Turn on thread page Beta

Is Tony Blair a liar?

ReputationRep:
    What, in particular, do you believe he lied about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Iraq's weaponry is the main thing he apparantly lied about.

ReputationRep:
    i think he'd have to be a good liar to be a politician, cynical but true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    i think he'd have to be a good liar to be a politician, cynical but true
    I think liars a bit strong.......he just selected the information which supported his case :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    If we were to get very pedantic over this we could say he didnt lie, he merely 'misled'. A better wording of the question would have been to ask if he was dishonest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Lad)
    I think liars a bit strong.......he just selected the information which supported his case :cool:
    i wasn't talking about iraq i was being more general, maybe in the words of whatever that guy was called he is merely "economical with the truth"

ReputationRep:
    Economical with the truth?

ReputationRep:
    jonathan aitken that's the one

ReputationRep:
    If he did mislead the country over the WMD were we still right to go to war?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Economical with the truth?
    great minds think alike

ReputationRep:
    I think so, but it should have been presented as a war to remove Saddam Hussein rather than as a war to remove a threat to this country.

ReputationRep:
    The outcome of the war was just in ideal, though we have yet to see if it will be just in result - its just a shame they felt the need to create an unsupportable lie to 'validate' it.

ReputationRep:
    I think so, but it should have been presented as a war to remove Saddam Hussein rather than as a war to remove a threat to this country.
    North Korea is more of a threat than Iraq ever was, with all the fuss some people have kicked up over Iraq there less likely to move against North Korea!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly so, the only problem with this is international law and the fact that doing so would have resulted in cries of imperialism etc etc 'what right do we have to interfere in other countries' and the like, though considering that we went against popular local and international opinion anyway and have exactly the same accusations and questions facing us i dont see how much of a difference it would have made.

ReputationRep:
    North Korea is more of a threat than Iraq ever was, with all the fuss some people have kicked up over Iraq there less likely to move against North Korea!
    Iraqs military was totally impotent after the first Gulf War, North Koreas is fully active and a war against it would have been lengthier and far costlier in terms of money and lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Exactly so, the only problem with this is international law and the fact that doing so would have resulted in cries of imperialism etc etc 'what right do we have to interfere in other countries' and the like, though considering that we went against popular local and international opinion anyway and have exactly the same accusations and questions facing us i dont see how much of a difference it would have made.
    so do u support the war?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but North Korea would have been a difficult war

You make a good point, though I supported the removal of Saddam Hussein the military resources used in Iraq could have been used better elsewhere such as North Korea.

ReputationRep:
    Iraqs military was totally impotent after the first Gulf War, North Koreas is fully active and a war against it would have been lengthier and far costlier in terms of money and lives.
    But is a far greater threat!

ReputationRep:

and they don't have any oil

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.