Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

On Monday I started college, and I am taking four subjects; Psychology, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I choose these because for two years I wanted to be a Child Psychiatrist, but now I'm not sure, as I wouldn't be qualified until I'm 31-33, and that's not what I want.

For three days the teachers have been telling us how stressful A-Levels are, and how hard they are, and I really don't think I'll be able to do my best with four A-Levels. Not only does dropping Psychology relieve some stress, as I'll have more time to study for the other subjects, but it also makes my timetable less tiring and hectic, and I still get to keep three very helpful A-Levels.
    Can anyone give me some advice, and say if this would be a good idea, or if dropping one of my other subjects would be better? I definitely want to drop one.

Also, if I do keep Maths, Biology and Chemistry, except from medicine related careers, what careers would open up to me? Thank you!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RhiannaTimms)
    Hello

On Monday I started college, and I am taking four subjects; Psychology, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I choose these because for two years I wanted to be a Child Psychiatrist, but now I'm not sure, as I wouldn't be qualified until I'm 31-33, and that's not what I want.

For three days the teachers have been telling us how stressful A-Levels are, and how hard they are, and I really don't think I'll be able to do my best with four A-Levels. Not only does dropping Psychology relieve some stress, as I'll have more time to study for the other subjects, but it also makes my timetable less tiring and hectic, and I still get to keep three very helpful A-Levels.
    Can anyone give me some advice, and say if this would be a good idea, or if dropping one of my other subjects would be better? I definitely want to drop one.

Also, if I do keep Maths, Biology and Chemistry, except from medicine related careers, what careers would open up to me? Thank you!
    Hey,

This is what you could go into with the three core subjects you've stated:

Biology -
    If you're wanting to do research: Biochemist, Biomedical scientist Botanist, Geneticist, Zoologist, Marine Biologist, Vet, Forensic Scientist.
    If agriculture is your interest: Ecologist, Farmer, Tree Surgeon, Environmental Scientist, Soil Scientist (it is a real thing, see here).
    If you enjoy sports: Physiotherapist.
    If you want to go into Engineering: Environmental/Biomedical/Biological Engineer

Chemistry:
    Research: Chemist, Forensic Scientist.
    Consumerism: Food Scientist, Market Researcher
    Engineering: Petroleum/Chemical/Mechanical Engineer

Maths:
    Research: Mathematician, Statistician.
    Education: University lecturer, School teacher.
    Business: Accountant, Banking and Finance related careers (e.g. - Finance Advisor, Stockbroker, Investment Banker), Economist.
    IT: Data Analyst, IT consultant, Games Developer, Software Programmer, Web Designer, you can go into Computer Science too.

These are just a collection of ideas that I could think of and some I researched; I'm sure that are a lot more careers you can go into with these subjects.

With regards to Psychology you can do a number of different things instead of the standard Psychiatry, Psychologist route.

Psychology:
    Academia: University lecturer, School teacher, Educational/Occupational Psychologist
    Business: Sales, work as part of an advertising/marketing team, Market researcher, Industrial/Organisational Psychologist, you can also work in IT & Finance.
    HR (Human Resource): HR Officer/Manager, Recruitment Consultant
    Government: Civil Servant, Social Worker
    Law: Barrister, Magistrate.

Do you enjoy psychology? You say that if you dropped it, it would make the workload better, so I'm guessing even without studying the subject you'd still be content with the careers you want to go into?
    Mind you, even if you don't study psychology now at A level and you still want to study in the future, there's always opportunities to take modules outside the main discipline of study at university (if the department/timetabling allows it) and you could study it as a Masters or as a conversion course if you're wanting to psychology related degree later on in life.

Bio, Chem and Maths themselves are already very studious subjects needing a lot of time and effort into them to achieve good grades in the exams. They also lead to good careers too. My advice would be, if you want to study psychology because it's a slightly less hassle to study compared to the core subjects and you want to study the social science because you'd like to do something psychology related in the future, by all means go for Psychology A level and drop one of the other core subjects.
    If you're wanting to go into Science/Research, usually the entry requirements for university will ask for 1 or 2 sciences, and Psychology is considered as a science based subject.

When I did my A levels, I studied both Biology and Psychology as A levels and I had the option of going into many different biological fields. Both Biology and Psychology are very much linked in some ways at A levels which is handy. Some content you learn about biological psychology appears in biology and you learn that in depth.

If you are considering something like Pharmacy or Biochemistry, taking Biology and Chemistry is essential and as a third subject you can do either Psychology orMaths.

Just see how much workload you can handle before making your decision. I've had friends in the past who have taken two sciences and taken a "lighter" subject just to balance their work/life balance, so it made it easier for them. On the other hand, I've had friends who have two sciences and maths and have coped just fine but learnt to manage their time well.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me!

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty if you've been wanting to go into psychology field then there are a lot of other options so I would say don't drop it. I do bio, chem and maths (I dropped Language because I'm second year) and after a week of A2 I am so stressed. Psychology isn't on the same scale of difficulty as the sciences according to my friend who does psychology, bio and chem. If you're looking for something that relieves stress, drop biology. It is the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could stick with it and see how you progress from the first year to the second year?

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.