Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders- who is to blame? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    there always seems to be opinions that the media are to blame, and to some extent i agree- but i think one area has been overlooked. pretty much every week there is stuff on the news and in serious papers with statistics ike '1 in 3 children are obese', young people will hear this and realise that they maybe have a couple of friends slimmer and they can suddenly get the idea that they in fact obese when they're not. they will then get into the habit of crash dieting and from then on eating disorders develop.

i also think shops make it very hard to recover from eating disorders- places like woolworths do offers such as '4 for 99p' on chocolate bars... so it seems sensible to take advantage of it and before you know whats happening you're binging.

these are my own opinions and i'd be interested in others (feel free to shred them to bits)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think in some cases it's partly just that people would rather be slim than feel they're carrying a bit of flab (not the best terms maybe!) especially if those around them are slimmer, or even just because they want to look good in clothes they like... then it becomes a slippery slope and becomes fairly psychological. I'm not speaking from any experience but I think the media, peer pressure etc are blamed but are not the only reason.

The only person I know of (and I never even met them) who had major eating problems got into that because she was obsessed with running and being the fastest... ran more and more to get fit and I guess didn't eat the right food to keep up with it.

*edit* Also maybe partly about having some control if they feel they don't have it in other areas of their lives...? I don't know. Would be good if people who know would share, I get the feeling what they teach you in PSHE isn't always the whole picture...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    I get the feeling what they teach you in PSHE isn't always the whole picture...
    How many times they have changed that title of that subject without really teaching much relevant and accurate stuff with it?

ReputationRep:
    *prepares to blow his own trumpet* so of the dicussion on here about beauty might be interesting. In general I would say the media. As discussed on that thread, our preoccupation with beauty is completely unfounded. Yet in a society where the majority recognise a certain look as beauty its very difficult to walk a different path, and I certainly despite myself recognising it is unfounded find it hard to deviate from these values.

At the other end of the scale, the use of addatives to make food taste better, poor nutritional education by parents, the perception of healthy food and the declining amount of activity children do all led to obestity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    there always seems to be opinions that the media are to blame, and to some extent i agree- but i think one area has been overlooked. pretty much every week there is stuff on the news and in serious papers with statistics ike '1 in 3 children are obese', young people will hear this and realise that they maybe have a couple of friends slimmer and they can suddenly get the idea that they in fact obese when they're not. they will then get into the habit of crash dieting and from then on eating disorders develop.
    I don't think that the developement of an eating disorder can be blamed on one factor. The person will normally have some sort of problem before the eating disorder developes maybe not a serious promblem but slight. Then there is the media and the pictures of the perfect person that we are constantly bombarded with. And I think the news of spreading obesity can't help. Add this too personal experiances like maybe being bullied as a child because they were slightly chubby or having a mother who dieted and was obsessed with it as a child. All these factors can be to "blame" for the development of an eating disorder.

ReputationRep:
    The idiot parents of the obese kids and the idiot obese adults themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    The idiot parents of the obese kids and the idiot obese adults themselves.
    agreed parents should teach their children that they do not have to finish what's on their plate if they're not hungry. Also what about the new figures that the average american spends 5 HOURS in front of the tv PER DAY. THAT'S JUST INSANE.
    Even worse though is those people who drive to the gym (in their big SUV's i might add) spend an hour on a bicycle watching more tv and the drive to work. CYCLE TO WORK YOU MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    obesity has increased a lot, because of too much eating and no exercise. but the food has changed a lot too, it contains more sugar and fat than it used to.

i think that you can't blame only one factor when it comes to anorexia (or bulimia for that matter) there are many things that contributes some that has already been mentioned on this thread. but it is also a lot about control, everything else in your life might be a total mess but at least you can contol what you are eating. a diet can also lead to it, you loose weight, like it and don't really think about the fact that you are not eating enough.

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking about both ends of the spectrum here, obesity and anorxia and bolimia(sp??)

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think about the Atkins diet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    i don't see how it can be healthy to remove a food group. and it encourages crash dieting (the weight loss is so quick) and it encourages people to diet without continuing a balanced diet. *basically i just don't think it's sensible*

and i feel really guilty now cos i'm about to get in my car to go the gym (but it is pouring and i'm probably only going to swim and i'm going to have a goss with a friend)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    it's bad, if you want to loose weight and don't go up again you should eat a balanced diet. with atkins you don't get everything that you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Are we talking about both ends of the spectrum here, obesity and anorxia and bolimia(sp??)
    An eating disorder can be anything from anorexia to binge eating. It is when a person has a problem with their eating it covers both extremes and everything in between. My mum was a psychiatrist working with people with eating disorders before she retired I can go and ask her what she thinks if people are interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Belumic I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)

i also think shops make it very hard to recover from eating disorders- places like woolworths do offers such as '4 for 99p' on chocolate bars... so it seems sensible to take advantage of it and before you know whats happening you're binging.

these are my own opinions and i'd be interested in others (feel free to shred them to bits)

lou xxx
    Another overlooked thing to 'blame' eating disorders on is depression. If a person is depressed it becomes very easy to develop an eating disorder.

ReputationRep:
    nobody is to blame....eating disorders results from having a chemical imbalance...like being bi-polar, or schitzphrenic(so not spelt right)...it isn't anyone's fault...it's also about control, makes u feel in charge when nothing in ur life if controlled by urself....

(Original post by princessshauna)
    nobody is to blame....eating disorders results from having a chemical imbalance...like being bi-polar, or schitzphrenic(so not spelt right)...it isn't anyone's fault...it's also about control, makes u feel in charge when nothing in ur life if controlled by urself....
    Biology can only pre-dispose one towards weight - it doesn't make one fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Biology can only pre-dispose one towards weight - it doesn't make one fat.
    Huh?
    We're talking about eating DISORDERS: i.e: anorexia, bulimia (note the spelling), binge eating disorder (and a whole mulitude of others, including sub-clinical). I don't believe the media causes eating disorders but it certainly exacerbates them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Huh?
    We're talking about eating DISORDERS: i.e: anorexia, bulimia (note the spelling), binge eating disorder (and a whole mulitude of others, including sub-clinical). I don't believe the media causes eating disorders but it certainly exacerbates them.
    I think there are lots of things that can predispose people to developing eating disorders. Things like being a higher achiever at school, puberty, problems at home etc. The media doesn't help. Its can be a control thing as well. A way of controlling something in your life when everything else feels uncontrollable. Sometimes it doesn't start off with the weight being the issue. Some people can't control how awful they feel, but they can control whether or not they eat. And it stems for there. Well thats what its like for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I think there are lots of things that can predispose people to developing eating disorders. Things like being a higher achiever at school, puberty, problems at home etc. The media doesn't help. Its can be a control thing as well. A way of controlling something in your life when everything else feels uncontrollable. Sometimes it doesn't start off with the weight being the issue. Some people can't control how awful they feel, but they can control whether or not they eat. And it stems for there. Well thats what its like for me.
    Excellent summary. That was what it was like for me too. I couldn't control my home-life, pressure on me to do well academically etc but I could control MYSELF. I am recoverED but occasionally relapse.

I wonder what everyone thinks of the proliferation of so-called pro-ana sites.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.