to
    He did used to call for annual leadership elections when he was on the back benches, now he's not too keen on the idea it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    Actually if Corbyn has his way then John Smith would have had to have won it twice, despite getting 91% of the vote and Corbyn called for a new leadership election shortly afterwards.

- Calls for leaders to face leadership challenges after winning

- Whines when others do the same when he is leader*

Corbyn in a nut shell *

ReputationRep:
    :lol: You realise the guy in your profile pic is not Bashar al-Assad?
    what a genius you are, good boy :P

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find that the people on the list are those that have publicly spoken out, acted against him and challenged his leadership. I don't think anyone would be surprised by who was on the list or could not have drawn it up themselves, probably with quite a few more on it even. This is not to say that there should not be criticism, but I think even you recognise that the current situation has gone way beyond what could be described as direct criticism of things he may have done, and is an orchestrated attempt to publicly destroy him by any means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    He did used to call for annual leadership elections when he was on the back benches, now he's not too keen on the idea it seems.
    I think he is annoyed not so much by the challenge to his leadership, but by the completely inappropriate timing, all the dirty tricks that preceded it, and the various attempt to disenfranchise the Party members since.
    A straight out challenge would have been far less damaging for the Party. They would have had no problem doing it as the PLP had plenty of support for it.

ReputationRep:
    I think one of the things that most annoys Corbyn supporters about Owen Smith is that he keeps going on about uniting the party and being electable. This whole awful situation has been caused by not just the leadership challenge, but by the whole nasty devious way it has been undertaken. It is this very thing which is causing disunity in the party and making it unelectable, whoever is the leader. It may not now get elected under Corbyn, but it would be absolutely certain not to under Smith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Momentum are a rabble, there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. I suspect the tree hugger looking people at the back were momentum judging by all the racket coming from there when Owen Smith was speaking.

Similarly when his messiah complex was challenged he tried to change the subject rather than counter-argue. As Owen Smith said, Labour are a movement not man(I'm sure he wanted to say personality cult but was being polite).

On a positive note he had a good PMQs today, let's hope he's going out with a bang.
    The reason why lefties back Corbyn is because if he is removed from the position of Labour leader, the centrists will use this as proof that noone wants left wing politics or the 'hard left' etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saayagain)
    The reason why lefties back Corbyn is because if he is removed from the position of Labour leader, the centrists will use this as proof that noone wants left wing politics or the 'hard left' etc etc.
    The polls show that the public don't want his brand of politics. 85/89 polls before then "coup" had Labour behind the Tories, that's why the PLP are trying to oust him before it's too late and he causes an electoral wipe out.

The fact that he's the worst rated opposition leader in the history of polling seems to be lost on his followers, who think he'll win a GE because he's popular on Twitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Jezza has the people's interest at heart
    Ha ha ha! Yes he does.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Name:  oke.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  84.9 KB

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.