Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been hearing alot that internationals who graduate for uk arent getting a chance to work there because of visa problems and usually end up going back to their home country?I dont get why they dont apply for a visa at canda or somethingCan anyone shed light if they were able to find work or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatoHeadshot)
    I've been hearing alot that internationals who graduate for uk arent getting a chance to work there because of visa problems and usually end up going back to their home country?I dont get why they dont apply for a visa at canda or somethingCan anyone shed light if they were able to find work or not?
    I'm not an international student but I have applied for work visas for some.

The U.K job market isn't easy for anyone let alone for international students. However, there will be plenty of international students working in the UK on mainly tier 2 or tier 5 visas.

Tier 5 visa are a lot easier although are only short term. Tier 2 visa have a number of requirements which mean you are more likely to secure a visa if you are:

- Paid a decent amount of money
    - Are in a technical area of expertise
    - Are in a profession deemed to have a low number of skilled workers within it

Organisations have to have licences to be able to obtain either of these visas for their employees. Many organisations won't have the relevant licence. Those that do tend to be larger multinational corporations/employers with large workforces, or who are within a particular sector that rely heavily on international job applicants.

So it really depends what kind of job you are looking for post graduation as to what your chances are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'm not an international student but I have applied for work visas for some.

The U.K job market isn't easy for anyone let alone for international students. However, there will be plenty of international students working in the UK on mainly tier 2 or tier 5 visas.

Tier 5 visa are a lot easier although are only short term. Tier 2 visa have a number of requirements which mean you are more likely to secure a visa if you are:

- Paid a decent amount of money
    - Are in a technical area of expertise
    - Are in a profession deemed to have a low number of skilled workers within it

Organisations have to have licences to be able to obtain either of these visas for their employees. Many organisations won't have the relevant licence. Those that do tend to be larger multinational corporations/employers with large workforces, or who are within a particular sector that rely heavily on international job applicants.

So it really depends what kind of job you are looking for post graduation as to what your chances are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello,

I know I am posting a year later but it would be really helpful if you could let me know if international students who studied in the UK for 6 years can apply for tier 5 visas when they are back to their countries.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astrocilia)
    Hello,

I know I am posting a year later but it would be really helpful if you could let me know if international students who studied in the UK for 6 years can apply for tier 5 visas when they are back to their countries.

Thank you!
    Yes, you can apply for a Tier 5 from outside of the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-government...exchange/apply
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Yes, you can apply for a Tier 5 from outside of the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-government...exchange/apply
    Thank you J-SP,

Is it not possible to apply for youth mobility scheme?
    And regarding the goveverment exchange tier 5 will the person have to return back to their country after the 12-24 months of the work experience or they can switch to another visa type (eg. Tier 2)?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you J-SP,

Is it not possible to apply for youth mobility scheme?
    And regarding the goveverment exchange tier 5 will the person have to return back to their country after the 12-24 months of the work experience or they can switch to another visa type (eg. Tier 2)?
    Yes - you could apply for the youth mobility tier 5 if you meet the criteria.

No - you can't switch from a Tier 5 to tier 2. You'd have to apply for a Tier 2 separately but would have to return to your home country to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Yes - you could apply for the youth mobility tier 5 if you meet the criteria.

No - you can't switch from a Tier 5 to tier 2. You'd have to apply for a Tier 2 separately but would have to return to your home country to do that.
    Hi JS-P,

all these information are really useful. So the fact that the person lived in the UK for 6 years does not restrict the ability to apply for the youth mobility scheme if all other requirements are covered.
    So if during the tier 5 time in the UK the person gets married to a European citizen with permanent British citizenship, do they still have to go back to their home country to switch visas or they can find a permanent job after the completion of the exchange program?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    oooo

ReputationRep:
    Hi JS-P,

all these information are really useful. So the fact that the person lived in the UK for 6 years does not restrict the ability to apply for the youth mobility scheme if all other requirements are covered.
    So if during the tier 5 time in the UK the person gets married to a European citizen with permanent British citizenship, do they still have to go back to their home country to switch visas or they can find a permanent job after the completion of the exchange program?

Thank you.
    I am not an immigration expert, you really need to seek advice from one to get all the technical details. But as I understand it there is nothing stopping someone applying for a Tier 5 unless they have already come to the UK on that type of visa, as well as meeting al the other eligibility criteria.

Who knows what will happen with EU citizens rights post Brexit, so I wouldn't want to comment on your rights should you marry someone with EU citizenship or what the process would be. You may have to return to your home country as part of the visa process though, but apart from the cost there isn't really as issue for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much JS-P!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.