The Student Room Group

A Question for international graduates from the UK

I've been hearing alot that internationals who graduate for uk arent getting a chance to work there because of visa problems and usually end up going back to their home country?I dont get why they dont apply for a visa at canda or somethingCan anyone shed light if they were able to find work or not?
Original post by J-SP
I'm not an international student but I have applied for work visas for some.

The U.K job market isn't easy for anyone let alone for international students. However, there will be plenty of international students working in the UK on mainly tier 2 or tier 5 visas.

Tier 5 visa are a lot easier although are only short term. Tier 2 visa have a number of requirements which mean you are more likely to secure a visa if you are:

- Paid a decent amount of money
- Are in a technical area of expertise
- Are in a profession deemed to have a low number of skilled workers within it

Organisations have to have licences to be able to obtain either of these visas for their employees. Many organisations won't have the relevant licence. Those that do tend to be larger multinational corporations/employers with large workforces, or who are within a particular sector that rely heavily on international job applicants.

So it really depends what kind of job you are looking for post graduation as to what your chances are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

I know I am posting a year later but it would be really helpful if you could let me know if international students who studied in the UK for 6 years can apply for tier 5 visas when they are back to their countries.

Thank you!
Original post by J-SP
Yes, you can apply for a Tier 5 from outside of the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-government-authorised-exchange/apply

Thank you J-SP,

Is it not possible to apply for youth mobility scheme?
And regarding the goveverment exchange tier 5 will the person have to return back to their country after the 12-24 months of the work experience or they can switch to another visa type (eg. Tier 2)?
Original post by J-SP
Yes - you could apply for the youth mobility tier 5 if you meet the criteria.

No - you can't switch from a Tier 5 to tier 2. You'd have to apply for a Tier 2 separately but would have to return to your home country to do that.

Hi JS-P,

all these information are really useful. So the fact that the person lived in the UK for 6 years does not restrict the ability to apply for the youth mobility scheme if all other requirements are covered.
So if during the tier 5 time in the UK the person gets married to a European citizen with permanent British citizenship, do they still have to go back to their home country to switch visas or they can find a permanent job after the completion of the exchange program?

Thank you.
oooo
Thank you so much JS-P!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending