Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Excellent summary. That was what it was like for me too. I couldn't control my home-life, pressure on me to do well academically etc but I could control MYSELF. I am recoverED but occasionally relapse.

I wonder what everyone thinks of the proliferation of so-called pro-ana sites.
    Congratulations on recovering. I seem to go up and down like a yo yo. Those pro ana never really did anything for me. Not the picture anyway. It was more reading what people did. I don't agree with them. But i agree with free speech. At the same time is a dangerous, addictive thing to get involved with and i hope people in a more stable state of mind than me can see that and not get involved in the first place! Of course it never works like that in real life....

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain why I've suddenly completely lost my appetite and why I'm not eating properly? It's really worrying, as usually I'm a good eater and like my food - But for the past few days I've hardly eaten much at all. It's not as if I'm ill or anything, I feel normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Can anyone explain why I've suddenly completely lost my appetite and why I'm not eating properly? It's really worrying, as usually I'm a good eater and like my food - But for the past few days I've hardly eaten much at all. It's not as if I'm ill or anything, I feel normal.
    I don't think anybody here is qualified to give you those sorts of answers . The best person to talk to is a healthcare professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I don't think anybody here is qualified to give you those sorts of answers . The best person to talk to is a healthcare professional.
    I feel so un-hungry that I reckon I could just live off drink (water etc.) for the next 3 weeks and feel fine.

It's odd because usually I'm a good eater and like my food. I'm thinking of going to the doctor's if I feel the same in the next couple of days, but I was just wanting to know if this is common, or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    there always seems to be opinions that the media are to blame, and to some extent i agree- but i think one area has been overlooked. pretty much every week there is stuff on the news and in serious papers with statistics ike '1 in 3 children are obese', young people will hear this and realise that they maybe have a couple of friends slimmer and they can suddenly get the idea that they in fact obese when they're not. they will then get into the habit of crash dieting and from then on eating disorders develop.

i also think shops make it very hard to recover from eating disorders- places like woolworths do offers such as '4 for 99p' on chocolate bars... so it seems sensible to take advantage of it and before you know whats happening you're binging.

these are my own opinions and i'd be interested in others (feel free to shred them to bits)

lou xxx
    I've had eating disorders in the past and i'd never blame it on the media. I never looked at a celebrity and thought, I want to be that thin. I just got into a little dieting comeptition with myself that went too far. I think many recovering anorexics/bulemics/binge-eaters would say that their problems came from within?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessshauna)
    nobody is to blame....eating disorders results from having a chemical imbalance...like being bi-polar, or schitzphrenic(so not spelt right)...it isn't anyone's fault...it's also about control, makes u feel in charge when nothing in ur life if controlled by urself....
    anything can be blamed on 'chemical imbalances of the brain'. people who are more prone to murder are shown to have a 'chemical imbalance' of some sort, does that mean that they should accept no responsibility?

everything can ultimately be put down to genetics and 'personality disorders', but for the most cases it's the choices we make that have the ultimate effect on our lifestyle. obviously this mentality can not be applied to everything (as you've mentioned schitzophrenia), but you can't always portion off blame to 'imbalances'.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so un-hungry that I reckon I could just live off drink (water etc.) for the next 3 weeks and feel fine.

It's odd because usually I'm a good eater and like my food. I'm thinking of going to the doctor's if I feel the same in the next couple of days, but I was just wanting to know if this is common, or not.

I've had it happen to me before, but only when i've started new medication and/or i was stressed about something. I don't really have any answers apart from even if you don't feel like eating, try having enough fluids and food to give your body some energy.

Good luck hun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

I've had it happen to me before, but only when i've started new medication and/or i was stressed about something. I don't really have any answers apart from even if you don't feel like eating, try having enough fluids and food to give your body some energy.

Good luck hun
    Just eat little meals to keep your metabolism going and your energy levels up - some people go off eating in the summer, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    I've had eating disorders in the past and i'd never blame it on the media. I never looked at a celebrity and thought, I want to be that thin. I just got into a little dieting comeptition with myself that went too far. I think many recovering anorexics/bulemics/binge-eaters would say that their problems came from within?
    Yes i think i'd be more inclined to agree with that. Genetics may play a part and media has its place. But that wasn't what triggered the illness in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessshauna)
    nobody is to blame....eating disorders results from having a chemical imbalance...like being bi-polar, or schitzphrenic(so not spelt right)...it isn't anyone's fault...it's also about control, makes u feel in charge when nothing in ur life if controlled by urself....
    55% of the american population is overweight they can't all have chemical imbalances a lot of it is down to the fact that they don't exercise, eat unhealthily and spend their day's sitting on their arses. I mean what about those people who take their car to drive to the corner shops WALK PEOPLE!! otherwise you'll all end up with heart failure and high blood pressure. you can't blame everything on genetics a lot of it is down to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

Good luck hun
    Thanks.

Thing is, it's quite worrying as this thing is usually associated with girls/women, but I'm male.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    55% of the american population is overweight they can't all have chemical imbalances a lot of it is down to the fact that they don't exercise, eat unhealthily and spend their day's sitting on their arses. I mean what about those people who take their car to drive to the corner shops WALK PEOPLE!! otherwise you'll all end up with heart failure and high blood pressure. you can't blame everything on genetics a lot of it is down to you.
    i think you've just summed up the feelings from my above post. to view obesity, for example, as a 'faultless' illness is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    55% of the american population is overweight.
    WTF?!! OMG, that is shocking! I thought it would be 25% MAX!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Yes i think i'd be more inclined to agree with that. Genetics may play a part and media has its place. But that wasn't what triggered the illness in the first place.
    I think what the media does is distort perceptions of other people's weight. When you're constantly bombarded with images of slimness, it shifts the goalposts so that normally proportioned people seem larger. But you have to think that most skinny celebrities are constantly hungry and probably have loads of medical complaints that come with under-eating such as EXCESSIVE body hair - I bet if Victoria Beckham couldn't afford laser surgery she'd be a walking yetti.

ReputationRep:
    WTF?!! OMG, that is shocking! I thought it would be 25% MAX!
    55% of americans are overweight using BMP which is Weight(kg)/Height(m) squared. You're defined as overweight if your BMP is over 26.9 for guys and 25.4 for the ladies. Obese on the other hand is BMP over 30

ReputationRep:
    55% of americans are overweight using BMP which is Weight(kg)/Height(m) squared. You're defined as overweight if your BMP is over 26.9 for guys and 25.4 for the ladies. Obese on the other hand is BMP over 30
    otherwise known as BMI over here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    otherwise known as BMI over here!
    lol oops got confused with other thread on BNP it is BMI sorry

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Thing is, it's quite worrying as this thing is usually associated with girls/women, but I'm male.
    Yes more common in females, but not unheard of in males. And there are lots more males that have it and don't mention it at all. You should definetely see someone if things don't get better soon though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    I think what the media does is distort perceptions of other people's weight. When you're constantly bombarded with images of slimness, it shifts the goalposts so that normally proportioned people seem larger. But you have to think that most skinny celebrities are constantly hungry and probably have loads of medical complaints that come with under-eating such as EXCESSIVE body hair - I bet if Victoria Beckham couldn't afford laser surgery she'd be a walking yetti.
    Definitely. And infertility, heart problems etc aren't "advertised" either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Definitely. And infertility, heart problems etc aren't "advertised" either.
    Yup, and eyesight problems, hair and teeth damage. I'd never wish to be thin again. love the lard.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.